Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 11:18 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times

Advertisements

I'm a big supporter of the Bradenton/Sarasota area (my mother lives there) but I definitely feel more on-guard there than I do in the Phila. area, where I'm from. I've had way too many friends or acquaintances become victims of crime there -- burglaries, hold-ups, scams, thefts, etc. -- and not in what you would expect to be "bad areas". In the big cities, crime is pretty much concentrated in certain areas, but in FL it seems to be more spread-out. Don't get me wrong, this would not prevent me from moving there....it just means I am always vigilant....there could be someone waiting to snatch my purse while I am pumping gas or walking into Home Depot, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 05:56 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,343,318 times
I'm sorry...someone is seriously saying they feel more "on guard" in Sarasota than in Philadelphia? Seriously?

You gotta get out of Newtown next time you come here.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:32 AM

142 posts, read 354,137 times
I've been here since the 60's no problems. Someone did take 2 PBJ's from my truck once (my lunch). Don't look like a easy mark and you will be fine just about anywhere in the world.

And what is wrong with newtown anyway?

Old 08-28-2011, 12:01 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
I don't even know where Newtown is. As for Sarasota/Bradenton -- I didn't really want to go into details, but since you questioned my credibility -- my friend's parents' new house in Sar was burglarized, my Mom's financial advisor's house on the river in Bradenton was burglarized twice, my Mom's elderly neighbor was scammed out of her purse, another neighbor was scammed out of her car, oh and my Mom's advisor was accosted by a guy while her car was in line at a fast-food drive-in, and I was approached by a probable scammer outside Home Depot....nope, I don't have a list of these types of stories in Philly. If you're in a Philly suburb, you normally don't have to have your guard up or keep looking over your shoulder. FL has a lot of homeless, gang members and drug addicts and you can encounter them anywhere. If you don't understand the difference in what I'm talking about, so be it -- I am just stating my experience for the OP, based on anecdotal evidence, not crime stats, so OP can take it for what it's worth.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:39 PM

46 posts, read 125,936 times
Avalon- Thanks for the specifics in your comparison. These are good examples that I can use to compare for MY comfort level.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:48 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,343,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I don't even know where Newtown is. As for Sarasota/Bradenton -- I didn't really want to go into details, but since you questioned my credibility -- my friend's parents' new house in Sar was burglarized, my Mom's financial advisor's house on the river in Bradenton was burglarized twice, my Mom's elderly neighbor was scammed out of her purse, another neighbor was scammed out of her car, oh and my Mom's advisor was accosted by a guy while her car was in line at a fast-food drive-in, and I was approached by a probable scammer outside Home Depot....nope, I don't have a list of these types of stories in Philly. If you're in a Philly suburb, you normally don't have to have your guard up or keep looking over your shoulder. FL has a lot of homeless, gang members and drug addicts and you can encounter them anywhere. If you don't understand the difference in what I'm talking about, so be it -- I am just stating my experience for the OP, based on anecdotal evidence, not crime stats, so OP can take it for what it's worth.
There's a difference between "questioning your credibility" and being amazed by (and making good-natured light of) your perspective.

First of all, I would tell anyone who asked me that Sarasota and Bradenton are very different cities.

Of course there are crimes in Sarasota, but it's easy living compared to each of the other dozen or so cities in which I have lived.

And for what it's worth, my wife is a psych nurse and works closely with law enforcement (of course), and will tell you that Baltimore makes Sarasota look like Mayberry.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:03 AM

Bradenton is a whole different place.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:35 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,141,072 times
it is a proven fact that crime is lower where the "good guys" are allowed to legally carry guns. all the major cities that have high crime have laws that prohibit ccw. with the economic conditions that have gotten worse over the past couple years crime stats would be real high around here. addicts and people down on their luck have always been drawn to warmer climates, that coupled with the pill problem would not be good. the law enforcement can only do so much. true keeping your senses about you will make you less of a target but if someone wants to hurt you or you have what they want you will be a victim.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinoutofjersey View Post
it is a proven fact that crime is lower where the "good guys" are allowed to legally carry guns. all the major cities that have high crime have laws that prohibit ccw. with the economic conditions that have gotten worse over the past couple years crime stats would be real high around here. addicts and people down on their luck have always been drawn to warmer climates, that coupled with the pill problem would not be good. the law enforcement can only do so much. true keeping your senses about you will make you less of a target but if someone wants to hurt you or you have what they want you will be a victim.
You can carry a concealed weapon here in Fl, with the proper permit of course. So can the bad guys, however.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:47 PM

1,580 posts, read 3,141,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gitnerdun View Post
You can carry a concealed weapon here in Fl, with the proper permit of course. So can the bad guys, however.
That is true, however a background check is done. How many would pass the check? If one is caught without a ccw and in possession of a handgun that's a felony. One more charge to put them away. My point is when a bad guy is not sure if someone is armed he will most likely think twice. In cities and states where the government has made it illegal for law abiding citizens to own and/or carry the bad guys can be certain you are unarmed on the street and vehicle and 90 percent sure you are in your house also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area