Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 11:29 AM

220 posts, read 269,996 times

Advertisements

We were wondering what places are good,very good or maybe a place to not bother going to. Any recs would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 02:49 PM

913 posts, read 2,362,228 times
Chicago Beef Co. and El Panifico

Old 03-01-2012, 07:24 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
We love Veg: VEG - A VEGETARIAN SEAFOOD EATERY | CAFE | RESTAURANT | SARASOTA - FLORIDA - 2012

Old 03-01-2012, 08:26 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,464,673 times
Ham Heaven & Devil Dog, I stoped in there today and had one of the best Pastrami on Rye I've ever had in a long time. Not much of a sit down atmosphere, a few seats, but great sandwhiches, mostly, I would say to take out. They're at 2647 Mall Dr in Gulf Gate. Amazingly they're open 11am till 3am; I guess that's for the bar crowd.

Ricco's, for decent pizza.

There's a nice produce market in that little shopping strip on Gulf Gate Dr, near the GG apts. You can get the basic kinds of friuts and veggies at some of the best prices in the area.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:20 PM

67 posts, read 159,483 times
You have to try Monks for steamers and monkafellers. YUM!!!!!

Old 03-02-2012, 03:08 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,548,914 times
Here is a link to Gulf Gate Restaurants. It gives a link to each restaurant with a picture, a map and some of them have comments.
Gulf Gate Sarasota Florida Restaurants

Old 03-02-2012, 10:07 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccright View Post
You have to try Monks for steamers and monkafellers. YUM!!!!!
Monk's rules; try the oysters monkafeller!!

Old 03-02-2012, 11:53 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,344,825 times
Paris To Budapest is a nice little place and the owner/operator is a real sweetie. There are great coupons in the Entertainment book, and she also does daily specials.

Vizen (VIZEN Japanese Cuisine | Japanese Restaurant Sarasota, Florida) is hands-down, far and away the best sushi in Sarasota. It's a small miracle, that place.

The French Affair is another great little unassuming restaurant. The chef will come out and talk to you, and he really knows how to do country French cuisine. Love it. Excellent coupons at Sarasota Sally.com AND the Entertainment book. Get the cassoulet.

Rico's definitely has a nice thin-crust pizza.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:59 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
I love Monks but wouldn't call it a restaurant. More like a smokey bar with very good oysters and shrimp

Ooh La La is a very good French Bakery.

All the pizza in Gulf Gate seems to be good. We often get Pontillos.

Maks is some of the best Chinese I've eaten. No buffett.

The sushi place, Vizen, is supposed to be some of the best sushi in Sarasota. I haven't eaten there but people rave about it.

Munchies 421 is great if you smoke a lot of pot.

The Greek place on the corner of Mall Drive has excellent gyros.

The other bakery at the very end of Gulf Gate Drive before the neighborhood is excellent but not a restaurant.

We live in Gulf Gate and spend a lot of time there so if you can think of one in particular, I'd be happy to give you my impressions.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:22 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,344,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I love Monks but wouldn't call it a restaurant. More like a smokey bar with very good oysters and shrimp

Ooh La La is a very good French Bakery.

All the pizza in Gulf Gate seems to be good. We often get Pontillos.

Maks is some of the best Chinese I've eaten. No buffett.

The sushi place, Vizen, is supposed to be some of the best sushi in Sarasota. I haven't eaten there but people rave about it.

Munchies 421 is great if you smoke a lot of pot.

The Greek place on the corner of Mall Drive has excellent gyros.

The other bakery at the very end of Gulf Gate Drive before the neighborhood is excellent but not a restaurant.

We live in Gulf Gate and spend a lot of time there so if you can think of one in particular, I'd be happy to give you my impressions.
As unlikely as it is, if it turns out you're right and Mak's is excellent Chinese food, I am going to track you down and plant a big wet one on ya. When you say "no buffet," you get instant credibility with me.

Go to Vizen if you get a chance. It's a little pricier, and you need to be "smart casual," but holee molee you'll know why when the appetizers show up. He puts a refined spin on absolutely everything he serves, and it's not just for show. It really is fantastic.

As for Munchees, I must say, we do not smoke the sticky icky, and their stuff is WAY too heavy for non-stoned folks to consume.

Monk's looks like someplace we'll want to go. I gather it is a bar, though, which is an issue if you have a ten-month old.

I really do like Gulf Gate. I think it is overlooked as a fine option in Sarasota. The location is awesome, and all of these restaurants and bars make for a pretty cool vibe. I know some of them have been struggling, so it would be great to see more people hanging out in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area