U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 10:14 AM

1,023 posts, read 2,824,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allfurrdup View Post
I'm another one of the degreed individuals (single-parent to boot) facing the deplorable job scene in Venice and the surrounding cities. I have many years (13.5 at one company, shows stability, right?) of business experience, customer service, financial services (but, not banking...eeooow), and many other admin assistance/executive assistance type of skills. I've had many interviews and most of the recruiters/companies (reputable) don't even bother giving you the consideration of letting you know whether they will/will not offer you a job. They just ignore you and don't return your phone calls. Not that I'm pestering them, but I would like an answer. I've learned that you don't ever tell them you have kids or need to make arrangements at least a day in advance. I'm looking for FT work, but will take temp work also. Temp agencies are useless although I've heard others having success. I applied for a temp govt. job yesterday and made the mistake of mentioning that I was also looking for FT work. Right away, red flag. She didn't want to pursue anything because if they took the time to train me, I might leave in 4 weeks for the full time job I really need. So, I was screwed. I then had the revelation, if I'm trying to get a measly $10-12 per hr. job (I feel so devalued here in paradise!!) I thought I might as well get it in Venice and not have the commute to Sarasota, given the gas situation. Then, I started thinking about the other jobs I've applied for and wonder why I'm not getting offers. I'm playing the game...believe me. Sending all the thank-you's, being polite, dressing professionally, practicing all the behavioral, etc. questions an interviewer might ask. I know how the game is played. Been at it for a YEAR now. Done plenty of research on this subject and have 20-30 versions of my resume out in the world. I thought maybe there is some discrimination going on. Can't prove it....but, I am from out of state, I've been (unsuccessfully, though they don't know it) self employed (therefore a 2 year gap...going to Hell for that one), and am a graduate/former resident of a state known for its Mormonism (though I'm not LDS and escaped unscathed). Maybe FL employers deep down want to extend jobs to FL natives (or look like natives). I can't fake where I obtained my education or where I've lived since every job I apply to does the standard background and credit checks. Speaking of credit, mine is perfect and within 30 days or so I'll be forced to file for bankruptcy. I'm working on feeling unattached to my stuff that I've accumulated for the last 30 years or so. My 7 year old is terrified that we'll be on the street and that her childhood is going to be this horrible thing. I think I can feel the resentment building in her. Her school is great and provides all the "additional help and services" she needs. Even with a bankruptcy, I will have to somehow "coordinate" 2, maybe 3 jobs to make ends meet. Some places (Lowe's) flat out tell me I can't apply because I'm not "flexible enough." I've had to apply for help because I know we're going to need it. I've depleted all of my retirement assets and am in debt up to my eyeballs. We are not living high on the hog by any means. Now, why does someone with my education and background have to go through this garbage? I want to be able to keep my house because I know the market will come back around someday. In this current market, I can't even dream of getting a buyer because of the inventory already for sale. And, to be upside down in a house purchased 1.5 years ago, well, it's sickening. I'm painting a spare bedroom in hopes of maybe obtaining a roommate. But, I'm strict and have a child. I can't be taking in a partier. A serious student or traveling flight attendant, maybe!! Sorry to dump here, but I'm open to any ideas. Maybe there might be some I've not heard before.
Can I ask what made you move there? Did you buy a home without a job in hand? No insult intended at all, but that might end up being an issue for anyone, anywhere. We laid off construction superintendents here in Jacksonville in February of 2006, and some of them still don't have work. One is answering phones at a call center, one is driving a cab. Depending on your experience, you might be scary to a local employer. If they know they can find someone who will be happy with $12 and they know you used to make 50K....do the math. Every business is in the market to make money. Citibank etc. all farmed out their business to India. It's not just the area you moved to. The coastal towns of Florida are not known for high paying corporate jobs. Anyone with those types of jobs should be wary of moving there. If you are in a trade (RE, mechanic, massage, medical, boating, sales, teaching etc.) you can do fine. If you are in banking, finance, corporate, development, admin, Human Resources, marketing, PR, advertising etc. good luck. It's not the market for it yet. My husband is a captain and a yacht broker, and we do very well in these areas. I am a teacher, but right now work from home consulting for a company in Los Angeles. Don't look so locally...see what can be attained on a consultative basis etc.
I don't have any advice regarding the home. I'd be a very wealthy woman if I did. You are in the same boat as many American's right now. Best bet is rent it out, and move where you can work, or take a loss and start over...might be better than filing for bankruptcy. Good luck to you.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeebrainard View Post
It is doom and gloom when you (and your husband) have worked all our lives, have professional degrees from major universities, and are looking at potential homelessness. We are highly educated, good, down-to-earth people who are destitute due to this economy and the housing market. So, if we get to the point of people paying for our house before we have to foreclose and live in a shelter, PLEASE let me know !!
Don't be so down. If you are truly two educated people, you shouldn't ever have to live in a shelter. The one positive of being a foreclosure casualty today, is that you will one of millions of people (most of whom are educated, and degreed). Thus, you will be better off than the ones who were foreclosed on when that was highly taboo. Try a short sale on your home. Call the bank, send them a hardship letter, and get the he** out of dodge. It will drop your credit by 50 points each, but will not show as anything but a loss..no late pay, no foreclosure. If you are truly educated people, open up your mind, and know there are things out there to help you out of the situation. You are not the only one in this boat, and it's not hopeless. Find a job somewhere else, and start rebuilding. People have had to do that for years...not just in this market. Life happens, and life can suck. I have friends who were stay at home moms, husband died tragically....credit went in the toilet, had to move, had to start working, had to put child in daycare. However, they got on with it, took the cards dealt to them, learned from the experience, and are better off for it. Every now and then, no matter how educated or prepared you think you are...life throws a curve ball. If you lay down and cry...hey, pretty weak right. No, figure out your options and move on. Life and time will not stop for you to have a pitty party. I feel for you, but do know that since you are degreed, and good people...this isn't it for either of you.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:55 AM

