Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2011, 10:07 PM

14 posts, read 46,036 times

Advertisements

Been moving to my new home in Sarasota since end of May. After dealing witha few bugs, quickly decided on a Pest Control service in Mid June. The outside only was sprayed.

Alls been good until tonight I was going to sleep early and there was one just sitting on the wall near my pillow.

It really terrifies me to see one of these things and deal with them. It was prolly a palmetto.

My question is what would be the best service. I realise it just rained here and I have been using a weed trimmer to do my lawn which prolly isn't giving as clean as trim as a mower does.

My question is what is a very good spray service. Do you think that it would be ok to just spray again with the same team then do it again in 1month. and When to do my lawn. (theres a bit of overgrowth and it sounds like it would keep raining) There is a uncaged pool in my yard, trees hanging over the fence from another yard and a few palm trees. I have two small dogs.

I'd like to mention as well how dang hot it was when I arrived. I am from Minnesota where humid summers are common but really not this kind of humid. Feels like sauna type.

Ok I am worried anyone advise me. I did not want to indulge in spending on services but at least for now I see it is neccesary to keep my sanity.

Last edited by kipkip12; 07-31-2011 at 10:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 06:56 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,544,071 times
Did your pest control company spray for just bugs or do termite protection too? Usually the pest control companies on the first visit will also spray the interior of the home, not just the exterior. They take the wall sockets off in the kitchen and spray into the walls. They sprinkle dust or spray around the perimeter of the interior of the home. They put ant traps under all sinks. Our company comes inside once a year and does the outside 4 times a year. There are several different services that pest control companies offer. We use Truly Nolen. They are more expensive than some of the others, but it works for us. If we see any bugs whatsoever, we can call them and they come out right away to spray. We kept getting those large, fast, creepy spiders in our home. Truly Nolen said when the rain starts, they start coming in. Well, they came out the same day and sprinkled a powder around and within a day, we saw no more spiders.

We currently live in Port Charlotte but used to live in North Port. When we lived in North Port we had Truly Nolen too. We had those ghost ants in the bathroom and they came out right away to take care of it. We had carpenter ants in our 2nd bedroom window. They came out right away to take care of it. That is what I like, great service and when you need it.

Bugs are a part of Florida, but you don't have to live with them in your home. Good luck.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:16 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,081,815 times
kipkip12,
I don't think you have to worry about the palmetto bugs - they don't bite. Even if you spray, every now and again you may still see one. Don't freak out - stay calm, don't spend your way into oblivion paying for lawn and home spray that will do a great job, but even so you'll still see a bug now and then - its Florida. Some bugs will scurry across your yard, and come in - even if your yard is protected.

I spray my yard every couple months and I do it myself. You can go to home depot and buy the pre-mixed - hook the hose up to it sprayers, that will work as well as the professionals. It does a great job on ants and fire ants, cinche bugs, ticks, fleas, and a million other bugs too. All you do is hook your hose up to it and spray - no measuring, no muss, no fuss, and it won't bother your pets either.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:21 AM

85 posts, read 191,413 times
Kipkip12 where in MN are you from? Besides the bugs, how do you like it so far? Hope they don't have those Asian beetles like we get in the fall up here. Best of luck, I hope to sell my home soon and move down soon.
GO TWINS!

Old 08-01-2011, 09:02 AM

25 posts, read 59,203 times
Quote:
I spray my yard every couple months and I do it myself.
BH, do you have a service as well?

Old 08-01-2011, 10:27 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,081,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinergeek View Post
BH, do you have a service as well?
No, I just spray it myself, and once a year I buy the pellet dust and use my spreader with that. I live in PGI on a canal, and "knock on wood" haven't had a bug problem. When we moved in we had fire ants and cinche bugs, some fleas - now we don't. Occasionally we get a palmetto bug, but not many - they don't eat anything coming across the yard so they occasionally make it past the little lizards that do a miraculous job keeping them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area