Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2012, 11:43 AM

28 posts, read 69,713 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

In the Bradenton area, who would you recommend for a very good residential home inspector. I would like them to know enough about the signs for CDW (Chinese Drywall) as well, so if there is any possibility that we then hire the real CDW pros to come in as well. I know sometimes Realtors will make suggestions but I am a little leary of that, since they want the house to sell so they can make their commission (nothing personal to all the Realtors out there, just have had that happen before in other states).

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 12:25 PM

4,619 posts, read 7,539,060 times
Hi,

As to home inspectors, up until 2011, the state of FL did not regulate or license home inspectors, other than the required county occupational license. Anyone could hang out a sign and become a home inspector.

The state of FL now requires home inspectors to take and pass course requirements and a state test. All home inspectors must now be licensed through the FL Department of Business & Professional Regulation.

I understand people may be concerned about using a home inspector recommended by their agent. Some home inspectors have reputations for doing more thorough inspections than others. Buyers should seek out qualified home inspectors with good credentials, experience and good references. One group you may want to check into is the American Society of Home Inspectors (also known as ASHI). This group has an in depth process to obtain full accreditation for it's members. You can read more on ASHI at American Society of Home Inspectors, ASHI They also provide contact information for ASHI members in the Sarasota - Bradenton area.

With one or two exceptions which have contractor and FABI (FL Association of Building Inspectors) credentials, the only home inspectors I ever recommend to my customers are members of ASHI that have several years or more of experience behind them. We are fortunate to have quite a few ASHI members in our area.

Whether you use a home inspector off of a list provided by your agent or someone recommended by friends, check their credentials, ask questions, seek references.

As in many things in life, the more you know, the better choices you can make.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:42 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
I'll add that any agent who has a brain will not recommend only one inspector because there is simply too much liability in doing so. I tend to offer three that I've seen in action and believe to be pretty thorough but I always make clear that it is up to the buyer to select an inspector. None will give you a promise that they'll catch everything...they can't...but I'll bet all of them at least know what to look for regarding CDW. If you want info on the ones I tend to offer, just PM me. I'm sure Sunshine has hers, too.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:06 PM

285 posts, read 639,211 times
Barry Greer of Alert Inspection does a thorough and outstanding job. I placed a bid on a foreclosure and he discovered so many things wrong with the home that I missed in my tours that I ended up backing out of the contract. Alert Inspection is a member of ASHI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area