Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 10:16 PM

53 posts, read 96,220 times

Advertisements

Put our house on the market to "test" the waters... Got a full-price offer in 3 days! I am still in shock... And now I REALLY have to find my new home in FL!

Well, actually... need to find my new TOWN! I live on these boards and although there is so much incredible information, I still am not sure what will be best for my family. Looking for affordable waterfront (canal, etc, but not lake) with good schools (3 kids in 2nd, 6th and 7th grades.)

I love the Sarasota area, but looked at Cape Coral for the canals- but do not want Lee county because of their school situation. (Also, no beach!) I have heard about Pine View- not sure all 3 will test in. Sarasota Middle seems great, and I've heard good things about Venice as well. What about Charlotte in PG? Any thoughts?

So... I need to know the scoop on Osprey, Venice, PGI or any other areas that would fit the bill. Hoping to keep it in the 300's, max.

Agh! Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 05:59 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,547,697 times
Wow! Congrats on getting an offer on your home right away. Hope all goes well with closing.

Charlotte County Schools and Sarasota County Schools are both “A” rated districts.
Charlotte County Schools - http://www.yourcharlotteschools.net/
Sarasota County Schools - http://www.sarasotacountyschools.net/

The city of Venice is an extremely crowded area and traffic is horrible during snow bird season. The average age in Venice is 68. The Venice, FL area consists of five communities – Venice, Nokomis, South Venice, Osprey, and Laurel.
Venice Chamber – Relocation Information
http://www.venicechamber.com/VisitorInformation/TheVeniceArea/RelocationInformation/tabid/97/Default.aspx

Charlotte County median age is 55. There are many areas in Charlotte County with canal access homes but you would have to go to Englewood or Venice to go to a Gulf beach (35 minutes average)
Charlotte County Chamber – Relocation Information
http://www.charlottecountychamber.org/pages/index.php?pageId=8

Are you looking to buy in a deed restricted community with HOA fees and other amenities, or are you looking to buy in a regular neighborhood without deed restrictions? Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda Isles both have homes on canals.

Some communities/areas to look in:
Charlotte County: There are large homes $300k and under on canals - Englewood, Gulf Cove, South Gulf Cove, Harbor Heights, Punta Gorda Isles, Charlotte Harbor and south of 41 in Port Charlotte.

Venice Area: Homes in this area on canals or waterfront access start at $550k. Sorrento Woods, Shakett Island, Oaks, Hidden Bay Estates, South Creek, Bay Point, Lemon Bay Estates, Casey Key, Lyons Bay.

Your best bet is to come down and look at some homes to get a feel for the areas. Here is a blog I wrote about finding the right neighborhood.

How to choose the right neighborhood
One of the most important things to determine in buying a home is location, location, location. How do you know what neighborhood is right for you? Here is a list that might help you.

1. Would you enjoy living there?
2. How far of a commute is it from work, school, shopping, hospitals, restaurants, parks, entertainment and transportation? Take a test drive.
3. Drive through the neighborhood to get an idea of what it is like. You may want to go at different times throughout the day. What is the noise and traffic level?
4. Does the neighborhood have curb appeal? It is well maintained? Does it have nice landscaping?
5. Does the neighborhood fit in with your demographics? Are you looking for a family friendly neighborhood, a deed restricted neighborhood, a 55 and older retirement neighborhood, or a high or low income neighborhood?
6. Price makes all the difference. Do some research to find out the price range of the neighborhoods so that you can eliminate ones that do not fit within your budget.
7. Check to see what the neighborhood crime statistics are. Look around for graffiti or other signs of criminal activity. Check with local police or check the police blotter in the local newspaper. You want to live in a safe neighborhood.
8. Be aware of any new construction or zoning laws that may be in the neighborhood.
9. If you are choosing a deed restricted community with a homeowner association, find out what the fees are?

Best wishes to you in your move and search for a new home. This area of Florida is a wonderful place to live.

Last edited by TamRE; 10-10-2011 at 06:08 AM..

Old 10-10-2011, 06:05 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,141,907 times
take your time and be sure of what you buy down here. you wont be able to sell near as quick. rent for 6 months to be sure if needed. what is good for one person on here may not be for you. example, i think sarasota is a mini ny/nj and i would not want to live there, but on the same note someone might not want a larger house on a larger lot.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:28 AM

Thanks TamRE and Gettinout...

Renting for a while would be fine with me but again, just need to narrow down the search first.

My husband is set on Longboat Key- we have been there and he loves the quick gulf access as well as the beach right across the street. I am not sure it's the best place to raise a family though, and we can't really afford what we want. He'd be happy in a shack but when I see beautiful spacious homes in PGI, for example, I think we may be better off there...

Gulf Cove and South Gulf Cove... no city water, right? Don't think we we'd want to deal with that... Are there canals that provide quick gulf access in PG? And then the beach being so far is a problem.

Englewood seemed nice but then I have read many posts about it being dead/slow, and also very old. No? Mind you, I am not looking for nightlife. Just signs of life, LOL!

I personally don't mind deed restrictions because I drove through areas that were not and my God, what eyesores! However, I really worry about extra fees.

I didn't realize that Osprey has a median age that high. I dont mind an older population, particularly because people seem more active/younger "at heart" in FL than their equivalents up here. But I DO want to make sure that there are young families as well.

I appreciate all the input!!!!! I look forward to being able to pay it forward and someday be the one answering all the newbies' questions... Right now I am just very thankful!

Old 10-10-2011, 06:43 AM

413 posts, read 828,130 times
Gulf Cove and South Gulf Cove... no city water, right?

We have city water in Gulf Cove.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:54 AM

Great!
I have read so much... I am going to start taking notes (seriously) to keep it all straight...

Salty, happy with schools? Young families? Affordable watefront?

Old 10-10-2011, 06:57 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,000,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNYmommy View Post
Are there canals that provide quick gulf access in PG? And then the beach being so far is a problem.
PGI, SGC, GC, PC all have decent HARBOR access, but it is about 18 nautical miles out to the GULF. So, no, these areas don't have "quick GULF access" If you want that, you will have to pay more $$$ and be right along the coast on a bay or canal.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:05 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Just rent a condo or home on Longboat or Siesta for 7 months to 1 year. This will make your spouse very happy. While you are renting, search all the neighborhoods/homes to buy in all the areas you mention. Try to get a lease for 7 months that allows you month-to-month after that, in case you buy something.

Another option is to rent a home in Gulf Gate area of Sarasota...or Palmer Ranch in Sarasota or Lakewood Ranch in Sarasota/Manatee. All are great family areas with good schools and a great place to live while you are searching for a home to buy.

If you really think you can buy something quickly, maybe rent a "seasonal" home (month by month). But they come furnished and utilities are paid. You pay a 10% tax on them if rent is less than 6 months. Monthly rent is quite a bit more on these rentals. But if you think you will buy something quick, this might be a good option for short term housing.

Seems your immediate priority is finding a place to live pronto. Then you can settle and find your perfect neighborhood and something to buy.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:08 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,141,907 times
you need to do your own research on schools. we do not know thru personal experience the quality of charlotte county schools but from what we researched and were told by longtimers down here, sarasota cty system is much better.

englewood is not all old, just like venice is not all old. if that were the case where are all the kids coming from that go to the schools.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:20 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,547,697 times
I was a teacher in both Sarasota and Charlotte County Schools. Sarasota is a much larger district and they pay higher, but as far as the quality of education - No difference. I would recommend either district, however, there are differences in the individual schools themselves as far as how they are rated by the state and that is based on the population and performance of the students. So, you do have to do your research based on neighborhoods and the schools in that neighborhood, not just the district as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area