U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 11:56 AM

15,126 posts, read 31,032,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanner View Post
she's got PIT BULLS though so not just looking for dog friendly but an area that specifically allows bully breeds.
Well, if she's looking to buy, there are all breeds in this neighborhood, I know for sure one or two people that have pits here. And also want to add that this is a very responsible neighborhood when it comes to people's dogs, they are kept on leashes when walking, and they pick up after the pooping. Despite having all breeds in this neighborhood, there is almost never an issue with dogs. The guy that has pits, you never even see them, they stay in the fenced back yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 12:49 PM

879 posts, read 1,685,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Well, if she's looking to buy, there are all breeds in this neighborhood, I know for sure one or two people that have pits here. And also want to add that this is a very responsible neighborhood when it comes to people's dogs, they are kept on leashes when walking, and they pick up after the pooping. Despite having all breeds in this neighborhood, there is almost never an issue with dogs. The guy that has pits, you never even see them, they stay in the fenced back yard.
that sounds great. i am in a nice community but some people don't pick up after their dogs, let them go off leash and I have a neighbor that lets her dogs wander off leash. Big, small - I don't care, it's dangerous! And my poor dog is anxious, if he sees a dog come up to our door or pool screen he flips out I bet they ban pit bulls, rotties, etc but I would rather live around responsible dog owners then inconsiderate people with poodles LOL

Old 09-18-2011, 01:07 PM

11 posts, read 21,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanner View Post
i grew up in Nassau on the Queens border then moved out to Nassau/Suffolk border. Will you be here looking at houses for a while or are you looking to buy something from a distance? You really need to see the houses. There is a big difference between a 3 br here and a 3 br in NY. Up north a 3 br will most likely have 3 br, kitchen, living room, den, dining room, basement and some amount of attic space. So, there's room for an office or playroom, toys, junk, storage, etc. Depending where in NY those rooms are jut bigger or smaller. Here it's less useable space more formal living rooms and nowhere for a playroom/office/storage! No basements either! So, definitely look at the layouts carefully. It's easy to be dazzled by newer houses (to NY'ers even homes built in the 70s and 80s are "newer") and master bathrooms & walk in closets LOL but really look at the layout.
The whole moving complication is slightly complicated by the dogs and by the fact that since I teach I likely won't be able to find another job until the next school year.

Thankfully we have a fairly good relocation package. They're setting up with a relocation assistance company and a real estate group.

DH will move at the beginning of October. My best friend lives near Kissimmee, so she and my husband will pre-screen the houses. Then I'll fly in, potentially with my mom, to see places myself.

At the moment we're moving forward with applying for a mortgage and then we'll go from there. I'm slightly nervous since we may need to get my parents to co-sign with us.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:17 PM

1,611 posts, read 2,474,471 times
Although I do not know your financial situation, if you teach & your husband has a job that is good enough for them to have hired him from MY & pay relo, I think you may be underestimating what price house you can afford.

I've been told that teaching jobs in Sarasota are not so easy to come by, but the NY "pedigree" may be a big help. Don't expect the pay you receive in NY though.

You'll LOVE Sarasota - I am considerably older than you & I love it. You're my kids' age, and when they visit, they want to come back, and IF an opportunity presented itself to work in Sarasota instead of LI, they'd seriously consider it. They love SRQ.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
We're definitely looking to buy. Whitfield sounds great. We'd like to keep our dogs as social as possible so we'd have them out to walk whenever possible.

The realty group asked me to send a list of areas in which we might be interested. I'm planning to add Whitfield and Sapphire Shores/Indian Beach to the list.

Can anyone suggest any other areas? Does anyone know anything about Ellenton?

Old 09-18-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninecrayons View Post
We're definitely looking to buy. Whitfield sounds great. We'd like to keep our dogs as social as possible so we'd have them out to walk whenever possible.

The realty group asked me to send a list of areas in which we might be interested. I'm planning to add Whitfield and Sapphire Shores/Indian Beach to the list.

Can anyone suggest any other areas? Does anyone know anything about Ellenton?
You don't want Ellenton. Rural, rough, nothing there.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
Although I do not know your financial situation, if you teach & your husband has a job that is good enough for them to have hired him from MY & pay relo, I think you may be underestimating what price house you can afford.

I've been told that teaching jobs in Sarasota are not so easy to come by, but the NY "pedigree" may be a big help. Don't expect the pay you receive in NY though.

You'll LOVE Sarasota - I am considerably older than you & I love it. You're my kids' age, and when they visit, they want to come back, and IF an opportunity presented itself to work in Sarasota instead of LI, they'd seriously consider it. They love SRQ.
We've got some debt, so that's definitely a hamper. One of the many reasons we're thrilled to move to SRQ is the lower cost of living which should enable us to pay off our debt quicker.

There are two real questions governing our ability to get a mortgage and afford a decent place. The first is our debt to income ratio, the second is my ability to get a new teaching job. We've run the numbers as though I'm going to be unemployed.

It would be nice to get a teaching job in SRQ, but I'm willing to commute a bit if I need to make it happen.

DH is at a trade show in Orlando at the moment and when he gets back we'll apply for a mortgage. From there, we'll see what happens.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:29 PM

You might check Manatee County for a teaching job - there were more students than ever before this year and they have had to hire more teachers.

More students in Manatee County than ever before - WWSB ABC 7 MySuncoast Florida (http://www.mysuncoast.com/content/topstories/story/More-students-in-Manatee-County-than-ever-before/9KwENlEyd0CgBBlpyfJ6rA.cspx - broken link)

Maybe this bodes well for teachers here in the future.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:20 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,689,764 times
Even if you find a hoa that allows pit bulls you still need to be concerned with your homeowners insurance. Most cos require you to answer yes or no on dogs and then what breed. Mos ins cos will also send someone to inspect and photograph your house.

Pits are a misunderstood breed. Got a bad rap and rep.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:57 AM

16,992 posts, read 20,612,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninecrayons View Post
We've got some debt, so that's definitely a hamper. One of the many reasons we're thrilled to move to SRQ is the lower cost of living which should enable us to pay off our debt quicker.

There are two real questions governing our ability to get a mortgage and afford a decent place. The first is our debt to income ratio, the second is my ability to get a new teaching job. We've run the numbers as though I'm going to be unemployed.

It would be nice to get a teaching job in SRQ, but I'm willing to commute a bit if I need to make it happen.

DH is at a trade show in Orlando at the moment and when he gets back we'll apply for a mortgage. From there, we'll see what happens.
You need to do some research in regards to teacher salaries in FL. FL comes in at 46 out of the 50 states in regards to teacher's pay.

Several counties have laid off teachers and hired them back for around $12 an hour and no benefits.

FL teachers are in the process of suing the state(Rick Scott) as he wants to base teacher's pay on student performance.

Why don't you rent first and see if you like the area?

You need to keep in mind that while the COL is somewhat lower so are the salaries. Many people don't sit down and crunch the numbers, and find out the hard way that they're not financially better off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area