U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-05-2011, 10:48 AM

21 posts, read 27,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nphomeowner View Post
Yep, EXACTLY why we bought in North Port. We do not LIKE hustle and bustle and we did not WANT another OLD fixer upper, we left that up North. We have a nice new home that we are proud to call our own. We are close enough to everything, beaches, shopping and even Sarasota if we choose to go there which we RARELY do. We really do like it here.

I find myself getting upset at the negative North Port posts then ask myself why? What do I CARE if someone doesn't like it? We do and bottom line is, that is what matters!
I don't get it either! We moved here (NP) 4 years ago and while I wasn't thrilled intitially with the area because I didn't know anyone, now I completely disagree. There is a real sense of community here and I pretty much always see someone I know everywhere I go. We have lots of great friends and neighbors here now and know the area very well. We originally planned to eventually move back to Sarasota (where I grew up) when the time came to buy but slowly realized that it made more sense to settle here. We love our school and the peace and quiet...driving in Sarasota drives me nuts now, too much traffic. Venice is overrun with old, very slow and awful drivers and I agree about getting the looks from older patrons when you are the only young family in a place, not welcoming at all. The downtown is nice once in awhile but I would never live there. We go to the beaches up there and it only takes about 20 minutes to get there. Punta Gorda is also only about 20 minutes south and also has a nice little downtown on the water. I can get to Sarasota in 30 minutes and Fort Myers in 45 minutes. You can't beat the home values here right now (less than $100k for a 5 year old home in a neighborhood full of young families). Yes the city has been drastically affected by the economy and foreclosures and doesn't have a lot of employment options yet, but I think we are on the upswing again now and once it gets going again businesses will be flocking here because of the inexpensive available land and young demographic. Most people here are in their 30's with young kids. Yes there are parts of town I would avoid buying in, but every city has that. You just have to do your research and visit the area to get a feel for it. Everyone here is very friendly and I have had great experiences dealing with everyone that works for the city. My husband deals with city/county employees frequently due to his work, everwhere from Tampa down to Naples, and agrees that North Port does a good job in an efficient manner when dealing with customers. Sorry to the original poster to get off topic a bit but just wanted to share my opinion.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 11:06 AM

1,564 posts, read 1,536,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbroker View Post
Almost any place between Venice and Sarasota would be fine. Rather than bad neighborhoods which you will find a few small areas in Sarasota, the other areas may have a troublesome block or house. .
take a look at this map. while it may not be brooklyn or camden, there are a fair amount of flags in sarasota.

Sarasota County Arrests with Maps, Mug Shots, Criminal Registration, Sex Offender Registration | Sarasota Mugshots | Arrest Maps

this is also a good resource for sarasota

CrimeMapping.com - National Map

those 2 maps should give you an idea of the crime and types of.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,002 times
For all those people who "assume" Venice is nothing but old people, you should be happy "old" people are still around. Didn't anyone ever tell you "old" people don't appreciate screaming kids sitting behind you at a table in a restaurant, or parents that let the little heathens run wild with little supervision? Maybe that's why we all have moved and congregated in a beautiful area like Venice. We want a quiet, relaxed, peaceful town to live in away from all the major city hustle and bustle. There are many things to do and see in this little town. I recommend Sarasota, Tampa-St. Pete, Ft. Myers if you're looking for the big city hustle and bustle with a "younger" demographic. Housing prices vary in every town. Condo prices are low right now, maybe try an area by just renting for a year. You'll truly get a feel for an area in a year. We vacationed in Sarasota for many years before we decided to move to Venice for exactly the reasons I stated earlier...quiet, peaceful, relaxing. Oh and by the way..i'm only 50! Our neighborhood has a very mixed age group. Happy hunting!

Old 12-16-2012, 06:40 AM

129 posts, read 97,888 times
Old people aren't all about not liking kids. I think some really miss seeing kids. We went to a Ukrainian festival in North Port with all older people there and took the grandkids. One woman had to give our granddaughter an ornament for the tree and we had numerous well meant inquiries if our grandson was for sale and how much? The answer was "priceless", lots of smiles and fun with that.

We take the kids to a lot of activities and many older folks love to interact with them. Of course it is not always fun with all people and not on the days when the kids are less than stellar. The activities are museums, festivals, and kid appropriate venues, so there's always a mix of people.

The grocery stores are full of appreciative older people who love children, they go out of their way to say something to the kids and us. For those who don't appreciate kids, they probably go the other way with their shopping carts when they spot us. It's not good or bad, but just the way it is.

Venice has an elderly population, but we find it a friendly place for us and the kids.

Last edited by jean-ji; 12-16-2012 at 06:53 AM..

Old 12-16-2012, 06:45 AM

1,645 posts, read 1,704,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele Reeves View Post
For all those people who "assume" Venice is nothing but old people, you should be happy "old" people are still around. Didn't anyone ever tell you "old" people don't appreciate screaming kids sitting behind you at a table in a restaurant, or parents that let the little heathens run wild with little supervision? Maybe that's why we all have moved and congregated in a beautiful area like Venice. We want a quiet, relaxed, peaceful town to live in away from all the major city hustle and bustle. There are many things to do and see in this little town. I recommend Sarasota, Tampa-St. Pete, Ft. Myers if you're looking for the big city hustle and bustle with a "younger" demographic. Housing prices vary in every town. Condo prices are low right now, maybe try an area by just renting for a year. You'll truly get a feel for an area in a year. We vacationed in Sarasota for many years before we decided to move to Venice for exactly the reasons I stated earlier...quiet, peaceful, relaxing. Oh and by the way..i'm only 50! Our neighborhood has a very mixed age group. Happy hunting!
It's funny. You could have worded that so much differently and everyone would have understood exactly what you meant and I wouldn't be here telling you that what you just said and the way you just said it did nothing but make their point for them.

But when you just "assume" (just trying to keep up with the quotation marks) that everyone's "heathens" are "running wild" and have "little supervision," then you are no better than those who assume that anyone over 40 is driving 20 MPH in the fast lane and scowling at everyone under 40.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:35 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,536,153 times
its funny how some old people are so intolerant of the little heathens running wild. like as if they were never young or had kids that were young. little heathens are easier to tolerate and understand than the person in walmart with the cart in the middle of the aisle trying to figure out where they are and they are there. they are easier to deal with than the one in the fast lane that is contemplating a left turn 10 miles down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area