U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 11:40 AM

46 posts, read 69,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I have never spent an entire summer there, but I do know whenever I'm there (visiting Mom), my hair is about twice as big. Even in the winter months, there's no use flat-ironing it. Maybe because it's close to the coast, or maybe because it's just FL. I may end up moving there because the cold actually causes me physical pain....but I'll have to adjust my hairstyle.

I had to comment on this. Our daughter had problems with frizzy hair all the time when we lived there. Moved to SC and no issues. Threw away frizzezz etc.
I never got used to the humidity or heat. It was ok as long as you were inside or at the pool/beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 12:07 PM

1,643 posts, read 2,880,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escsoccermom View Post
I had to comment on this. Our daughter had problems with frizzy hair all the time when we lived there. Moved to SC and no issues. Threw away frizzezz etc.
I never got used to the humidity or heat. It was ok as long as you were inside or at the pool/beach.
Or on the golf course. Don't forget the golf course. Everything's OK there.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:13 PM

663 posts, read 768,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
It took a while but I ultimately emigrated to Canada .Now i enjoy Florida for what it excels in = winter Vacations.Live there? you couldnt pay me enough.
Winters hardships are also highly over rated as i can always dress for any temp so i'm never freezing, shoveling snow occurs a couple of times per winter no big deal,good exercise,rest of the winter is a non issue,winter activities abound and i wake every morning happy in the fact that i'm not going to spend the day sweating if i go outside.
However i do agree that Floridas heat and humidity isnt for every one and for those that move there with no prior excursions to their intended Florida locale in mid summer,well if you now find its too hot then you should have done a bit more hands on research to discover if Floridas 8-9 month heat and humidity really outweighs whatever the length of winter you are subjected to...
I'm so glad you said this cause I've been saying it all along. Somehow folks equate to living up north is like living in Siberia, well it's not, even those who formally lived here share that opinion & they know they're exaggerating. Blizzards are infrequent, some years we don't have not even one. Yet heat & humidity IMO is overbearing, maybe since we only experience those temps approx 6-8 weeks out of the yr we just don't get use to it, if there's such a thing as getting use to it, & we're always so happy when it goes away (thank God!). This past July the heat was outrageous up here & I did all that I could to duck & dodge it by staying indoors as much as possible. So how could I ever get use to those oppressive temps? I admit I've got the wrong attitude towards acclimating & ain't a thing I'm willing to do about it.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I have never spent an entire summer there, but I do know whenever I'm there (visiting Mom), my hair is about twice as big. Even in the winter months, there's no use flat-ironing it. Maybe because it's close to the coast, or maybe because it's just FL. I may end up moving there because the cold actually causes me physical pain....but I'll have to adjust my hairstyle.

Loved this post, I can relate when it's July in the north. I can't wear makeup cause it would just slide down my face. Hair? Forget it, it's a waste of time & effort, just ponytail it for the summer. I know you're suppose to wear sunscreen regularly but most of those products are awlful greasy & I'm trying to do all that I can to degrease myself when it's hot & humid so how does one accomplish that?

Old 09-28-2011, 12:37 PM

81 posts, read 211,569 times
Welcome to Florida - Lots of heat, humidity, hurricanes, high crime, bad attitudes, bugs, bums, and more!

Old 09-28-2011, 01:09 PM

1,643 posts, read 2,880,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDtrucker View Post
Welcome to Florida - Lots of heat, humidity, hurricanes, high crime, bad attitudes, bugs, bums, and more!
Brought to you by the Florida Board of Tourism and Antagonism.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:22 PM

15,112 posts, read 31,005,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
Brought to you by the Florida Board of Tourism and Antagonism.
Ehh - let a few of these naysayers scare some people off - goodness knows this state has no shortage of people who love it here or dream of the day they can move here. If everybody loved it, this state would be WAY too full. So I'm really happy some of you are leaving, please take a few more with you and let everyone know how bad it is to live here!

Old 09-28-2011, 03:00 PM

14,269 posts, read 15,852,965 times
Everyone here who has read my posts knows I don't like too much heat & humidity, but the moisture is actually good for your skin. Maybe I've gotten to the age where I don't care if my makeup is perfect, but my advice to the women who are complaining about makeup running down their faces - change brands. I use natural mineral powder. Regarding frizzy hair, I guess I'm just happy when it doesn't fall out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
I'm so glad you said this cause I've been saying it all along. Somehow folks equate to living up north is like living in Siberia
LOL - so true. A lot of people look forward to the winter, especially if they enjoy winter sports like skiing and snowmobiling. It all comes down to personal preference.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Everyone here who has read my posts knows I don't like too much heat & humidity, but the moisture is actually good for your skin. Maybe I've gotten to the age where I don't care if my makeup is perfect, but my advice to the women who are complaining about makeup running down their faces - change brands. I use natural mineral powder. Regarding frizzy hair, I guess I'm just happy when it doesn't fall out!

LOL - so true. A lot of people look forward to the winter, especially if they enjoy winter sports like skiing and snowmobiling. It all comes down to personal preference.

You're right, it sure does come down to personal preferences & thanks for the makeup tip, but since the summer I've gotten use to not wearing it anymore. And as far as hair is concerned when the humidity gets to it, I'd be a good candidate for "Girls gone wild", LOL!!

Old 09-28-2011, 03:43 PM

22,553 posts, read 47,237,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark71 View Post
HA it will get better. I lived there for 10 years and then moved to Missouri, I know for a fact that both places are equal in humidity. Good thing come Dec, Jan, Feb you will be out of the cold and ice.
We can't wait to move
I know for a fact that there are a LOT of places that can have the same humidity as swFlorida. That means nothing. It's the dew point. I've witnessed it first hand. Been in Tennessee with the same heat and humidity then later in the day in swFlorida with the same, again. Except it felt like walking through water in Florida.

Read up on dew point. It will get you every time.

Yes, people bring up the length of the summers, how it feels like it will never end. And yes, the heat index can be 88 at midnight in summer.

But the dew point is the killer.

But yes, it is to each their own. The heat barely bothered me when I lived in Florida. In fact it often felt quite good. I have since found that I have a thyroid problem.

My dad hated the heat over on the other coast of Florida then they zapped his thyroid and it doesn't bother him at all.

So there is that.

But I am often amused by the people that make it sound like if it weren't for Florida they would die in a snowbank up north somewhere. As the person from SC said, there ARE other choices.

And getting off the plane and looking around New York and thinking they were in another country? The same can definitely be said about many parts of Florida. I found that state to be a nightmare compared to my picturesque New England town. But nothing compares to the sweet area I live in now. No snowbanks. No endless summers. Stunning fall and spring. Wonderful people. Thriving economy. Life doesn't have to be about extremes. Imagine that.

Carry on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area