U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 06:22 PM

1,611 posts, read 2,473,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkcnative View Post
Thanks for the tip on an Italian Restaurant. Just went last night - (they were closed until Oct. 3rd) My husband and I loved it. We will not look anywhere else for great Italian food. This is the place!!! Thanks again.
You're welcome!
See - Philly Italian food is easily as good as NY Italian - and even more so when it is served in Paradise!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 11:40 AM

614 posts, read 1,449,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkcnative View Post
Hi, I just moved down here from NYC, and can't find a good Italian Restaurant or pizza. I really need to get reviews from other New Yorkers. I think we just have the same taste buds!! Any restaurant that you feel is worth trying, besides Italian would be great too. Thanks.
^^My brother moved to Florida several years ago, and that is one of his biggest complaints. Not having good restaurants, etc (lots of chains)....as we have here.

Safe to say, you don't move to Florida expecting the best cuisine and such. We're spoiled here, but Florida spoils you with beautiful weather/beaches!

Old 10-05-2011, 05:15 PM

43 posts, read 69,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPhinfan13 View Post
I've been down here a month and tried pizza for the first time. It was a place called Michelangelo's of Long Island. They have 3 places down here. One in lakewood ranch, sarasota and I think bradenton. It was good and satisfied my pizza cravings. They're from Long Island, NY (east end-north fork).
Another great reason for me to move to Lakewood Ranch! This restaurant has great Yelp reviews. Will check it out in March when we come down to the area for a week...thanks for the tip! Oh and of course we'll be chowing down on some delicious grouper too! mmm food.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:38 PM

386 posts, read 860,973 times
Speaking of Italian food, we ate at Solorzano's last night. What a small gem! Food was fantastic and service was great. Owners are from Northern NJ, Hoboken I think. We're definitely going back.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:20 PM

1,611 posts, read 2,473,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerBabe View Post
^^My brother moved to Florida several years ago, and that is one of his biggest complaints. Not having good restaurants, etc (lots of chains)....as we have here.

Safe to say, you don't move to Florida expecting the best cuisine and such. We're spoiled here, but Florida spoils you with beautiful weather/beaches!

Not True at all! I have found several restaurants in Sarasota that rival anything I've had in NY - except they do not rival them for the money - there Sarasota wins out!

Old 10-10-2011, 06:29 AM

442 posts, read 449,873 times
Key word there being "several". I don't think anyone really means there aren't any at all. It's just there are hundreds of good places to eat in NY. Even when I lived in Asheville NC, a relatively small town there were more good places than bad. The preponderance of chain restaurants down here also makes it seem worse than it is. You just have to go to more trouble to seek out good places and when you do find one it's a "gem" amidst a bunch of cubic zirconia. Ethnic food is also much less prevalent. If you want chicken wings or a burger your choices are plentiful and I've had good Italian food in just about every city I've lived in, but if your looking for some good Indian food you're pretty much out of luck.

BTW just ate at Zydeco Grill in Englewood. It's our new fav. Great food and great service.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:02 AM

15,121 posts, read 31,016,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Burnett View Post
Key word there being "several". I don't think anyone really means there aren't any at all. It's just there are hundreds of good places to eat in NY. Even when I lived in Asheville NC, a relatively small town there were more good places than bad. The preponderance of chain restaurants down here also makes it seem worse than it is. You just have to go to more trouble to seek out good places and when you do find one it's a "gem" amidst a bunch of cubic zirconia. Ethnic food is also much less prevalent. If you want chicken wings or a burger your choices are plentiful and I've had good Italian food in just about every city I've lived in, but if your looking for some good Indian food you're pretty much out of luck.

BTW just ate at Zydeco Grill in Englewood. It's our new fav. Great food and great service.
Yes, but apples to apples - of course NYC has more look at the size of the place compared to Sarasota! Sarasota area has LOADS of really great places to eat. There are actually quite a few ethnic places, but they tend to be smaller and fly under the radar, so you have to seek them out.

And I disagree about Asheville, we used to spend a lot of time there, and the restaurants there are really not as good as here. There are also the same, and just as many chaines in Asheville. We have found places here that wipe the floor with any in Asheville. Just our opinion, of course!

Old 10-10-2011, 07:25 AM

You're wrong, I'm right!!

Old 10-10-2011, 08:28 AM

15,121 posts, read 31,016,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Burnett View Post
You're wrong, I'm right!!
Hehe - how about we're both right?

Old 10-10-2011, 08:56 AM

Can I be more right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area