U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 11:49 AM

1,645 posts, read 1,753,360 times

Advertisements

Here's a pro:

This morning, December 11, at 8AM, we took our 8 month old daughter Nina and our kooky dog Mallory to the dog beach in Venice 15 minutes away from our home.

It was gorgeous, and there were like-minded people down there with their dogs, and everyone was smiling and the dogs all had a great time. No jacket or sweater was required.

I consider this a "pro."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 01:06 PM

39 posts, read 41,761 times
Love it. We are counting the days. Sarasota will be our new home come January 1,2012

Old 12-11-2011, 01:14 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,753,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
If you want a decent job, try the bigger metro areas such as: Miami/Ft Laud, Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville. Those same areas are pretty vibrant with a lot more young folks.

In many parts of SW FL, there are LOTS AND LOTS of retired, white haired folks everywhere. It is like you are living in a 75 and over retirement community when you drive the roads, go to restaurants, shopping, etc. Even on bicycles, people so old and riding the bikes so slow, you wonder why the bike doesn't fall over from going too slow. It really is culture shock. They walk slow from their cars into the stores....so you try to avoid driving near the store entrances, else you are stuck forever waiting for seniors to s l o w l y walk. Babies and toddlers are an endangered species. You rarely see them and it you do, you stop and look because it is so, so rare. There are pockets of areas with younger folks, usually closer to the cities/action centers. But much of the area is full of folks with white hair. Their grandkids come to visit around the holidays, then you see a few more young folks, but only for a week or so while they are visiting. It's just weird.
I had this general impression for a long time as well, but over time, you realize it is simply not entirely true.

For example, when we went to Venice this morning, as we drove down Venice Ave and turned left to head down to the beach, I took note of the fact that there were two (three?) full basketball games going on at the courts, and that it was all twenty and thirty somethings. And they were not messing around. I saw some serious game faces.

I actually said to my wife "Going by what people say about Venice, I wouldn't have thought that many guys that age lived in the entire town."

True story.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:32 PM

125 posts, read 86,290 times
Quote:
If you want a decent job, try the bigger metro areas such as: Miami/Ft Laud, Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville. Those same areas are pretty vibrant with a lot more young folks.

In many parts of SW FL, there are LOTS AND LOTS of retired, white haired folks everywhere. It is like you are living in a 75 and over retirement community when you drive the roads, go to restaurants, shopping, etc. Even on bicycles, people so old and riding the bikes so slow, you wonder why the bike doesn't fall over from going too slow. It really is culture shock. They walk slow from their cars into the stores....so you try to avoid driving near the store entrances, else you are stuck forever waiting for seniors to s l o w l y walk. Babies and toddlers are an endangered species. You rarely see them and it you do, you stop and look because it is so, so rare. There are pockets of areas with younger folks, usually closer to the cities/action centers. But much of the area is full of folks with white hair. Their grandkids come to visit around the holidays, then you see a few more young folks, but only for a week or so while they are visiting. It's just weird.
I take it that when (and if) you reach retirement age you will leave Florida so the young can enjoy it?

Old 12-11-2011, 03:01 PM

10,271 posts, read 16,748,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth.emm View Post
I take it that when (and if) you reach retirement age you will leave Florida so the young can enjoy it?
Haha - reps to you!

Old 12-11-2011, 03:08 PM

1,485 posts, read 1,352,379 times
And from me too!!!!

Old 12-11-2011, 03:38 PM

5,275 posts, read 5,373,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth.emm View Post
OP was asking for the pros and cons. I am not complaining, just giving what some would consider a pro, and others a con (depends on what you are looking for in a location.) . There are many pros to having lots of retired folks. It is still culture shock, no matter what age you are...even if you are retired. It's just something that is different, and very, very noticable.

If you lived here for a decent amount of time, I am sure you immediately notice "all the young people everywhere" when you travel out of state.

Why you would suggest someone leave the state over making a comment about this common knowledge issue to someone that is asking for pros/cons, makes no sense. And the other folks agreeing. Thanks, cyberbullies. I'll make sure I only post ultra positive posts going forward, to avoid another personal attack.

Each different area(town, part of town, etc) can have a more/less diverse age population. This doesn't mean 100% of the folks are going to be aged in these areas. This doesn't mean that Sarasota has the same age group as Bonita Springs or North Port. But overall, the general area is one of the most aged areas in the USA.

Just something for the OP to make note of, along with all the other info that is being gathered.

Last edited by sware2cod; 12-11-2011 at 03:50 PM..

Old 12-11-2011, 04:03 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,883,038 times
Cons;
One season climate with short respites of relief.

High cost of living compared to average wages.

Home owners insurance is a ticking time bomb.

Traffic is ridiculous at all times of the day and night. Here in St. Pete, people drive ALL THE TIME. I have no idea where they're going at 5:30AM on a Sunday (will possibly be different if you live in the sticks).

Violent crime.

Wages stuck in the '70s.

The state legislature is arguably one of the most corrupt governmental bodies on Earth and they don't care who knows about it-they've rigged the system.

Pros:
If you're budget minded, you could realistically wear nothing but shorts, tee shirts and flip flops every day.

Lots of sports on TV.

Last edited by vaughanwilliams; 12-11-2011 at 04:36 PM..

Old 12-11-2011, 04:25 PM

1,485 posts, read 1,352,379 times
Quote:
OP was asking for the pros and cons. I am not complaining, just giving what some would consider a pro, and others a con (depends on what you are looking for in a location.) . There are many pros to having lots of retired folks. It is still culture shock, no matter what age you are...even if you are retired. It's just something that is different, and very, very noticable.

If you lived here for a decent amount of time, I am sure you immediately notice "all the young people everywhere" when you travel out of state.

Why you would suggest someone leave the state over making a comment about this common knowledge issue to someone that is asking for pros/cons, makes no sense. And the other folks agreeing. Thanks, cyberbullies. I'll make sure I only post ultra positive posts going forward, to avoid another personal attack.

Each different area(town, part of town, etc) can have a more/less diverse age population. This doesn't mean 100% of the folks are going to be aged in these areas. This doesn't mean that Sarasota has the same age group as Bonita Springs or North Port. But overall, the general area is one of the most aged areas in the USA.

Just something for the OP to make note of, along with all the other info that is being gathered.

I'm very sorry if you took my comment as a personal attack. My comment was because it was humerous to me. Mine was not intended as a bully thing, I just got a chuckle out of the previous posters comment. Please accept my apology for coming off as a bully. I too believe people need to know the truths before they move but humor is good don't you think?

Old 12-11-2011, 04:37 PM

10,271 posts, read 16,748,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nphomeowner View Post
I'm very sorry if you took my comment as a personal attack. My comment was because it was humerous to me. Mine was not intended as a bully thing, I just got a chuckle out of the previous posters comment. Please accept my apology for coming off as a bully. I too believe people need to know the truths before they move but humor is good don't you think?
Me too - I just thought it was funny, and thought the poster I "repped" was just being humourous, not bullying. Sware2cod, truly sorry if you thought we were being meanies - peace?

It's true as sware2cod said, there are a lot of old folks here (including me, lol!) but I guess being from coastal Florida I am used to it. Florida IS and always has been a big retirement state and will continue to be so. Everywhere from St. Pete down through Venice at least has a very large share of retirees. There are more and more younger people of different ages coming all the time, however. Sarasota at least has 3 fairly major small and rapidly expanding colleges.

Certain parts of town will be "older" than others. One quickly learns which areas suit one best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area