U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 08:42 PM

38 posts, read 58,183 times

Advertisements

Hey all , We are a Canadian family trying to move to the area . As you know it is not easy to get a visa , so there is an investment visa available . Any one got any ideas which type of business would do well or is needed in the area . I am a licensed Plumber/Pipefitter and my wife is a legal assistant .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 08:51 PM

7,486 posts, read 19,887,001 times
Mr and Mrs Sunshine could probably give you some pointers on getting your Visa.

I certainly wouldn't recommend moving here without a job and I don't think things are busy enough in the construction field, yet. It might be a little easier finding a job as a legal assistant.

As far as a type of business that might do well, keep in mind there are a lot of retirees in the area. So, maybe something that caters to the elderly. Possibly something in the medical field.

I'm sure others could throw out some ideas as well...

Old 09-27-2011, 02:35 AM

3,961 posts, read 8,483,832 times
In the state of Florida, you have to have a plumbing contractor license to perform plumbing unless you work under a licensed plumber. You can go to the following web site to read more information www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr. The following info is from their web site.

CF and RF - A "plumbing contractor" means a contractor whose contracting business consists of the execution of contracts requiring the experience, financial means, knowledge, and skill to install, maintain, repair, alter, extend, or, when not prohibited by law, design plumbing. A plumbing contractor may install, maintain, repair, alter, extend, or design the following without obtaining any additional local regulatory license, certificate, or registration:
• sanitary drainage or storm drainage facilities;
• venting systems; public or private water supply systems;
• septic tanks; drainage and supply wells;
• swimming pool piping;
• irrigation systems; or
• solar heating water systems and all appurtenances, apparatus, or equipment used in connection with these, including boilers and pressure process piping and including the installation of water, natural gas (excluding liquid petroleum gases), and storm and sanitary sewer lines; and
water and sewer plants and substations;
• the design and installation, maintenance, repair, alteration, or extension of air-piping, vacuum line piping, oxygen line piping, nitrous oxide piping, and all related medical gas systems;
• fire line standpipes and fire sprinklers to the extent authorized by law; ink and chemical lines;
• fuel oil and gasoline piping and tank and pump installation, except bulk storage plants; and
• pneumatic control piping systems.

As far as a legal assistant, there are very few jobs, but there are some in the Sarasota area. Some options might be a real estate legal assistant, a legal assistant in a law office, a legal assistant for a county, city, or state office.

Some job search sites: www.jobfocus.com, www.employflorida.com, www.indeed.com, www.simplyhired.com, www.careerbuilder.com, www.heraldtribune.com.

The medical field is the largest field for employment in this area presently. Other than that most of the jobs are in customer service/retail.

Best of luck to you and your wife.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:39 AM

10,202 posts, read 6,058,457 times
As a fellow Canadian who has explored this type of visa, a few words of advice.

The requirements varies from state to state as to the amount of investment required, AND how many people you may be employing. There are a lot of variables, and your best source frankly is to discuss this with a US consulate.

Certain professions are NAFTA endorsed for free movement between Canada and the US. Here is a list of applicable TN; no trades are included.

You may be required to invest substantial funds; I have heard $500,000 in some states. Here is a good summary (scroll down to E2 visas).

Old 09-27-2011, 07:19 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,689,516 times
good luck in the plumbing business. i have a friend that is a licensed plumber who is just barely paying the bills. they say the national unemployment avg is 9.2% and florida is 12%. i think the real truth is that unemployment is actually above 25%. it will be a long time before there is a shortage of plumbers or for that matter any building trades.

as for business investing, there are many that would like to invest or start a business but based on the trend, uncertainty of regulation and the looming health care mess, money is staying in safe places. why take the chance.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:54 PM

Thank for the replies so far , remember investment does not have to be in our line of work . Any ideas ... anybody ?

Old 09-27-2011, 05:52 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,689,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockall View Post
Thank for the replies so far , remember investment does not have to be in our line of work . Any ideas ... anybody ?
been here almost 2 years and i do not see anything where there is an opportunity to invest. maybe flipping houses? anything i could come up with has been tried and failed or is just hanging on by a thread. economy is in to much of a mess and no one i know sees it getting better for at least a year.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:23 PM

70 posts, read 186,877 times
Very roughly, how much investment capital do you have, and how much time do you want to put into it?

Old 09-27-2011, 11:43 PM

I think the minimum amount of investment is $100k . For a good venture could go to $200k .

Old 09-28-2011, 07:02 AM

5,312 posts, read 8,133,467 times
I live in an area called Lakewood Ranch. It is located just to the east of I75 and is just north of Sarasota. It's a large area with a good sized population. University Parkway runs along our southern edge, SR 70 crosses the center and SR 64 crosses our northern edge, so to speak. We have restaurants of all types but, IMHO, there is a huge need for a McDonalds-type fast food/drive thru restaurant and a Panera-type place inside the ranch on either University or 70. Personally, I think 70 and Lakewood Ranch Blvd would be perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area