U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 12:58 AM

108 posts, read 218,856 times

Advertisements

I absolutely cannot stand bugs and moving there soon, not sure how I'll deal with it. When I see a house fly I kill it immediatly since finding out they vomit on everything.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 01:12 AM

1,393 posts, read 2,910,836 times
Bugs are a fact of life in Florida. Anyone wanting to live here must realize that. If it isn't palmetto bugs, it's mosquitos, no-see-ums, love bugs, fire ants, mole crickets... just to name a few.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:25 AM

339 posts, read 1,203,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartygurl View Post
Bugs are a fact of life in Florida. Anyone wanting to live here must realize that. If it isn't palmetto bugs, it's mosquitos, no-see-ums, love bugs, fire ants, mole crickets... just to name a few.

Yeah...but you don't have to deal with it.

One of the most important things, if you don't like bugs don't move to a house around a bunch of trees. Palmetto bugs create nests up there like birds.

Even with pesticides and everything sealed there would still be the stray Palmetto bug that would terrorize the house. And like someone mentioned, they can come from ANYWHERE. There was 1 house I lived in Brandon...and couldn't figure out why the hell there was a Palmetto bug on the floor, in my room every morning. Turns out the attic door in the closet had a huge gap. I sealed it with tissue and never seen another one again. Bathroom pipes have also been common culprits.

Leaving stuff stacked around the house also creates nests. I also found it very helpful to buy store-bought lawn pesticide and spray all around the lawn. Kills them dead.

I never got used to roaches. Over time I got more and more fearful of them. I'm just glad I don't have to worry about it out here...6 months winter

Old 07-09-2011, 07:18 AM

7,196 posts, read 4,911,256 times
I used to be terrified of them when we first moved down from Connecticut seven years ago, but I'm not anymore. Just something you get used to after a while, I guess. I still get the heebie jeebies if I see one in the house, but I either suck it up with the hose attachment on the vacuum, or else I whack it with the broom and sweep it out the door. Or, if my husband is home, I make him deal with it.

Far scarier to me are the hairy spiders. :shudder: I'm not used to those yet AT ALL, and I doubt I ever will be! YUCK!

Old 07-09-2011, 07:52 AM

638 posts, read 1,352,199 times
Allegedly there are some sophisticated and safe pesticides out there meant for indoors that have no effect on mammals and do not directly kill the bugs, but disrupt their growth cycle somehow so they can't reproduce. A friend of mine found something like this at a hardware store in St. Pete years ago and said it worked.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:34 PM

14,267 posts, read 17,454,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algenubi View Post
I absolutely cannot stand bugs and moving there soon, not sure how I'll deal with it. When I see a house fly I kill it immediatly since finding out they vomit on everything.
Last April I had a hair curling experience after killing a couple of flies. A few days after I moved into a house (and it was a nice house on a canal) I began seeing tiny worm-like creatures in the sink and on the plates in the dish drainer. Yuck!
http://bestsmileys.com/puking/2.gif (broken link)

Snowbirds had just left the previous week, and the home was professionally cleaned by a maid service, so I was puzzled. I don't know if the previous tenants ate a lot of meat and poured grease down the disposal, but I can only tell you what I saw. They began spreading onto the counter, so I tried using bleach and antibacterial cleanser. I sprinkled some boric acid on the counter, but that didn't work well either. So I poured drain cleaner down the disposal and into the drain on the other side. I still saw them in the sink the next day coming out of the drain. I tried to comfort myself by thinking they were some kind of flour worm, but they weren't in any cabinets or in the pantry.

I got on the internet and began reading about maggots. One person on a blog suggested pouring boiling water over the small worms. Pouring hot water on any living creature is disturbing to me (although I guess pesticides & drain cleaner aren't much fun) but I hoped death would be quick. I used the 4 burners to boil as much water as possible at one time. It worked instantly. For the next week I boiled a pot of water and poured the water down the drain twice a day. I never saw those disgusting creepy crawlers again.

I read that to keep your pipes clean, it's a good idea to use boiling water once a week anyway in both the kitchen and the bathroom.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:39 PM

14,267 posts, read 17,454,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartygurl View Post
Very well said - plain & clear!!

Old 07-09-2011, 04:57 PM

Over the years I have stayed at two places in Florida - a private home and a hotel - that had tiny, tiny brown bugs coming up from the drains in the bathrooms. Not a lot of them, just enough to be noticable. I looked it up online, and found that some people pour bleach down the drains a few times a week to prevent them.

Regarding the worms coming from the drain, I wonder if they were fly larvae coming up from some type of food residue left inside the garbage disposal? My neighbor had a recent interesting experience. She walked into her living room one day to find approximately 50 flies on her sliders. She kept killing them, but they kept appearing, new ones daily. She also started to see small black worms on the floor in front of her fireplace.

She called an exterminator, who looked up in her chimney and found a dead body of a squirrel. He said the black worms were fly larvae, produced by the decay process of the dead body, and they matured into the flies.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:10 PM

57 posts, read 135,147 times
Born and raised in the South (NC, both Piedmont and coast), relatives in North Florida so down every summer, have a home in Sarasota now, live in the Caribbean on an island...always thought it was funny -the name "Palmetto Bug" for a big, friggin, cockroach (in the islands they call them "Mahogony Bugs" since instead of nesting in Palmetto trees they nest in the Mahogony trees here).
An exterminator in Wrightsville Beach, NC, told me once that it is actually the "American Cockroach". They live outside, just kind of happen to wander indoors and freak the living crap out of us humans..."much better than the German cockroach, the little ones that breed inside your home, walls, cabinets" (ick!!!). I know those little ones from my 5 years in NYC...and, as much as the "Palmetto Bugs" still gross me out and freak me out when they take flight in my house or when I am outdoors and happen to be in their way, they are harmless and whacking them with a broom goes a LONG way (Windex also kills them, a la "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"...cleans anything that the roach happens to be on too! A bonus )!!
By the way, think twice if you are tempted to kill the lizards or geckos that are crawling around your house....they EAT the giant cockroaches!!! Didn't think ANYTHING would eat them but saw this little guy nail one once...go lizards, go!!!

Old 07-09-2011, 07:39 PM

I have always like the geckos for that reason. Unlike bugs, they don't scare me at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area