Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 07:55 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,081,815 times

Advertisements

[quote=TamRE;20404928]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

Property Tax Disclosure: Buyer should not rely on the seller's current property taxes as the amount of property taxes that the buyer may be obligated to pay in the year subsequent to purchase. A change of ownership or property improvements triggers reassessment of the property that could result in higher property taxes. If you have any questions concerning valuation, contact the county property appraiser's office for information. The home you are interested in purchasing may be homestead. Homesteading caps the tax assessments on the home during ownership. MLS records do not necessarily reflect current tax assessments.
True, but in PGI, our taxes have gone down from what they were prior to when we bought. We did get the homestead exemption, which is definitely something to consider. You'll need to declare Florida as your primary residence. And something else to think about, the insurance companies want to see it as your primary residence as well to give you the lowest rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
I'm just fine with deed restricted - sounds like our AZ HOA communities. In fact, we prefer them. But "no pets at all" for owners? Nope, I'll pass on that one!

I read through your comments in the property tax disclosure. But, I still don't understand how RE taxes are calculated in FL? And, your comments make NO mention of property taxes being decreased - only increased!

My confusion lies in what I am used to. In Maricopa county AZ property taxes are based on market value as determined by the assessor. An owner can appeal AND actually win and get a decrease ( as I due last year(.
PGI allows pets. I have an English Springer Spaniel. Our neighbor has a couple dogs. Everyone walks them in the morning mostly when it is cool, and again in the evening. Everyone cleans up after them too - without asking - people are very considerate here.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:53 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,544,071 times
Quote:
I'm just fine with deed restricted - sounds like our AZ HOA communities. In fact, we prefer them. But "no pets at all" for owners? Nope, I'll pass on that one!

I read through your comments in the property tax disclosure. But, I still don't understand how RE taxes are calculated in FL? And, your comments make NO mention of property taxes being decreased - only increased!

My confusion lies in what I am used to. In Maricopa county AZ property taxes are based on market value as determined by the assessor. An owner can appeal AND actually win and get a decrease ( as I due last year(.
There are two types of ad valorem property taxes in Florida which are Real Estate Property and Tangible Personal Property. These tax statements are mailed out on or about November 1st of each year with the following discounts in effect for early payment:
· 4% if paid in November
· 3% if paid in December
· 2% if paid in January
· 1% if paid in February
Taxes become delinquent April 1st, at which time 3% interest plus advertising costs are added to the gross amount of the tax. For more information, visit our Delinquent Property Taxes Section.

The law allows taxpayers to pay their taxes on an installment plan if they so choose and if their estimated tax due is more than $100. For more information, visit our Installment Payment Plan Section.

The Real Estate tax bill is a combines notice of ad valorem taxes and non-ad valorem assessments.

Ad Valorem Taxes are based on the value of real property and are collected in arrears on an annual basis beginning on or about November 1st for the tax year January through December. The Office of the Property Appraiser establishes the value of the property and the Board of County Commissioners, School Board, City Commissioners and other taxing authorities set the millage rates. A millage rate is the rate per thousand dollars of taxable value. To determine the ad valorem tax, multiply the taxable value by the millage rate and divide by 1,000. For instance, $100,000 in taxable value with a millage rate of 5,000 would generate $500 in taxes.

Using these values and allowing for exemptions, the tax roll is completed by the Property Appraiser. It is then certified to the Tax Collector who mails the tax notice/receipt to the owner's last address of record as it appears on the tax roll. However, it is the responsibility of each taxpayer to see that the taxes are paid and that a tax bill is received. In cases where the property owners pays through an escrow account, the mortgage company should request and be sent the tax bill, and the owners will receive a copy of the bill for information.

Non-ad Valorem assessments are based on factors other than the property value such as square footage or number of units. Levying authorities, such as storm water utilities, fire and rescue, and solid waste are responsible for setting the non-ad valorem assessments. Some non-ad valorem assessments are paid in advance. Assessment periods vary. They may be calendar year or fiscal year.

For information on the Florida Homestead Exemption go to:
Homestead Exemption Information

Old 08-12-2011, 04:57 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Instead of pulling this terrific helpful thread off course, I'm going to start another thread on RE taxes.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Instead of pulling this terrific helpful thread off course, I'm going to start another thread on RE taxes.
I wrote a thread in 2006 or 2007. I posted it on the main Florida Board because I didn't know much at the time about where I should post for Punta Gorda information since it is in neither the Sarasota or Cape Coral area. It is called "Punta Gorda Anyone" and it is kinda a journal of my experiences, all the questions I had, some humor, and lots of help I recieved while I learned of the area. You can search for it. I will try to find one of my summary posts about all the help I got, and I'll DM it to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area