Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 11:43 AM

159 posts, read 346,127 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in NJ.. I own a home up here. I am in my 30's.. getting married soon and my fiance and I are looking for a second place for vacationing too mainly.. we want to rent first in Florida and then after getting to know the areas better we will look to buy a single family home in 2-4 years.

I have been to the Sarasota down to Naples areas... spent some time in Fort Myers/Lehigh Acres as well.

I'm wondering a couple things...

1.) what would be the best place for a young couple like ourselves? We would like to be someplace close to the water so we can do fishing, beaches, etc.

2.) Since we are first looking to rent something for a year or two.. would it be better to rent a condo/townhouse or rent a single family home? What are the average price ranges for rentals to consider? we are looking for something around 1,200 square foot.. 2 bedrooms.. 2 bathrooms and possibly a garage?

3.) Being that we would only be down at the florida home sporatically throughout the year we need to make sure it's a safe area that we don't have to worry about not being there that it might get broken into, vandalized, etc. What areas would be best?

4.) And lastly I worry about the prices of flights to/from Florida. I normally fly out of EWR (Newark, NJ airport)... I have flown into RSW (Fort Myers, FL) airport.. and I usually can find pretty cheap non-stop flights there. But I don't know about the Sarasota/Bradenton airport... is it just as nice of an airport as RSW.. are flights about the same price from NJ ?

Thanks everybody for your help.. I really appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 05:05 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,850 times
SRQ is smaller than RSW. still very nice and user friendly. there are less flights to it. price just depends on too many variables. Jet Blue use both I believe and are an excellent airline

Old 01-17-2012, 01:17 PM

yeah I have to check out if Jetblue flies direct into there

Old 01-18-2012, 07:58 AM

287 posts, read 589,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downthrust View Post
I am currently living in NJ.. I own a home up here. I am in my 30's.. getting married soon and my fiance and I are looking for a second place for vacationing too mainly.. we want to rent first in Florida and then after getting to know the areas better we will look to buy a single family home in 2-4 years.

I have been to the Sarasota down to Naples areas... spent some time in Fort Myers/Lehigh Acres as well.

I'm wondering a couple things...

1.) what would be the best place for a young couple like ourselves? We would like to be someplace close to the water so we can do fishing, beaches, etc.

2.) Since we are first looking to rent something for a year or two.. would it be better to rent a condo/townhouse or rent a single family home? What are the average price ranges for rentals to consider? we are looking for something around 1,200 square foot.. 2 bedrooms.. 2 bathrooms and possibly a garage?

3.) Being that we would only be down at the florida home sporatically throughout the year we need to make sure it's a safe area that we don't have to worry about not being there that it might get broken into, vandalized, etc. What areas would be best?

4.) And lastly I worry about the prices of flights to/from Florida. I normally fly out of EWR (Newark, NJ airport)... I have flown into RSW (Fort Myers, FL) airport.. and I usually can find pretty cheap non-stop flights there. But I don't know about the Sarasota/Bradenton airport... is it just as nice of an airport as RSW.. are flights about the same price from NJ ?

Thanks everybody for your help.. I really appreciate it!
We were exactly in your same situation a few short years ago - living and owning a home in NJ, in our 30's, getting married soon and planned to vacation and buy in SWF. If we did it, the both of you can too. Here is how we did it.

1,2,and3) We targeted Palmer Ranch since it is a large community close to the USA's best beach with nice landscaping throughout with lots of nearby shopping. We put an ad in Craigslist married couple looking to share a home and do home chores in Palmer Ranch in addition to paying $1,000 a month.
We had good response and lived in Village Walk with a widower who needed mostly car rides here and there and ate meals with us. It worked out well. And we ended up buying in Palmer Ranch.

4) In most cases the Tampa Airport had best pricing. SRQ was usually the priciest.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:43 AM

very interesting.. you sound exactly like us!!!

where in NJ were you living?

I hate this state!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantPalmerRanch View Post
We were exactly in your same situation a few short years ago - living and owning a home in NJ, in our 30's, getting married soon and planned to vacation and buy in SWF. If we did it, the both of you can too. Here is how we did it.

1,2,and3) We targeted Palmer Ranch since it is a large community close to the USA's best beach with nice landscaping throughout with lots of nearby shopping. We put an ad in Craigslist married couple looking to share a home and do home chores in Palmer Ranch in addition to paying $1,000 a month.
We had good response and lived in Village Walk with a widower who needed mostly car rides here and there and ate meals with us. It worked out well. And we ended up buying in Palmer Ranch.

4) In most cases the Tampa Airport had best pricing. SRQ was usually the priciest.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:08 AM

287 posts, read 589,924 times
We lived in Essex County and hated having to go to Newark for important documents.
Living in Morris county would have been better.

NJ has a lot of work. You can learn, work and gain lots of knowledge/experience. And then after being through this apply your entrepreneur skills here in Sarasota.

Life is is short. You have the right idea start enjoying the healthy lifestyle here way before you officially retire.

I think a lot of people have it backwards retiring here at 65+ when they should have come here years ago.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:21 AM

157 posts, read 389,345 times
How funny I thought the same way, I'm 35 and thought why not just make the move now as Sarasota ticks so many boxes now, it's not a town reserved for the over 65's, this place is buzzing with a young set as well...good luck with your move, somebody did tell me today though that 'Cougar Town' is based on Sarasota, so lock up your husbands!!!!!!

Old 01-19-2012, 06:42 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,811 times
Jet Blue doesn't fly to Sarasota airport from Newark (I wish). They fly from JFK to Sarasota..but from NJ it's easier to fly from Newark to Tampa.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:53 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
Going to visit my Mom in Bradenton, I fly out of Philly and it's always cheaper going into Tampa, not to mention there are no direct flights from PHL to SRQ. And it's not that much of a hassle driving from TPA to Bradenton, only about 45 mins. or so.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:57 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,494,478 times
Not sure where in NJ you live but you could also look into flying out of smaller airports on regionals. Allegient flys out of Allentown, PA and Spirit flys out of Atlantic City for instance.

On a side point curious why you seem to be looking for a long term lease on a place you will only use sporadically. There are a lot of rentals where the owners barely use their place and are looking to rent out. If you are capable of scheduling your trips for say a year out I would contact a realtor that does rentals and see what price I could work out with scheduled stays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area