9 posts, read 24,174 times
In an answer to your question as to why I moved here...I stupidly relied on the information of a "trusted" long time friend who said that the economy was "great" (2 years ago) and that she was making tons of money flipping land. I hated my job at the time and felt like I was being micro-managed to death and could be fired for anything at the next moment. Not a way to live, either. I wanted new opportunities and a chance to be my own boss. I thought I could come out here and make some good bank for a couple of years. I knew what was happening wouldn't last forever. It didn't in CA and there was no reason for FL to be any different. What irks me so much is the friend would always say she'd been in real estate for 20 years and knew real estate. I guess I trusted her to know much more than she did and to be able to point out trends and know that FL was perfectly poised for the bursting bubble (if she really followed real estate). Unfortunately, I didn't know this person as well as I did long. She was totally mis-informed about the real economy and the type who liked to toot her own horn, know it all, sounded credible, but come to find out...no. And, yes I did buy this house without a job. Funny how you could do that based on retirement assets for collateral. I didn't expect it to take this long to get a job. I felt I was more marketable than apparently I was. My eyes are open now. I will look into short sales. Is that where you just give back the house and that's that?

Old 11-29-2007, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allfurrdup View Post
In an answer to your question as to why I moved here...I stupidly relied on the information of a "trusted" long time friend who said that the economy was "great" (2 years ago) and that she was making tons of money flipping land. I hated my job at the time and felt like I was being micro-managed to death and could be fired for anything at the next moment. Not a way to live, either. I wanted new opportunities and a chance to be my own boss. I thought I could come out here and make some good bank for a couple of years. I knew what was happening wouldn't last forever. It didn't in CA and there was no reason for FL to be any different. What irks me so much is the friend would always say she'd been in real estate for 20 years and knew real estate. I guess I trusted her to know much more than she did and to be able to point out trends and know that FL was perfectly poised for the bursting bubble (if she really followed real estate). Unfortunately, I didn't know this person as well as I did long. She was totally mis-informed about the real economy and the type who liked to toot her own horn, know it all, sounded credible, but come to find out...no. And, yes I did buy this house without a job. Funny how you could do that based on retirement assets for collateral. I didn't expect it to take this long to get a job. I felt I was more marketable than apparently I was. My eyes are open now. I will look into short sales. Is that where you just give back the house and that's that?
Let me first say that your "friend" might have thought she knew what she was talking about, and didn't mean to burn you. That happened to many "know it alls" in this market. However, that doesn't help you now. I've also been in your shoes where any move seems better than the crappy job, miserable boss, and pins and needle existence. LOL Grass is always greener right? Ok, yes, short sale, in essence is when you "give it back". However, it can be complicated, so you'll have to "trust" another realtor. I have one to refer to you. She is a native of that area, and very realistic about the market there. I don't think I can say her name, or give you her number on here...so email me directly. Basically, your mortgage holder will want to get the home reappraised, you'll have to give them a notarized hardship letter and some other docs proving you are in some sort of situation out of your control that makes it difficult to keep up with the payments. They will work with you and your agent. Basically, you'll put it on the market for less than you bought it for. The bank on a short sale is basicaly saying they will take less for the home. It's WAY more beneficial to them then to absorb tons of fees going through foreclosure. They will be the ones to accept and offer or not, on your behalf...and then you walk away. It doesn't necessarily get your home sold faster, as banks work on their own time. BUT, it frees you up from having to provide a survey, any repair allowances etc. The home is sold as is. Depending on how much you put down, you could do ok for yourself, and start over somewhere else. Hey, I'm in Jax, and don't like it here. BUT, you might...still nice weather, and more corporate jobs. (I am actually in HR, and hire for large company up here). You might want to look into this area. Still growing, prices are good, but I don't like the layout or the lack of culture, progressiveness or arts they offer. It's too local ocal, country, hunting, trucks and deer heads for me. On the flip side is the crime, drug and inner city side :-) I'm not trying to offend anyone...just not my style.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:52 AM

3 posts, read 6,142 times
Default Moving to Venice

My husband and I are looking to purchase a home in Venice but I'm concerned about the median age (68). Our second choice is North Port.
Any suggestions?

Last edited by sunrico90; 02-08-2008 at 03:37 PM.. Reason: Please start a new thread, this one is bit old...closed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area