Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 06:55 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,261,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
If you evacuated from Charlie, you didn't experience the strenght of the hurricane. You just got to experience evacuation.

We evacuated to Orlando and he came right through with 105 mph winds.. Now, I understand what you mean, it is important to learn that being inland changes things when talking about strength..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 01:42 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,969,541 times
Hurricane Elena was no fun. It sat out in the Gulf for days before deciding where to go. However, there was also the "no name" storm that hit in the late 80's, the flooding from that was pretty bad in some areas. That storm took everyone by surprise and caused a lot of damage. No one was prepared, not even the forecasters, lol.

But in answer to your question, hurricanes always seem to go somewhere else, although there have been quite a few tropical storms. That being said, you never know when it will be Bradenton's turn, chances are, it will be someday, so be prepared, know what zone you're in, and leave if they tell you to.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:13 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,370,428 times
Default Big Category 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
Funny thing, My husband and I honeymooned and lived through Charlie. Had to evacuate up in Sand Key, headed to Orlando to see him follow us. All in all, a hurricane is just a rain storm with a load of water and wind. Sure they can be dangerous and unpredictable, but from what I have seen, not too much of a threat unless it's a bigger cat.
Believe me a category 4 or 5 hurricane IS a BIG THREAT!! Definitely nothing to regard as a minor inconvenience. Check out the damage of Hurricane Andrew in Miami in 1992 or Hurricane Katrina more recently.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:21 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,273,769 times
I'm in Naples, and I'm not looking forward to a hurricane hitting here at all. I've been through earthquakes in California, Loma Prieta in 89, and numerous tornadoes in Texas and Alabama, with the ranch I lived on having been destroyed by an F4, and I really don't need the experience of a hurricane. At least with a hurricane though, you know it's coming long before it gets there. With tornadoes and earthquakes it's a very different story. They are on you right now. At least I'll be able to evacuate before it gets here.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:34 AM

Default Hurricane After Many Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by happeemommee View Post
But in answer to your question, hurricanes always seem to go somewhere else, although there have been quite a few tropical storms. That being said, you never know when it will be Bradenton's turn, chances are, it will be someday, so be prepared, know what zone you're in, and leave if they tell you to.
When we moved to Miami in 1992, there had not been a hurricane there in 30 yrs. The Hurricane Andrew came (category 5) and devastation was terrible in many places. Don't depend on the fact that a city has not yet been hit. It can happen any year for the very first time or the first time in many, many years.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
When we moved to Miami in 1992, there had not been a hurricane there in 30 yrs. The Hurricane Andrew came (category 5) and devastation was terrible in many places. Don't depend on the fact that a city has not yet been hit. It can happen any year for the very first time or the first time in many, many years.
Yup, I know, that's why I said, "That being said, you never know when it will be Bradenton's turn, chances are, it will be someday, so be prepared, know what zone you're in, and leave if they tell you to."

It's important to watch the weather,stay informed and be prepared no matter where you are in Florida. A weather radio is a good idea and lots of batteries (anytime of year) because Florida's weather has always changed quickly - same goes for hurricanes, no one knows for 100% where they will go.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:24 PM

Default Just Agreeing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by happeemommee View Post
Yup, I know, that's why I said, "That being said, you never know when it will be Bradenton's turn, chances are, it will be someday, so be prepared, know what zone you're in, and leave if they tell you to."

It's important to watch the weather,stay informed and be prepared no matter where you are in Florida. A weather radio is a good idea and lots of batteries (anytime of year) because Florida's weather has always changed quickly - same goes for hurricanes, no one knows for 100% where they will go.
I wasn't ignoring your post, merely backing up what you said!!!!

Old 06-16-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
I wasn't ignoring your post, merely backing up what you said!!!!
Lol, it's all good. It's so hard to read "tone of text". I just wanted to make sure that the OP didn't miss it either.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,999 times
Hurricanes come through in seasons. We'll get 1 year that has a lot and then 3 or 4 that have a few tropical storms that never make landfall. I remember in 2004 we had a very busy year. My family didn't leave at all though. We haven't had a busy year since. 2004 had to go to the Greek alphabet because we ran out of names.
Bradenton area only ever seems to get the outer bands of heavy rain and strong winds. Right now we have the outer bands of Debby who is sitting on top of Jacksonville.
My grandpa used to tell us an old folktale about Bradenton being a sacred place that never had natural disasters. It's never had the center of a hurricane but that's not to say that it won't happen. Living anywhere in Florida always has the risk of being in the center of a hurricane.
I've lived in Bradenton my entire life. Of all of the hurricanes that have come through in 18 years, Charley was probably the worst. We had to redo our roof because he took off half of the shingles! And that was only from the outer bands. Just because we don't get the worst of it doesn't mean we don't get some pretty bad damage.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:39 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkifro8994 View Post
Hurricanes come through in seasons. We'll get 1 year that has a lot and then 3 or 4 that have a few tropical storms that never make landfall. I remember in 2004 we had a very busy year. My family didn't leave at all though. We haven't had a busy year since. 2004 had to go to the Greek alphabet because we ran out of names.
Bradenton area only ever seems to get the outer bands of heavy rain and strong winds. Right now we have the outer bands of Debby who is sitting on top of Jacksonville.
My grandpa used to tell us an old folktale about Bradenton being a sacred place that never had natural disasters. It's never had the center of a hurricane but that's not to say that it won't happen. Living anywhere in Florida always has the risk of being in the center of a hurricane.
I've lived in Bradenton my entire life. Of all of the hurricanes that have come through in 18 years, Charley was probably the worst. We had to redo our roof because he took off half of the shingles! And that was only from the outer bands. Just because we don't get the worst of it doesn't mean we don't get some pretty bad damage.
Hey nikki - what was the folk tale that your grandpa used to tell you, and where did it originate? I have always heard there was some sort of "protection" for the area, but never had details. Not that I necessarily would believe a folk tale, just interested in this stuff -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area