Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 07:58 PM

18 posts, read 39,109 times

Advertisements

Sunshine Rules, thanks so much for the useful information, definitely gives us areas to look at before heading down. Can you recommend any zip codes in Sarasota where we might start our search. We would like to keep it to no more than $75,000 and of course in a safe neighbourhood.
Lots of places online, just never sure where the best place is to go. I have had others tell us Sarasota is a place we'd like now and also for when we retire.
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 10:43 PM

4,612 posts, read 7,529,570 times
Sarasota tends to cost more than Bradenton for condos as it's more popular with buyers.

As to condos in your price range, here are some communities you may like:

Palm Aire area just north of University Pkwy - Eagle Creek (34243). Lovely community tucked back on a dead end street. Community pool. 2 listings currently available, both 2 bedroom/2 baths. I've seen one of them - it was clean and freshly painted.

Citywalk - off of Wood street by US41 (34237). No 2 bedroom listings currently for sale, but they pop up now and then. It's an older, smaller gated community (electronic gate) with a smallish community pool and laundry facility. It's a block away from the new Publix grocery store that will be opening very soon.

Village Brooke - Beneva Road south of Webber (34232). This is an older community that went through some issues in the past few years with foreclosures but things are improving and the 2 community pools and other recreational facilities are looking much better maintained. The main complaint I hear about the units is that the kitchen's are dark (no windows) and narrow and do not open to the living room as in newer condos.

Casa del Sol - off of Cattlemen Road south of Bee Ridge (34233). It's a nice community, best side is west, away from the traffic noise of Cattlemen. Buyers cannot rent out their units for 2 years after purchase. It has a community pool and tennis courts.

Carrington Place - off of Beneva south of Clark Rd (34231). There are a couple of listings there in your price range. One has a kitchen that needs some updating with older appliances, the other needs a new AC unit (it's a bank owned listing). Carrington Place has a community pool. It's an older complex but appears well maintained.

Across the street from Carrington Place is Gulf Gate Gardens (also 34231). It was built in 1984 but the buildings and ground appear well maintained. They have a community pool and units have extra storage units. Not a bad deal for around $70,000. Last I checked, there were 2 units for sale in your price range. One has been redone but you have to be a fan of gray or plan to paint a lot of walls before moving in. The other has also been updated and is light and bright, but it is next to Beneva, which is a busy street.

Imperial Place - on Swift just north of Clark Rd (34231). Very close to the Stickney Point bridge to Siesta Key. I know of 1 unit close to your price range, the listing agent said the owners are open to offers. That unit has been used as a rental, for seasonal tenants. The community has a nice pool. The monthly HOA fees are a little higher, at $337 a month.

Just down the road, on Clark is Trinity Village (also 34231). There's a 2 bedroom unit there that's in good, clean condition on the 2nd floor of a building on the back side, further from Clark Rd, although you can hear the traffic noise when you are outside. Trinity Village has a community pool and laundry room, plus they do allow you to BBQ in a designated area. Many older condos don't have that option. The only downside is that the association "borrowed" from it's Reserves fund (reserves are used for large maintenance items like roads, pool & roofs) to help pay regular operating costs over the past few years when foreclosures were an issue. There are a couple of options to replace the funds from the reserves - increase the monthly HOA fees or do a special assessment. If you like Trinity Village, that is definitely a question for the HOA and/or management company.

A newer community on Clark Rd is Admirals Walk (34233). This was originally an apartment complex that was converted to condos. It is gated (electronic) with a clubhouse and community pool. Some units have 1 car garages that have a separate deed. The clubhouse has a fitness center & billiards room. The upstairs units have vaulted ceilings. I don't think there is 2 bedroom unit currently available, but they pop up frequently. It too has had to deal with foreclosures, but they are now recovering financially.

These are probably some of the best options that are not age restricted to 55 & over. You had mentioned that you would like family to visit. Most of the 55 & over communities have restrictive rules on visits by people under 55 and especially those under 18 years of age, such as number of days they can visit.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:29 PM

18 posts, read 39,109 times
Default area

Can anyone tell me about the Bay Pointe at Cortez condos, reading on their website, they look great, but I'd prefer to hear other peoples' opinion o the area, etc.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:12 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymonty View Post
Can anyone tell me about the Bay Pointe at Cortez condos, reading on their website, they look great, but I'd prefer to hear other peoples' opinion o the area, etc.
I don't know anything about the condos, but the area is good. You are convenient to the island/beaches, and there is all sorts of shopping and dining nearby. I pass these all the time on my way to ALDI and Publix which are just blocks away. This is far enough west to be in a nice safe area for the most part. It all looks nice around there to me.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-01-2011, 11:58 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymonty View Post
I'm not familiar with these particular condos, but their HOA Board minutes (last updated May 2011) would concern me -- sounds like they're in litigation with the developer....also they only have three people on a five-person Board. Having lived in many different condo communities over the past 20 years, I've seen both the pro's and con's of living with an HOA, and many problems with new-construction HOAs. I don't think I would want to be involved in another one unless it had years of stable operations and management under its belt. Check them out (I mean any HOAs, not just Bay Pointe) carefully before you commit.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:13 AM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
I also agree you need the help of an agent. I have found in FL, the difference between a "good" neighborhood v. a "bad" one may be a block or two. For example, my mother's in 34209, generally a "good" zip code in NW Bradenton; some very beautiful areas, however, there are some areas sprinkled here and there that are run-down and seedy. It seems like you really need to drive around and check the entire surrounding area. I'm sure a knowledgeable agent could really help.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:54 PM

21 posts, read 44,572 times
Which areas in Sarasota County or Manatee County for single family homes, under $150,000, NO HOA, or voluntary HOA, lower crime area?
Minimum 2 br, 2 ba, 2 car garage, no pool, in a well-maintained neighborhood, safer neighborhood.

Any ideas?

Old 08-13-2012, 10:55 AM

4,612 posts, read 7,529,570 times
There are a number of neighborhoods I can think of that fit your basic criteria, but the inventory of active listings is very low at this time. It would help to have more specifics about what exactly you're looking for.

For instance, what size home? Some 2 bedroom homes can be as small as 980 sq ft, others 1400 sq ft or more living space. Are you willing to consider homes built in the 1960's? 1970's? 1980's? There are more older homes in this price range than those built in the 1990's or 2000's. What about school districts? Are those important to you? There are some nice neighborhoods with homes in your price range but the school districts are not as popular with parents.

Are you open to doing some updating to kitchen and bathrooms?

Are you going to obtain a mortgage or pay cash? If getting a mortgage, what type? Conventional, FHA, VA? That's important information as many short sale and REO listing terms are only open to cash buyers or those getting conventional mortgages.

Do you need to be in a home quickly, say 2 months or less? Short sales are typically some of the better bargains in our current market, but those can takes months from contract to closing. 3 months is common, but sometimes they can take up to 9 months (or more) if there are multiple lenders or other circumstances.

My suggestion is to be prepared to act quickly should a home that meets your criteria comes on the market as nice homes in move in condition priced under $150,000 are often receiving multiple offers within 24 hours of going active in the MLS. If you are paying cash, you'll need a proof of funds letter to submit with your offer. If you are getting a mortgage, you'll want to have a pre-approval letter (not pre-qualified) from your lender to submit with your offer. If it is a bank owned (REO) listing, they will not even consider your offer if you do not have either a proof of funds or pre-approval letter. Having your financial paperwork prepared and ready to submit is very important.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:47 PM

21 posts, read 44,572 times
Size and age not so important. Paying cash, no financing. Dont need to move quickly. Open to updating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area