U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 02:08 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,187,942 times

Advertisements

All the areas you mentioned are relatively safe. I leave my windows open all day while we're all off at work & school and don't worry about it. I've lived in Englewood pretty much my whole life and feel safe here. My brother lives in North Port and feels safe. My model home is in Rotonda, and it's safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 02:58 PM

21 posts, read 18,098 times
I have lived and worked in the Venice North Port area for the last 8 years.There has been large increase in property crime over last four years in Venice and North Port.Don't let people fool you that you can leave you doors unlocked.There has been a huge increase in crime the past few years and drugs especially in North Port..I have had my house buraglized my in laws have had their RV broke into twice and the neighbors have had cars broken into.My truck has been broken into 3 times in the past two years.The last time the SOB'S broke the window stole my tach and tires.I had to junk the vehicle after that.Their has also been a few violent crimes in past few years includeing several rapes and murders.If your going to be alone a night with kids I would suggest a large dog and a gun.I have had many people come to me about firearms for protection the past few years.Sadly Venice is not like the town it was ten or twenty years ago.It has grown and not for the good.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:06 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,187,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erattic1 View Post
I have had my house buraglized my in laws have had their RV broke into twice and the neighbors have had cars broken into.My truck has been broken into 3 times in the past two years.The last time the SOB'S broke the window stole my tach and tires.I had to junk the vehicle after that.Their has also been a few violent crimes in past few years includeing several rapes and murders.If your going to be alone a night with kids I would suggest a large dog and a gun.I have had many people come to me about firearms for protection the past few years.Sadly Venice is not like the town it was ten or twenty years ago.It has grown and not for the good.

Okay, so maybe I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum leaving my windows open, but I DO have 3 dogs, albeit small ones. But, are you for real? What area do you live?

Old 11-09-2011, 03:23 PM

6,768 posts, read 12,698,673 times
I live in North Port and have for the last 10 years. I haven't had any of the issues that you talk about. My husband has a work van that would probably be a prime target. Although if anyone showed up at my home they'd be in for a surprise.

There was another post today about people swindling old people in PGI. I think it's kind of a sign of the times, unfortunately.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:33 PM

At that time the home burgalries were off Shamrock Blvd.The vechile ones were on Shamrock Blvd .Venice Ave Forty one area was where my truck was broken into along with several others.A friend had his truck and trailer with all his lawn equipment stolen.They found his truck down by Miami.Also another person I know had his boat stolen found it stripped on the side of the road in Arcadia.A complete loss at least the insurance paid out in that case.Another guy I know from my kids school told me about a boat stripped and left by his driveway(he lives outside of town and works on boats)He called the cops they didn't bother coming out to take a report.Three months later he filed a lean on the boat put motor on it and sold it.Strange times huh?

Old 11-09-2011, 04:01 PM

6,768 posts, read 12,698,673 times
Wow, that's awful! So this all happened in the South Venice area?

Old 11-09-2011, 04:14 PM

Yes Shamrock Blvd area down from the park.And On Grove st. one blosk SW from 41 and Venice Ave.But the strange thing is that it comes in spurts.Nothing for a while then BAM.Nothing consistent.And not only nonviolent property crimes.You will have violent crimes armed robbery,murder rape etc.Very disturbing espically if you have kids.You had Denise Amber Lee kidnapped and raped then killed in NP.Then that little girl taken from her home in the middle of the knight raped then killed and dumped in the woods.The other little girl kidnapped from the churh parking lot raped and killed.As a father I watch my kids very closley.Hopefully I will move this summer God willing.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:31 PM

The bad thing about this area is the weather acutally.You have A LOT of homless moving to this area because of winter.Crimes are up.I had two homless guys tell me yesterday that there was 4 homless people murderd in the past two weeks in Charlotte county.But the cops where keeping it quiet trying to find leads.The next day I had a nother homless person tell me the same thing.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:54 PM

1,571 posts, read 1,583,854 times
CCW dont leave home without it. and at home you dont need the CC part.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:00 PM

Amen rock out with your glock out.(always have a 9mm or a .45 handy.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area