U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2011, 02:22 PM

386 posts, read 860,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamikel View Post
My question is: How do they ID you? I don't think you have to provide aN SSN when ordering on line. What are they going to do, come to your home and peer through the windows to see if the furniture you ordered is inside? Tell them to prove it or pound sand. If they push the issue, tell them the furniture is for your vacation home in NJ.
Here's what I found out after contacting the vendor and the delivery company. Mine is the 3rd call the vendor has received since the beginning of this month from Florida customers and the vendor states that this is a new issue. Every piece of merchandise shipped has a Bill of Lading showing the person and address to whom the delivery is being made, number and description of the item(s), weight of each item, and delivery charges. Price paid for the item is on computerized record with the vendor, NOT a part of the Bill of Lading. When the trucks stop at a weigh station the driver hands over Bills of Lading which comprise the contents of the truck. The people at the weigh station can inspect the truck's contents if they want to, and as it would be physically impossible to inspect each and every truck, this is usually done on a "spot check" basis or if contraband is suspected, etc. So the state does have copies of the Bill of Lading for items on the truck coming into the state for delivery and that includes the purchaser's name, etc.

Vendor stated computer records of purchase transactions with customers are company property and private. They do not share that information with any other individual (s) or government or state. Vendor stated they've never had anyone request such information from them.

So the Florida Dept. of Revenue is asking me to pay 6 percent tax on an amount which is unknown to them. Letter also states, "Send your check...within 10 days. Include a COPY OF YOUR INVOICE, and a phone number so I may contact you if furthur information is needed." So they want ME to provide an invoice showing what I paid.

Pounding sand is starting to sound pretty good to me at this point...
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 05:49 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,781,536 times
Don't know if this will be of any help to you but when we lived in PA my husband owned his own business. We periodically got a letter from the state asking us to list out of state purchases for the business and pay the 7% tax on them. We simply filled out the form with N/A written on it and never heard another word. Of course they had no bills of lading for us either so it was pretty easy for us to do.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:23 PM

386 posts, read 860,724 times
Thanks. My DH just wants us to ante up because we've saved a ton of money on the merchandise even with the tax. On the other hand, I am more of a (how should I say this???) rebel? I resent the invasion of privacy. Oh well. Life is compromise...

Old 08-16-2011, 06:17 AM

53 posts, read 123,197 times
I had heard in a news story that they were going to furniture suppliers in NC and asking for bill of sales and tracking down individuals. I personally do not have an issue with having to pay sales tax, but it is unreasonable to expect people to keep track of what they purchase and pay. The sales tax system works well when buying from a store in FL because the buyer does not have to keep track and pay separately. It is a hassle for a seller without a computer system, but that is a part of doing business I suppose.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:26 AM

16,438 posts, read 19,084,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamrita View Post
right now I feel like the only person at Woodstock nailed for smoking a blunt!
I think it would have been called a joint way back there in the last century, but I appreciate your sense of irony.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:40 AM

3,576 posts, read 6,050,217 times
I've gotten the same type of letter last year from Florida Dept of Revenue.

I brought furniture from North Carolina.

You pay 6% Florida sales taxes on purchased price (crap thing is that they tax you 6% on the shipping charges also).

It sucks but pay up. You don't want to mess with state government on tax issues. You know you have to pay it.

You don't have to pay your local county sales taxes. So I saved an extra 1% in the county I lived in.

My brother who lived in Virginia and purchased 20K of furniture a few years ago also got busted by that state (for furniture purchased in North Carolina also). But my sister who lived in Maryland didn't get busted.

It's luck of the draw. If you can get away with it, good. But if you are busted, you gotta pay up.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:11 PM

83 posts, read 148,927 times
I wonder if the purchase price sets of a red flag for the taxman. Say $10k or more. Better off to place smaller orders and stay under the radar.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:49 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,688,412 times
nj had a line on the income tax return to list out of state purchases. if the state learned of an out of state purchase and it was not claimed they pursued it the same as if you neglected to include a 1099 or w2. they would charge interest and penalties back to the time that it should have been paid. florida does not have income tax so they are not able to pursue the same way.

you can be sure the value of the transaction is what triggered the letter. if you want to beat the tax then maybe limit the amount of each shipment. many people shop the internet to beat sales tax. typically if the seller does not have a store in the state then they do not charge sales tax.

the federal govt is looking at taxing internet sales.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:19 AM

70 posts, read 186,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinoutofjersey View Post
the federal govt is looking at taxing internet sales.
There are forces at work attempting to get the federal govt to tax internet sales, however, the federal govt is not looking at it currently.

Quote:
[...] "Internet Tax Freedom Act Amendment Act of 2007" [...] extends the prohibitions against multiple and discriminatory taxes on electronic commerce until November 1, 2014.
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...rimination_Act

See also snopes.com: Internet Taxation Moratorium

Old 08-17-2011, 01:50 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,688,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovePalms View Post
There are forces at work attempting to get the federal govt to tax internet sales, however, the federal govt is not looking at it currently.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...rimination_Act

See also snopes.com: Internet Taxation Moratorium

at one point that was true, however the super committe of 12 has that along with elimination of the mortgage interest deduction as 2 of many options to consider for the debt cieling decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area