Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2012, 01:52 PM

2 posts, read 2,917 times

Advertisements

Long time lurker; first-time poster.

So I'm looking for a place south of Sarasota; would consider as far as Punta Gorda. My parameters are:

3/2
<$175,000
1/2+ acre lot
no HOA or deed restrictions (I want to do a veggie garden, some permaculture, etc.)
Reasonable proximity to the Gulf.

Just looking at the map, the Nokomis/Laurel area seems attractive because of the proximity to both Sarasota and Port Charlotte.

Having done a bit of research, I know that the house/lot/price combo is difficult to find, but not out of the question. The thing I don't don't know about is the zoning/restriction environment in the various locations.

I would welcome input, questions, or recommendations for a good realtor.

Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 02:00 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,405,025 times
sent you a direct mssg

Old 01-24-2012, 02:22 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,513,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter Brown View Post

So I'm looking for a place south of Sarasota; would consider as far as Punta Gorda. My parameters are:

3/2
<$175,000
1/2+ acre lot
no HOA or deed restrictions (I want to do a veggie garden, some permaculture, etc.)

Just looking at the map, the Nokomis/Laurel area seems attractive because of the proximity to both Sarasota and Port Charlotte.

Having done a bit of research, I know that the house/lot/price combo is difficult to find, but not out of the question. The thing I don't don't know about is the zoning/restriction environment in the various locations.

Many thanks.
There are over 200 homes in the MLS right now that match the search criteria you provided. Can you give further details such as square footage of home, age of home, whether you want a normal sale, bank foreclosure or short sale, pool, garage or any other must haves?

If you are looking for homes online you may want to look for a home that says on a double lot. A normal sized lot in a non-deed restricted community would be 10,000 sq ft. North Port Estates has single family homes on large lots with acreage. This area is zoned agricultural where you could certainly have your own garden. But you could also have a garden in your backyard on a normal lot. North Port is 25 minutes to the Gulf. It is located in southern Sarasota County.

Most of the homes with 1/2+ acre lots are in Englewood, North Port, Port Charlotte, and Punta Gorda.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:10 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,124,522 times
damn, take out the no HOA requirement and I will have the ideal home for you in MArch. :-(

Old 01-25-2012, 07:54 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,045,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter Brown View Post

3/2
<$175,000
1/2+ acre lot

Many thanks.
I think you'll find something. You didn't say you needed to be on the water, so you should have a lot of options especially in the PC area.
When you say HOA - we know you don't want those fees, but deed restrictions - do you intend to have a boat, RV, and trailers parked in your yard? If not then what restrictions worry you?

Old 01-25-2012, 09:14 AM

2 posts, read 2,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamRE View Post
Can you give further details such as square footage of home, age of home, whether you want a normal sale, bank foreclosure or short sale, pool, garage or any other must haves?
Many thanks for the reply and the direction thus far. 1800+ sf would be nice, 1995 or later construction, no pool (don't want the hassle), garage would be nice but not necessarily a deal killer. Shorts or foreclosures are worth a look; fixer-upers not so much.

North Port Estates seems to have the basic concept that I'm looking for, but one of the properties online seems to have been used by local youth as an impromptu recreation center. Is that a common problem in the area?

Quote:
When you say HOA - we know you don't want those fees, but deed restrictions - do you intend to have a boat, RV, and trailers parked in your yard? If not then what restrictions worry you?
Might want some critters. Might want to park a boat or travel trailer.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:34 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,513,057 times
Right now most of the homes in North Port Estates are in the 200k range. There are some other double lot homes that come up in the MLS. If you are looking to have animals (critters), that might be the place for you. Not sure what type of critters you are thinking of. Also, you may want to look into Charlotte Ranchettes in Punta Gorda. That is similar to North Port Estates. Here are descriptions of both communities.

North Port Estates
If you love horses, North Port Estates is the place to be. Featuring acres of wide open land and spaces, this beautiful pastoral setting and family environment is the perfect place to settle down and get away from the hectic pace of city life.

Situated south of Venice along the I-75 corridor, North Port Estates runs north and south and features numerous home sites of three to five acres, providing plenty of space to feel completely free. Prospective buyers will find a wide array of different architectural styles represented in this bucolic community. Choose from your own sprawling farmhouse complete with a pond on site to a smaller scale, more modern estate. Concerned about privacy? Many homes in the area feature a long driveway or private gate to provide complete seclusion.

Charlotte Ranchettes
Charlotte Ranchettes is one of the most peaceful and tranquil communities in the Punta Gorda area. Prospective buyers will find the community outside the city limits of Punta Gorda, ensuring complete seclusion and privacy. The small estates here are perfect for keeping your horses or other animals. Buyers who have longed for the opportunity to spread out and have plenty of room to live a tranquil, country lifestyle will welcome the spacious estates offered in Charlotte Ranchettes. The community actually backs up to a beautiful preserve area. As a result, you shouldn’t be surprised if you see wildlife wandering through your back yard. Since there are no deed-restrictions in Charlotte Ranchettes, this community is the ideal place to have your own little farm.

You will also find there to be an array of residential options in Charlotte Ranchettes that range from modest ranch style homes to spacious farm homes. Even if it is your dream to build your own home you can rest assured that whatever you have in mind will be completely at home here. Flexibility and freedom abound in this charming community. Charlotte Ranchettes is the place to be for those buyers who are looking to slow down and enjoy a relaxed and unhurried lifestyle in the country.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:01 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,859,356 times
I think TammyRE is on the right path. North Port Estates or Charlotte Ranchettes seem perfect for you. North Port Estates has 3 or 5 acres parcels and is zoned agriculturally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area