Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 10:09 AM

17 posts, read 27,120 times

Advertisements

My husband and will be relocating within the next 12 months to the Sarasaota/Venice, FL area.
I see a company called Tervis Tumbler has alot of job openings.
Can anyone tell me anything about working conditions, reputation, etc?
I would appreciate it! I would be applying for office positions. I have a bachelors in business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 10:24 AM

3,179 posts, read 5,958,060 times
Just an FYI, they don't appear to pay very well, even the office staff (from what I've heard from people here). Even with a degree, you're not likely to hire in above $12-13/hr. But then again, if you WOW them with your business knowledge, you might just get a better offer. Good luck!

Old 10-26-2011, 11:16 AM

Default Jobs

Thank you for your fast reply! That is not that inconsistent with most jobs being offered here in the Midwest, $12-13 is actually more than many companies here are offering to start. But I won't lie, that is alot less than I make now.

I am not near old enough to retire but I am not just entering the workforce, either. I've been working for 25+ years. I just would like to work the next 10-15 years in a nice environment, I don't need another career, but I do want to be in a place where I won't wonder why in the world I ever applied....I find out later if I had only done a little investigating, I may have made other decisons.

I have a year to look, I would like to be informed, if I can, by others than really know. Reading websites, etc. is not always factual. I see Venice has a medical center {hospital}. Does anyone know some inside background on their work environment? We are moving to Sarasota/Venice area and intend to house look next Spring.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:19 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,356,267 times
The Venice hospital is owned by a large corporation based on Naples that owns many hospitals. So the good office and support jobs are based in the Naples HQ location.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:21 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,489,790 times
Most office positions start at $10 an hour and some will pay $12 to $14. Here are some job search sites to try.

www.jobfocus.com, www.yoursun.com, www.employflorida.com, www.indeed.com, www.simplyhired.com

I would also recommend looking at Sarasota County jobs and the City of Venice jobs. You will get benefits. Many of the office jobs down here don't even include benefits. They try to hire you 30 hours a week or other part time hours so they don't have to pay benefits. Venice Hospital is that way, they hire a lot of part time for office positions.

Sarasota County - Click on Working Here and then Careers
Sarasota County Government

City of Venice - Job Openings (http://www.venicegov.com/job_openings.htm - broken link)

City of North Port - North Port, FL : Job Opportunities

Best of luck to you.

Last edited by TamRE; 10-26-2011 at 03:37 PM..

Old 10-26-2011, 03:50 PM

Default Jobs

[quote=TamRE;21447449]Most office positions start at $10 an hour and some will pay $12 to $14. Here are some job search sites to try.

www.jobfocus.com, www.yoursun.com, www.employflorida.com, www.indeed.com, www.simplyhired.com

I would also recommend looking at Sarasota County jobs and the City of Venice jobs. You will get benefits. Many of the office jobs down here don't even include benefits. They try to hire you 30 hours a week or other part time hours so they don't have to pay benefits. Venice Hospital is that way, they hire a lot of part time for office positions.

Sarasota County - Click on Working Here and then Careers
Sarasota County Government

City of Venice - Job Openings

City of North Port - North Port, FL : Job Opportunities

Best of luck to you.[/quote]

Thank you for posting. I will look up some of these sites. I have this winter to do some intensive job searching and everything will help in the search. We won't move unless I find employment. My husband sold his business and wants to work part time; I am just not there yet. I am younger than he is and did not have the back breaking career he did.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:11 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,189,608 times
I love Tervis Tumblers. They are expensive but made in the USA! We have a bunch of those Tumblers.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:43 AM

4,892 posts, read 14,081,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkbmpb View Post
My husband and will be relocating within the next 12 months to the Sarasaota/Venice, FL area.
I see a company called Tervis Tumbler has alot of job openings.
Can anyone tell me anything about working conditions, reputation, etc?
I would appreciate it! I would be applying for office positions. I have a bachelors in business.
Job market is very rough going at the moment. Even office jobs are hard to find. What you've already read is correct. If you even found one that paid $13 plus health insurance you'd be doing good. Like most Sarasotans would tell you, if you need to work and do not come down with a job, have a year's worth of income available just in case. It's not easy to secure a job from out of state. It can be done, like anything but certainly takes a lot of work. Last year at this time when I was out of work and secured a new position, there were 150 people who applied in three days for my job. I had come from an extremely reputable company and that got my my job. Good luck!

Old 10-27-2011, 07:27 AM

97 posts, read 274,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Job market is very rough going at the moment. Even office jobs are hard to find. What you've already read is correct. If you even found one that paid $13 plus health insurance you'd be doing good. Like most Sarasotans would tell you, if you need to work and do not come down with a job, have a year's worth of income available just in case. It's not easy to secure a job from out of state. It can be done, like anything but certainly takes a lot of work. Last year at this time when I was out of work and secured a new position, there were 150 people who applied in three days for my job. I had come from an extremely reputable company and that got my my job. Good luck!
So true! I have been down here for almost 6 months and looking for a office job. I have 25+ years experience. No luck so far even with Tervis!

Old 10-27-2011, 07:58 AM

Default Jobs

I am just curious, why is it harder to secure a job being from out of town?
They don't like to wait on people to relocate or is it something else?
I have worked in alot of different areas, HR being one of them. I know the sheer number of people who are out of work and looking, and it is sad. My husband and I could actually retire if we were frugal about it, I just am not ready. I have another 15 years yet. I am trying to be realistic about wages. I had a associate marketing position open, entry, level, paying around $30,000.00 a year to start. Half of the applicants wanted $50K on up as their expecting starting salary, and one wanted more than our president makes....., others, and I mean hundreds that applied, were just not qualified, at all. I think people desparately looking for work just apply for anything, after awhile, in hopes of getting a shot. It is heartbreaking sometimes. I know I have to realistic.

We've done our research, and know this is the area we want to settle in, after many trips down there. I guess all I can do is try. If it takes two years or more, I can wait it out. We still plan to look at real estate when we come down in the Spring. It would be nice to know I have job opportunities, but maybe not so much! Ugh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area