Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 11:03 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,344,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
It's not costing them ANY business. They are plenty busy. And the name is a throwback to surfer culture and has nothing to do with the "urban dictionary."

But having said that, Rushmore, I don't think this is your kind of place. It is "bar food" period. Tasty bar food, but not foodie food. It's two blocks away from my house and we do not go there. There is no good wine to be had either, they have only some kind of awful house wine which is undrinkable. I am glad they are doing well.
Just for the record, I love "tasty bar food." When I am finally sent to death row (transgression pending), I might well order a giant pile of spicy wings (all flats, crispy, bleu cheese, please) and magnificent steak fries.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 06:02 AM

913 posts, read 2,362,228 times
I'm with Rushmore on the name. Not really the name of a family place, huh? I don't see me taking my 12 year old daughter to this place.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:42 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davery5872 View Post
I'm with Rushmore on the name. Not really the name of a family place, huh? I don't see me taking my 12 year old daughter to this place.
I'm sure they won't miss you. By the way, there are several restaurants in the US with the same name. It is a very family friendly place, they even let you use the pool there, and dogs are welcome. It's your loss.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:24 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,105,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davery5872 View Post
If we are just talking about the name, it will go right over the heads of those who have never heard that slang.

I laugh all the time about how much sexual content is in songs from the 70s and I didn't even get it until I was in my 40s. Now I ask myself how could I have not understood who Rosie was or what Mama's squeeze box was? I thought they were a girl and an accordion.

Restaurants have crazy names all the times. When you don't know what it means, you dismiss it as nonsense.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:29 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
By the way, I am surprised nobody has mentioned...

It sounds like a great place, and one I would like to try out, but does it not occur to anyone that the vulgar name might be costing them business?

I mean, sorry, but I am not bringing my aged mother to a place called The Bearded Clam.

What if she asks what it means?

Worse yet, what if she already knows?

Yuck.
Rushmore, a bearded clam is a clam with a beard. The beard on the clam is the filter system for the clam. We all are adults and understand the double entendre but you are the one that pointed out the vulgar definition.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:37 PM

913 posts, read 2,362,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I'm sure they won't miss you. By the way, there are several restaurants in the US with the same name. It is a very family friendly place, they even let you use the pool there, and dogs are welcome. It's your loss.
I'm sure they won't miss me as I have never been there.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:25 PM

7 posts, read 13,913 times
We were there to watch the Super Bowl and had a great time. The food and the service was really good. Don't get bent out of shape on its name as at the end of the day it's just a restaurant/bar nothing more nothing less.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:10 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,344,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Rushmore, a bearded clam is a clam with a beard. The beard on the clam is the filter system for the clam. We all are adults and understand the double entendre but you are the one that pointed out the vulgar definition.
I grew up digging clams, shucking them, and eating them by the hundreds. I realize what the beard on a clam is.

I pointed it out because the vulgar connotation is right there and is clearly the only reason to choose such a name.

Unless you believe there was a short list of options for them, and "Bearded Clam" won out over "Hydrothermally Vented Mussels" and of course "The Prawn's Swimmerets."

Jeez. So if nobody points it out, it does not exist? I am simply saying, as you are, that it is a vulgarity.

Personally, I really do not care. It was an academic question. I would eat there if it were called The ______ ________ (insert worst imaginable vulgarity); I simply would not bring my children or aged parents or any high brow business associates.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:32 AM

490 posts, read 624,215 times
Some things are best eaten at home.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:52 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,679,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Burnett View Post
Some things are best eaten at home.
LMAO- thank you for making this silly thread finally worth reading
(waiting for someone to be "totally offended" though)

In all seriousness, let's file this under - it's not a big deal unless you MAKE it a big deal.

The website explains the name in detail, which dates back decades. Way before the urban dictionary existed I believe....

I would go there with my kids & family without issue. And if I sat there & explained what the urban dictionary says it is (sans children), my family (including my 67 year old parents) would laugh & love it even more. Yes, we are a low brow crew from the midwest- & I love them dearly for it.

Last edited by PixiStix; 02-10-2014 at 10:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area