Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 09:49 AM

879 posts, read 1,953,577 times

Advertisements

Hey GypsyChic, my family is coming from NY. I want to take them out to eat downtown. Got any recommendations? I haven't really found anyplace so i must be doing it wrong! Help? (no Italian please, if it's not amazing I will be insulting them)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 10:45 AM

615 posts, read 1,676,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
Not True at all! I have found several restaurants in Sarasota that rival anything I've had in NY - except they do not rival them for the money - there Sarasota wins out!

You're entitled to your opinion, Coach as is everyone else. It is duly noted, but do not say "it isn't true" because what is "true" to you is not for everyone.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:54 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,344,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanner View Post
Hey GypsyChic, my family is coming from NY. I want to take them out to eat downtown. Got any recommendations? I haven't really found anyplace so i must be doing it wrong! Help? (no Italian please, if it's not amazing I will be insulting them)
I know I am not Gypsychic, but I would recommend either Selva Grill (tapas, etc., always very good) or Brasserie Belge (Belgian, some excellent entrees and great beer on tap). If you feel like spending some money, the Bijou Cafe (steaks, seafood, fine dining-ish) can be very good, also.

Last edited by Rushmore; 10-10-2011 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: duh

Old 10-10-2011, 01:57 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
I know I am not Gypsychic, but I would recommend either Selva Grill (tapas, etc., always very good) or Brasserie Belge (Belgian, some excellent entrees and great beer on tap). If you feel like spending some money, the Bijou Cafe (steaks, seafood, fine dining-ish) can be very good, also.
Yes, I was also going to recommend Selva, and Bijou is a classic here. There are a lot of places downtown I haven't even eaten yet. A lot to choose from depending on your family's tastes. Happy dining!

Old 10-10-2011, 02:00 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Rushmore/Gypsy-Have either of you been to Mozaic on Main St? I've heard mixed review on the restaurant. Most people say the food is excellent but the service is lacking. Any thoughts?

Old 10-10-2011, 02:04 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,344,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Rushmore/Gypsy-Have either of you been to Mozaic on Main St? I've heard mixed review on the restaurant. Most people say the food is excellent but the service is lacking. Any thoughts?
After hearing twice that there were snotty all-black clad wait staff, I decided I could get my food elsewhere. I hate that vibe.

Maybe we'll give it a shot anyway, now that Morocco Restaurant has gone under.

: smack::s mack:

Old 10-10-2011, 03:34 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanner View Post
I know you said no Italian, but here is an Italian place I saw while researching for you: Anyway, I haven't been to this place, but it's on Main Street, and looks interesting, and saw a good review on the web from a guy from Long Island: (from Google reviews)

Divino Restaurant is Downtown Sarasota's Best Italian Restaurant (http://www.divinosarasota.com/restaurant-menu.html - broken link)

Maybe someone here has eaten there.

SoFLGal - I have not been to Mozaic - like Rushmore I have heard about the "snotty vibe" - in fact my husband and I looked at the snotty sounding menu and laughed. Doesn't seem like a place for us.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:03 PM

440 posts, read 1,052,920 times
Would Libby's qualify? We've enjoyed their food and had very good service there.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:11 PM

quick peak at the lunch menu and I see Divino calls the spinach salad "Popeye", sorry but that's really lame and...the 4 Formaggi Rigatoni includes Swiss & bleu cheese? wtf? they ran out of Italian cheeses after mozzarella and parmesan? LOL

Old 10-10-2011, 04:14 PM

Selva looks interesting, maybe we will try that. THere is a mexican place that looked good too. I've been to the Greek place, some food was good some was awful. I don't know Bijou, I will look into it. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area