Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 03:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,503 times

Advertisements

You hear so much about northerners wintering in FL- I was wondering if the reverse happens very often. I can imagine those who grow up in FL are very used to the summer heat, but, well, just curious.
P.S. I posted in this area because I might be moving (though not retiring) to the Sarasota area in the near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 04:26 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,548,914 times
I haven't heard of many native Floridians that spend their entire summers up north, but I do know some that go up for vacation. Here are some blogs I wrote about the area.

Thinking of moving to Southwest Florida?
Southwest Florida is in the Gulf Coast Region. The following cities are considered part of Southwest Florida: BonitaSprings, Naples, Cape Coral, Captiva, DesotoCounty, Estero, Englewood, Fort Myers, Marco, NorthPort, Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda, Sanibel, Sarasota, and Venice.

Here you will find white sandy beaches, crystal blue warm waters, and light tropical breezes. This is such a beautiful area with many lifestyle choices. You will find it a wonderful place to live. The real estate market offers a variety of homes and condos which are unique to each city. There are properties from magnificent golf course communities...to luxurious estate homes along the beach...to high rises in the sky...to retirement communities.

Home prices are low, interest rates are low and there is no state income tax. Insurance rates are different depending on location. Florida also offers a homestead exemption. Details can be found at FL Dept Rev - Property Tax Exemptions and Discounts.

Some lifestyle activities are golfing, fishing, boating, biking, swimming, tennis, shelling, museums, art, shopping, music, sports, dining, parks, bird watching, and nightlife. There really is something for everyone. Because of our tropical Florida weather, there are events year round. If you would like more information about living in Southwest Florida contact a Realtor or Chamber of Commerce in your area of interest.

Buying a second home in Southwest Florida
If you are thinking of buying a second home in Southwest Florida, now is the time. You can purchase a home at a reasonable price with a low interest rate. You can purchase the home as a vacation home that later can be used as a retirement home or purchase it as a winter retreat. If you buy a second home, you also can definitely rent it out but you need to be aware of the tax consequences because it will be considered an investment home.

Some reasons to buy a second home in Southwest Florida:
1. The weather is always warm.
2. The golfing is world class.
3. The beaches are pristine.
4. There are plenty of places to eat.
5. The fishing is one of the best.
6. There is lots of shopping.
7. It is a wise investment.

Buying a second home is not something you should rush into. You need to make decisions about how to care for the home when you are not here. It requires additional expenses such as maintenance and utilities. Are the additional costs worth it and can you afford it?

There are several options for purchasing a second home that you may want to look into such as purchasing the home with family/friends, renting out the second home, using the equity from your first home, getting a mortgage, or paying cash. Depending on your financial situation, you choose the option that is best for you.

Snow birds are moving to Southwest Florida for the climate

Florida is called the sunshine state for a good reason. The average annual temperature in Southwest Florida is 74 degrees. Temperatures range from the mid 90's in the summer to upper 60's in the winter. In the winter you only need a light jacket in the morning or evening. In the summer the breeze off of the Gulf keeps you comfortable most of the time. It keeps the temperatures from exceeding 100 degrees even during the dog days of summer. Prevailing winds are an easterly average of 12-18mph.

The rainy season is in the summer and early fall. Typically there are rain showers in the late afternoon/evening just in time to cool things down. The average yearly rainfall is approximately 50 inches, with two-thirds occurring from June to September. Frequent lightening and heavy downpours are common during these rainmaking events, but they do not last long. This is also the season for tropical storms and hurricanes. Residents just need to keep a close eye on the weather and developing systems.

Southwest Florida is paradise. Floridians don't have to deal with the winter blues and that is why we get so many "snow birds" from the frozen North who return again and again. Come see what we are all about.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:29 PM

547 posts, read 926,739 times
We have thought about it.It would be nice to get away from the summer heat for a month or so once we retire. It would most likely be a one days driving distance. But we also like it out west, and have come to the conclusion we don't want to be tied down to one place.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:11 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,417 times
We are full timers in Port Charlotte. We have too many friends who are gone all summer to their northern homes; NY, PA, MA. So I would say, yes...there are a good number of people who retire here but spend summers out of state.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:46 PM

518 posts, read 1,231,330 times
I was born and raised in Florida. I spend most of the summer in the Colorado mountains at 10,000 feet where it is cool and pretty in the summer. I spend some of the winter months in Florida.The shoulder months when the weather is milder I go to lake of the Ozarks in Missouri. That way I always have nice weather and good water for boating year round.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:25 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,076,689 times
Many native Floridians have told me that the hot spot for them is western North Carolina.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:20 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
Well, yes, there are tons of people who do 6/6. My Mom lives in an over-55 in Bradenton. The conversation at the community pool in March consists almost entirely of "When are you going back?", "Are you driving?", etc. etc. The place is a ghost-town starting in about April. My Mom did it herself, until she couldn't really travel anymore. Her problem with staying in FL in the summer was not the heat/humidity, but the sudden and almost-daily thunderstorms. Wasn't like she could exactly "run" to get to her car if she got caught in one while out at the supermarket or doctor's.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:26 AM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,466,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiege1224 View Post
I was born and raised in Florida. I spend most of the summer in the Colorado mountains at 10,000 feet where it is cool and pretty in the summer. I spend some of the winter months in Florida.The shoulder months when the weather is milder I go to lake of the Ozarks in Missouri. That way I always have nice weather and good water for boating year round.
You have the right idea-this is why we are keeping our home in the Colorado mountains.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:56 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,682 times
Once we build on our lot on a canal in PC, we plan on keeping our house in Wisconsin as long as we can financially afford to. We would like to come back to Wisconsin in the summer time. We have friends who have a condo on Lake Wisconsin, and one in Indian Shores, FL. Although they don't do nowhere near 6/6, more like 9/3. It's too cold here to stay for 6 months if you don't have to.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:52 PM

66 posts, read 190,723 times
Many that I know just leave this place entirely and move to North Carolina or Tennessee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area