Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 07:56 AM

85 posts, read 191,509 times

Advertisements

Dont they do background checks on coaches? I coach my son's baseball team and I have to do a background check every season. I cant believe someone thinks they should be let go. When you choose to coach, you are saying that you want to be a good role model on and off the field. I plan to move down next summer(or when I sale my house) but this scares me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 10:32 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,142,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuck-in-mn View Post
Dont they do background checks on coaches? I coach my son's baseball team and I have to do a background check every season. I cant believe someone thinks they should be let go. When you choose to coach, you are saying that you want to be a good role model on and off the field. I plan to move down next summer(or when I sale my house) but this scares me.
the article says they did a background check but it didnt show any sex crimes or violations against children. i guess in the criteria a felony charge, conviction and sentencing for crack doesnt matter.

there are still some good role models in sports, they just dont get any recognition of press. its the scum that sells newspapers and air time.

my boys play high school football and have some spectacular coaches. one really stands out. does not tolerate disrespect, profanity or fighting. there are grade requirements in order to play hs football. he made them even more restrictive. they have tutoring for kids that want to play ball but are struggling in school. my son had a concussion from practice and he made sure he called that night to see how he was.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:50 AM

477 posts, read 987,331 times
Even though our experiences fail in comparison to this, after 4 kids in differents sports throughout the years, I'm constantly amazed at the behavior of some parents....at a flag football game!?! Screaming profanity at the ref/coach in front of 6 year olds who just want to do a good job and have fun.....unbelievable!

Old 09-03-2011, 12:59 PM

1,580 posts, read 3,142,162 times
i think some coaches and parents actually think the kids will look up to them if they act like that. it like the kids will be, oohing and ahhing at how tough daddy is. what is really upsetting is when mom does it and barks off a string of profanity, now thats classy. i just kind of think that there is some lucky guy that gets to take her home tonight and how many times a month the sheriff is there for a domestic call.

not sure what the laws are pertaining to this here but up in nj they had to legislate proper behavior and the penalties were pretty severe.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:00 PM

85 posts, read 191,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinoutofjersey View Post
the article says they did a background check but it didnt show any sex crimes or violations against children. i guess in the criteria a felony charge, conviction and sentencing for crack doesnt matter.

there are still some good role models in sports, they just dont get any recognition of press. its the scum that sells newspapers and air time.

my boys play high school football and have some spectacular coaches. one really stands out. does not tolerate disrespect, profanity or fighting. there are grade requirements in order to play hs football. he made them even more restrictive. they have tutoring for kids that want to play ball but are struggling in school. my son had a concussion from practice and he made sure he called that night to see how he was.
That is how I coach and most of the time it is the parents that give me trouble. I tell them I want them to be winners on and off the field. I have four boys and I love to coach them. Sometimes I wonder if parents realize that I'm a volunteer and only do it because I love the sport. I still cant believe that drug charges dont count!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area