Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 05:02 AM

398 posts, read 822,395 times

Advertisements

What kitchen counter tops are most popular for new installations ? You still hear a lot about granite is it still the best for new installations?

Does anyone have any recommendations for someone who does it at a reasonable price?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 05:04 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,142,555 times
corian is big down here. we went with corian but will go to granite when the time comes.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:10 AM

198 posts, read 421,959 times
i had silestone installed when i built my house almost 4 years ago and could not be happier. resembles granite but does not have to be treated/sealed repeatedly and you can cut on it, put hot pans on it and it cleans easily. would not have anything else.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:28 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,002,426 times
IMO, granite is a trend that is FINALLY on the downswing. There are other solid-surface materials gaining popularity that are better looking and much less expensive than granite (corian, recycled glass, concrete, etc...). Definitely look around and do your research before choosing.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:50 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,550,239 times
My boyfriend is a Residential Contractor and does home remodeling and mostly does kitchen and bath remodels in Charlotte and Sarasota County. He said that 99% of his customers are switching to granite. I have shown a few newly built homes in the $180 to $200k price range that had the high definition laminate. The $300k and above price range, almost all had granite. Shop around and go with the style, look, care, and price range that fits for you.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:08 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
I am getting Silestone installed on Thursday. I love this product, natural quartz in resin and polished, I like the look better than granite and it is easier care than granite - never needs sealing and very resistant to stains, also it is anti-microbial.

It depends on your budget and the look you are going for. I personally just like the looks of this better, and feel it goes with my 1950s home. Whatever you decide - do NOT go with the big-box stores. The company doing mine is T H Winston, and they do marble, granite and silestone.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:21 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
I like granite, and install it as often as possible. Prices are much more competative now than they were a few years ago.

That said, There is a new "HOT" design to consider - if you have a few $$. I have seen some new counters installed using quarts - which allows light to shine up through the counters. Then I have seen some kitchen counters and bathroom counters use accent lighting shine up through the counters giving it a nice glow! Really cool! If you have a wet bar in the house (I used too) you could go further and hook the lighting up to a synthysiser or strobe, or multi-color, etc.... Honestly, I like the simple accent lighting that goes with the design of the kitchen and bathroom the best!

Just something to consider.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:56 AM

879 posts, read 1,953,577 times
quartz sounds cool. i like petrified wood or polished concrete.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:12 AM

4,619 posts, read 7,539,060 times
Granite countertops are still popular in the Sarasota area, although I am starting to see other trends popping up such as Quartz, Jerusalem Stone, glass and even some stainless steel with the Ikea fans.

Quartz compounds such as Silestone, Cambria or Zodiaq are usually 97% quartz, which is 2nd in hardness only to diamonds. Granite typically has 50% quartz. These compounds are more stain resistant than granite, cost less and do not require annual sealing. Some lighter colored granites, which are "softer" than the darker granites, require sealing twice a year. The compounds can be tinted to look like granite, the finishes can be gloss or matte (matte may chip more than glass finishes). A new trend is to mix Silestone countertops with a stainless steel countertop on the kitchen island. Most people going with stainless go with a brushed or textured finish to reduce fingerprints.

Jerusalem stone is becoming popular in Europe but new to the U.S. It resembles the sandy tones of limestone, is durable like granite but smooth like marble.

Glass countertops are becoming popular on the 2 coasts, as are mosaic glass tiles. Glass is considered a "green" choice as many are 100% recyclable. Glass countertops don't require sealing, aren't porous and are heat resistant. You can get textured glass finishes to avoid fingerprints.

Cork and bamboo are fairly new options in countertops. Cork wears similar to wood and can be died various colors. It's also very affordable when compared to natural stone. Bamboo is eco friendly, durable, but does require sealing. It can also run as expensive as granite.

Other options such as marble, concrete and slate are not popular with homeowners in our area. Corian does have some popularity in the Sarasota area as it's less expensive than natural stone finishes, although it's also less durable.

I agree with gypsychic & sith on the Silestone/ quartz compound countertops. While granite is a classic with home buyers, I think the ease of care of Silestone will catch on. It would also not surprise me if the new trend of mixing natural stone countertops with stainless steel or other texture island surfaces also catches on.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:25 AM

879 posts, read 1,953,577 times
glass sounds cool too but i grew up in a very "we didn't start the fire" house with granite countertops, stainless steel fridges and mirrors and allll white and black LOL so - those materials seem cold to me.
Billy Joel - We Didn't Start The Fire - YouTube

How thick is the glass they use? I am clutzy and wouldn't want to break it! Also, i still tend to climb on the counter to get high stuff down LOL

stainless steel counters are nice too but too morgue like...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area