Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 07:06 AM

41 posts, read 44,255 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving to Florida and also Hot Springs Ar. We have lived in both places, but its been the early 90s for Florida just before the big boom of housing, and lived in Arkansas a few years back. Pros to Florida are nice winters, Beaches,Palm Trees, Central to a lot of things to do I.E. St Augustine, Savannah,Key West, Museums ect.

Cons to Florida are traffic in winter, bugs[like love bugs], possible hurricanes, cost of living is higher than in Arkansas, long way from family. The latter was not a problem years ago but with fuel getting high and jobs hard to find family can not make trips to visit like they did back in the day.

Just wondering what other pros and cons you can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 07:10 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,126,547 times
it all depends on where you move in florida. its a big state. we love it on the west coast and i wouldnt even consider living on the east coast.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:26 AM

41 posts, read 44,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinoutofjersey View Post
it all depends on where you move in florida. its a big state. we love it on the west coast and i wouldnt even consider living on the east coast.
We know nothing about the east coast. We have been looking at the west coast, places like Venice, Sarasota, possibly North Port. Love the warm weather and beaches but its sooo far from people we know. Not sure if maybe being closer would be best.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:50 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,354,624 times
We moved here 6 months ago. We had no real family up North and do have some family here. I left my life long friends which is really hard. I miss them a LOT. Not enough to make me ever move back but I do miss them.

When we first moved I was paranoid of the bugs but after 6 months I no longer am a scared little girl. If I see one I get the spray and kill it, or suck up the random spider in the vacuum. We have the house sprayed professionally and the bugs are now a real NON issue.

The heat and humidity in the summer is pretty brutal BUT we have A/C and beaches so that is also a non-issue and we adjusted pretty well.

We don't find the traffic to be an issue at all. Even with the birds it's less than the traffic up North.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:23 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,489,790 times
Here are just a few Pros and Cons of moving to Florida that I can think of.

Pros
Sunshine and your daily dose of Vitamin D, nice weather, beaches, water views, no state income taxes, no snow to shovel, close to amusement parks and attractions or any type of entertainment, wildlife and nature, outdoor sports year round, water sports and activities year round, palm trees, outdoor living in general year round, you can grow your own fruit

Cons
Hurricanes (rarely in this area), hot summers, bugs(nothing a good pest control company can’t take care of), heavier traffic during snow bird season, longer waits at restaurants and other locations during snow bird season, leaving friends or relatives behind, high homeowner insurance, not very many jobs

Old 12-09-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy_may View Post
We know nothing about the east coast. We have been looking at the west coast, places like Venice, Sarasota, possibly North Port. Love the warm weather and beaches but its sooo far from people we know. Not sure if maybe being closer would be best.
smart move to stick with the west coast if you are looking for a more relaxed, quiet, back to nature lifestyle.

the east coast in the miami, boca raton, palm beach area is just like ny/nj with palm trees and hot weather.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:19 AM

378 posts, read 826,036 times
If you don't have as many troublesome concerns about AR, that may be your best bet. Or get inexpensive places in both states. Or live in AR and be an occasional snowbird.

The west coast of FL is more laid back than the east coast in general.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:39 PM

here is a one example of a good reason you might not to live on the east coast of florida.

Bah Humbug! City Bans Christmas Trees and Menorahs - Fox News Video - Fox News

Old 12-11-2011, 10:13 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,356,267 times
If you want a decent job, try the bigger metro areas such as: Miami/Ft Laud, Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville. Those same areas are pretty vibrant with a lot more young folks.

In many parts of SW FL, there are LOTS AND LOTS of retired, white haired folks everywhere. It is like you are living in a 75 and over retirement community when you drive the roads, go to restaurants, shopping, etc. Even on bicycles, people so old and riding the bikes so slow, you wonder why the bike doesn't fall over from going too slow. It really is culture shock. They walk slow from their cars into the stores....so you try to avoid driving near the store entrances, else you are stuck forever waiting for seniors to s l o w l y walk. Babies and toddlers are an endangered species. You rarely see them and it you do, you stop and look because it is so, so rare. There are pockets of areas with younger folks, usually closer to the cities/action centers. But much of the area is full of folks with white hair. Their grandkids come to visit around the holidays, then you see a few more young folks, but only for a week or so while they are visiting. It's just weird.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:02 AM

535 posts, read 1,023,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
If you want a decent job, try the bigger metro areas such as: Miami/Ft Laud, Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville. Those same areas are pretty vibrant with a lot more young folks.

In many parts of SW FL, there are LOTS AND LOTS of retired, white haired folks everywhere. It is like you are living in a 75 and over retirement community when you drive the roads, go to restaurants, shopping, etc. Even on bicycles, people so old and riding the bikes so slow, you wonder why the bike doesn't fall over from going too slow. It really is culture shock. They walk slow from their cars into the stores....so you try to avoid driving near the store entrances, else you are stuck forever waiting for seniors to s l o w l y walk. Babies and toddlers are an endangered species. You rarely see them and it you do, you stop and look because it is so, so rare. There are pockets of areas with younger folks, usually closer to the cities/action centers. But much of the area is full of folks with white hair. Their grandkids come to visit around the holidays, then you see a few more young folks, but only for a week or so while they are visiting. It's just weird.
I hope you live long enough to earn retirement and enjoy the life in SW Florida. Long live the White hairs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area