Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2011, 01:23 PM

355 posts, read 923,121 times

Advertisements

Vacationing on LBK for the 2nd time this August--can't wait!

Would like to explore AMI this time, too!

We are a couple in our 40s with 3 elementary aged kids. We'd love your advice on inexpensive restaurants/coffee shops or any other unique shops that shouldn't be missed!

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 02:04 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,920,068 times
Here are my suggestions:

The Bridge St Bistro, on Bradenton Beach, formerly The SunHouse, very family friendly, I haven't been there since it switched hands but my AMI friends tell me it's great. I think they have live music there on the weekends as well.

Rod & Reel Pier is a great place to grab lunch. They make a great blackened grouper sandwich. It's out on N Shore Dr on the northern most are of AMI.

For breakfast you should try Peach's on E Bay Dr in Holmes Beach or Minnie's Beach Café on Gulf Dr in Holmes Beach. Minnie's is probably a bit better then Peach's.

Banana Cabana Caribbean Grill is another good place to bring the kids. It's also on Gulf Dr but on Holmes Beach. I like their conch fritters

Next would be the Beachhouse Restaurant. As the name implies it's right on the beach. IMO, the atmosphere is a bit better then the food

The Sandbar is another popular restaurant. It's owned by the same people as The Beachhouse. IMO, the atmosphere is better than the food. The Sandbar is also a bit pricey for what you get.

Not sure if you're into Japanese food but Ocean Star is probably the best on the island. They have great sushi.

The last few times I have gone to Rotten Ralph's it's been pretty rotten so I'm not going to recommend going there.

As far as things to do, my recommendation is nothing Well, seriously there's not a whole lot to do on the islands other than going to the beach. I remember someone saying the AMI Historical Museum is interesting. I have not made it here yet so I can't give a first hand account.

I know some people do Segway Tours and I've heard Zegway by the Bay is the best on the island.

If you want to travel over into the Sarasota area you have Mote Marine, GWIZ, Jungle Gardens and the Children's Garden. All are great fun for kids.

If you decide to do Mote make sure to book a bay explorer trip. Their biologist takes you on a boat through the bay and pulls up all kinds of neat critters.

I love Jungle Gardens and it's great fun for elementary ages kids. They have alligator shows, birds hows, reptile shows, etc. If you think you want to go there visit their website and print off their coupon for $1 off per person.

If you decide you only want to travel over the bridge into Bradenton then I would suggest visiting the South FL Museum and Bishop Planetarium. You can visit the areas very own manatee, Snooty!

I think I have pictures in my profile of most of the places I mentioned.

Have an awesome trip

Old 07-13-2011, 07:57 PM

355 posts, read 923,121 times
Thank you so much, SoFlGirl!

Old 07-14-2011, 06:59 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
The Beachhouse was one of the worst fish joints I ever ate in the. The shrimp were so tough and rubbery you could bounce them off the walls; put squeakers in them and they'd make good toys for Yorkshire Terriers. And lots of salt in everything.

I'd rather eat at Long John Silver.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:03 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
The Beachhouse was one of the worst fish joints I ever ate in the. The shrimp were so tough and rubbery you could bounce them off the walls; put squeakers in them and they'd make good toys for Yorkshire Terriers. And lots of salt in everything.

I'd rather eat at Long John Silver.
I agree - Beach House is terrible. It's really a place just to go and have a drink and look at the water.

Gulf Drive Cafe, which is near Beach House is a neat place, been there forever and has decent food, they have really great breakfast!

Old 07-14-2011, 07:32 AM

588 posts, read 1,800,109 times
Next week I'm flying in for a friends wedding and the reception is being held at the Beach House. I've read plenty of Yelp reviews and I already am not optimistic with the food. This seems to further confirm it. Also looking at the weather, it seems like it's been a humid mess, and this will also be an outdoor ceremony.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:48 AM

386 posts, read 1,015,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonlime22 View Post
Vacationing on LBK for the 2nd time this August--can't wait!

Would like to explore AMI this time, too!

We are a couple in our 40s with 3 elementary aged kids. We'd love your advice on inexpensive restaurants/coffee shops or any other unique shops that shouldn't be missed!

TIA!
Check out Ginney's & Jane'es, 9807 Gulf Drive, Anna Maria Island. www.annamariacafe.com

I discovered it with a friend over the July 4th week-end. You can also read my 7/3/11 review on it (barbsthoughts) at Reviews of Hotels, Flights and Vacation Rentals - TripAdvisor
under Anna Maria Island, Fl, Restaurants.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:36 PM

453 posts, read 1,742,223 times
I started a thread after our AMI visit in May, which you might find helpful with regard to good places to eat:

Great Week on AMI!

Rhys
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area