Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 12:27 PM

3 posts, read 28,502 times

Advertisements

We live in upstate NY and spouse cannot handle the cold winters here any longer.He has spent weeks on end inside the house, so, we are searching for warmer winter climates for him,but, many we have spoken to have said florida summers are unbearably humid.Does anyone who lives there have an opinion they could share? And, are the bugs and spiders as bad as we hear?We will be making a move this summer. We have a child in 4th grade , and have read in these forums that Sarasota and surrounding areas have very good schools,which is very important to us. Thank you for any help.
harryjo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 06:25 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,001,502 times
Yes, it is humid. How humid can you tolerate? Only you and the family can determine. Only way to find out is to come for a 1-2 week visit June-September when the humidity is at it's highest, and see how much time you can spend outdoors. Many folks shack up in the A/C ALL summer. I would go nuts. We still spend a LOT of time outdoors in the summer, but you learn to take precautions (not overdoing it physically, drinking lots of water, sunblock sunblock sunblock, etc....)

Old 02-27-2012, 10:52 AM

398 posts, read 822,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryjo View Post
We live in upstate NY and spouse cannot handle the cold winters here any longer.He has spent weeks on end inside the house, so, we are searching for warmer winter climates for him,but, many we have spoken to have said florida summers are unbearably humid.Does anyone who lives there have an opinion they could share? And, are the bugs and spiders as bad as we hear?We will be making a move this summer. We have a child in 4th grade , and have read in these forums that Sarasota and surrounding areas have very good schools,which is very important to us. Thank you for any help.
harryjo
Average Weather for Sarasota, FL - Temperature and Precipitation

I have COPD and June thru September are the worst, but manageable for me. Your spouse may want to curtail trips during the bad times, if he/she wants to manage COPD. We put a humidistat in our home & it helps a lot.

The best suggestion is get down here and experience it yourselves during the worst timeframe while you look for a place to live.

Bugs & insects are here but if you spray your home quarterly they don't have to be an issue.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 02-28-2012, 03:28 PM

12 posts, read 32,247 times
Agree fully with folks that say u should come for a visit first. If u stay inside mostly, inside air quality is more important than outside and make sure you have very good air filtration on your ac system. Also agree that bugs are not a problem in the house if you spray, but the chemicals might aggravate copd also. There are some good "healthy" insecticides you can get at the do-it-yourself places. Near the seashore, the air is fresher and fewer mosquitoes; I would check that out first. Gulf Gate use to be a good place but is kind of smokey right now - still researching on that, to be continued. I had somewhat severe copd myself but was able to get off most of the drugs after 5 yrs here in north GG. I don't have much more trouble in summers, which are humid, but others have told me that is their worst time respiratorywise.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:51 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Bugs are a non issue other than fire ants that are outside in the ground. You just have to be careful where you step because they have mounds of thousands of them. If you step on the mound, the come out biting.

it is hot and humid in the summer. You try to do outside stuff before 9am, such as dog walking or yard work. It is ok in the summer to run from your car to the store or to get the mail. But you could get soaking wet if you try to walk a few blocks in the middle of the day.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:43 PM

36 posts, read 70,569 times
My husband has COPD. When we lived in WI full time, his pulmonary doc said "The lower the altitude, the better". We did visit for a week one July to see how he managed....and there were no issues. We sold our WI house, moved here this past August and he's doing fine

Old 02-29-2012, 05:35 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,344,507 times
Yes, it is humid, but I have honestly found that the humidity in Washington DC was much worse, if that gives you any perspective.

Bugs? Meh. They're really not bad in most areas.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:45 AM

3 posts, read 28,502 times
Default Thank you to everyone who has posted a reply!

I guess the best way to find out what the best choice is for us ,will be to visit during the summer break and see how hubby does.Each copd patient has their own unique triggers, and my husband also has asthma as well,which complicates things a bit more. We are also considering looking into parts of North Carolina as well.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:51 AM

1,721 posts, read 2,786,141 times
I moved from new Hampshire and st first it was hot especially working outsider. But I've gotton more ilused to it. My way of thinking is even if it is hot it's not bad relaxing in the shade or inside. So rather then spend you winters I doors and freeze when you go outside Spend summers here a d heat to me is no way near as bad as freezing when you are outside. I think the pluses outweigh the negatives.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:55 PM

100 posts, read 146,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryjo View Post
harryjo
I have copd and I have no trouble with the humidity and others I know with same condition do. The cold bothers me. I too lived in upstate NY and I couldn't breathe up there when it was cold which is most of the time.
The humidity here is the same as there.

As far as spiders and bugs. NY has just as many.
You'll either love it or hate it. I for one love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area