Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2011, 08:09 AM

700 posts, read 1,818,744 times

Advertisements

I'm baaack!
I have an interview for employment with one of the larger employers in SW FL. Would I stick out too much if I wore a suit and tie? The position is not a managerial one but a hands on type of position, White collar.
Would a suit hurt me or should I stick with a golf shirt and khaki's?
Not sure of the 'norm' here yet.
Thanks!
(and thanks for all the CD info I've received!!! Great bunch!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 08:16 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daFrogMan View Post
I'm baaack!
I have an interview for employment with one of the larger employers in SW FL. Would I stick out too much if I wore a suit and tie? The position is not a managerial one but a hands on type of position, White collar.
Would a suit hurt me or should I stick with a golf shirt and khaki's?
Not sure of the 'norm' here yet.
Thanks!
(and thanks for all the CD info I've received!!! Great bunch!)
My opinion is that you can never go wrong by dressing up for an interview (at least a tie) for a "white collar" job. If you get the job and see what the dress code is you can then dress appropriately. First impressions are everything.

Good luck!

Old 12-06-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
My opinion is that you can never go wrong by dressing up for an interview (at least a tie) for a "white collar" job. If you get the job and see what the dress code is you can then dress appropriately. First impressions are everything.

Good luck!
Thanks Gypsy, in hindsight I was going to delete this thread if it hadn't been responded to. I decided to go with the suit also. First impressions do count. I did apply for a gas jockey position years ago wearing a suit. The owner still remembers me after 30+ years.

Suit it is. Didn't want to come off like 'this is what we did back home'. I know that gets under everyone's skin and I don't use it.
Thx!

Old 12-06-2011, 09:23 AM

4,615 posts, read 7,535,442 times
Having previously worked in Human Resources for a large company in Bradenton for several years and having sat on the other side of the desk at job interviews, I agree with gypsychic's advice, wear a suit to the interview. Your insticts are right on this one.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:27 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,000,719 times
Personally, I woudn't go with a suit unless it's a mid-level mgmt or higher position. But, it really depends on the company's dress code (which of course one can only speculate). Many companies have lightened up on dress codes over the years. You can't go wrong with dress pants (NOT casual khaki pants with pockets on the legs!) and a nice dress shirt, both ironed of course. Oh yeah, and the tie. Good luck!!

Old 12-06-2011, 10:34 AM

Thanks all. I'll update how it turns out.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:39 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,547,697 times
Good luck, I hope you get it if it is something you would like.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:42 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
Personally, I woudn't go with a suit unless it's a mid-level mgmt or higher position. But, it really depends on the company's dress code (which of course one can only speculate). Many companies have lightened up on dress codes over the years. You can't go wrong with dress pants (NOT casual khaki pants with pockets on the legs!) and a nice dress shirt, both ironed of course. Oh yeah, and the tie. Good luck!!
He doesn't have the job yet, it doesn't matter what the company's dress code is. You can follow the dress code after you get hired.

While interviewing you should be above the dress code.

Unless they specify that it business casual is OK you wear a suit.

Best of the Luck !

Old 12-06-2011, 05:42 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,003 times
Hope this went great Frogman....I enjoyed meeting you over the weekend. Best of luck, my friend.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:45 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Folks wear suits here too for interviews. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area