U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 07:25 AM

122 posts, read 156,440 times

Advertisements

Just curious, but are the average monthly utility costs for this area?

Cable
Electric
Water
Gas
Trash
Lawn Care

(I'm sure I'm missing one or two?)

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 07:59 AM

Old 07-21-2011, 08:21 AM

1,571 posts, read 1,616,694 times
to vague and open ended. depends on house size. family size. lifestyle. pool or no pool.

based on a family of 5, 2000 sq ft, pool i can give you some base numbers.

cable, internet and phone-verizon 150.00 (bunch of tvs and xtra hi speed)
electric any where from 75 in the winter to 350 in the summer
water varies 70 to 150 depending on month
gas no gots
trash included in taxes. they pick up everything yard waste, oil, recylables, trash. metal objects are gone before the trash day due to scrappers.
lawn care. my 2 boys do it. but that savings is more than realized in food costs.

while you did not ask, our car insurance is less than half what we were paying. taxes are alot less. if we had the same up north taxes would easily be 10k, here 3k.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:01 AM

2,484 posts, read 2,467,250 times
I agree with gettinoutofjersey. Too many variables involved. You're going to see all of these numbers all over the place.

We're in a different county / city than 'jersey, so there are probably some differences in the water / trash situation;

4 of us, 2000 sq ft.

Verizon FiOS TV (most packages, two DVR's, all HD content) $150

FiOS internet (fast business class, bundle would save $$) $70

Electric (very old house, more computers and "always on" devices than the normal home, and I work from home so someone is almost always here) $250 low in the winter, $590 high in summer.

Water, trash, sewage, and reclaimed water are all bundled from the city here. $100 average

No gas: most homes here don't have natural gas available. Propane is used more, but not that common.

Kids do lawn here as well.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:25 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,812,256 times
3 people, 1970 house (1800 sq ft) with mostly old single pane windows, pool (energy efficient 2-speed pump), electric: low of $65 in winter, high of $225 in summer. I work from home, but keep the air at 83 during the day. When wife and baby get home, air goes to 80, then to 78 for sleeping. Helps keep the electric bill in check and is comfortable for us.
County water (on septic so no sewer charge): usually around $60/mo
Comcast basic cable with high speed internet: $96/mo
A standard size lawn can easily be done for $20-25 per cut, possibly less.
Car insurance for us didn't change much, but the home and boat insurance more than tripled from Michigan (due to hurricane threat of course).

Old 07-21-2011, 10:13 AM

219 posts, read 299,651 times
Default Bills

verizon fios phone upgraded internet,tv all channels and premium movies 203.00 no contract

electric we have peace o s***t electric coop 100.00 winter, the skys the limit summer 2007 built house well insulated but has 4000 sq. ft.

water,sewer, reclaimed water anytime , 2 garbage pickups 1 recycle 1 lawn garbage 70.00

lawn service half acre lot 80 per month

lawn care fertilizer,weed ,bug control 62.00

house exterminator 350 per year

propane for cooking and hot water and pool spa budget 60.00 per month it's a good price since my monster gas grill is hooked up also

Old 07-21-2011, 11:34 AM

3,281 posts, read 3,905,586 times
I live in Port Charlotte, FL

Electricity
FPL (Florida Power and Light) has the lowest electricty utility bills in the state of Florida. Average bill $95.49 per month - www.fpl.com

Cable, Internet, Phone - All companies offer a variety of packages to choose from with a variety of prices. You have to choose what is best for you and what is available in your area.

Comcast - www.comcast.com

Century Link - www.centurylink.com - We pay $195 per month (Internet, Phone and Dish Network bundle)

Verizon - www.verizon.com

Dish Network - www.dishnetwork.com

Direct TV - www.directtv.com

Water
All depends on if you have city water or well water. Prices vary by area. - We have Charlotte County Water - Average $50 to $65 per month, depending if we run the sprinkler and add water to the pool

Gas
We have a propane tank. We get it filled once a year. We use it for our tankless gas hot water, 6 burner gas stove, and gas fireplace. We use Ameri-Gas. We are always charged the going rate for gas. Last bill $297.25 www.amerigas.com

Pest Control
We use Truly Nolen - They have package deals as well and different services. It is cheaper if you pay the whole year up front or you can pay quarterly when they visit. We have termite and pest control with them. www.trulynolen.com

We mow our own lawn. There are a variety of lawn mowing services around. See who does the lawn in your neighborhood. Some will give discounts for several homes in the same area.

Trash - we pay that in our taxes.

Last edited by TamRE; 07-21-2011 at 11:45 AM..

Old 07-21-2011, 01:56 PM

Thanks everyone!

SkunkWorkz, why is your electric so much higher than the other posters?

In all actuality, I would be looking at electric, HSI, water, and other random fees, like extermination fees. I can do without television/landline phone as we have cell phones. Trying to get a guesstimate as to what our monthly living expenses might be.

Plan on paying cash for my home, trying to avoid HOA fees, but not entirely out of the question depending on what's included in them. We pay about $1400 a year for 4 vehicles full coverage in Indiana. Not sure if they would all come with or not, as two of them are a truck/travel trailer.

How about home insurance? Anything else I might be missing? Cost of living doesn't seem too different than here.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:01 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,812,256 times
Home insurance is a completely different beast. My suggestion is to go to "search" on this forum, and type in "insurance". You will get hundreds of threads all about insurance. There are just too many variables for anyone to give you an accurate (or approximate) cost. Could be anywhere from $800-$5,000/yr, depending on all of the variables.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:07 PM

Thanks H2. I am just looking for averages, as I always budget higher for emergencies. I'm not into scraping to get by. My wife thinks I'm nuts for having surplus, but she has figured out how nice it is to be comfortable, rather than skimping by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area