Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 05:41 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
I now have a pair of beagles behind me, they howl at night. I can never catch the neighbor to
have a conversation about it...I wonder tho...how the heck do they sleep?
I often wonder exactly the same thing. Most of the time, the dogs I hear bark when the owners aren't home, but I've also lived in neighborhoods where dogs are left outside all night, and the owners sleep right through all of the barking and howling.

Today I finally asked my next door neighbors politely not to leave their dog on the screened lanai when they leave at 6AM. They're retired and work out at the YMCA very early in the morning. For months I've tolerated the barking. Then they began dog-sitting for a friend's puppy which made things a lot worse. The first time I mentioned it, they took in the puppy. When she asked which dog was making the noise, I really didn't know what to say, since both of them bark continuously throughout the day. I thought that might resolve the problem, but I was wrong. Yesterday they must have left later in the morning, because she didn't start barking until 9, but she was still barking and whining when I got home at 5:30. Today (Thanksgiving) I couldn't handle all the barking and whining, so I spoke up and my neighbor acted very surprised. The dog only carries on when they're not home (must have separation anxiety) so I don't know how to prove it unless I make a video. I often walk over to the screen and talk to her and she calms down, but that doesn't last for long.

I hate confrontations and rarely complain to neighbors. I probably should have filed a complaint with the HOA instead, but I always feel it is best to resolve problems face to face in an amicable manner.

Just last week I asked these same neighbors to turn down their stereo. It's hard to believe, but even in a separate building I am feeling the vibrations from his music. He told me he turned up the woofer to get more bass. I only know that at times it sounds & feels as if a motorcycle is revving up outside my bedroom window. Again, the same way I don't understand how people can tolerate barking dogs and sleep through all the noise, I can't imagine sitting in a home with loud speakers blasting.

Funny, isn't it? We're discussing barking dogs and I just mentioned that a loud woofer is disturbing me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 06:57 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,621,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I often wonder exactly the same thing. Most of the time, the dogs I hear bark when the owners aren't home, but I've also lived in neighborhoods where dogs are left outside all night, and the owners sleep right through all of the barking and howling.

Today I finally asked my next door neighbors politely not to leave their dog on the screened lanai when they leave at 6AM. They're retired and work out at the YMCA very early in the morning. For months I've tolerated the barking. Then they began dog-sitting for a friend's puppy which made things a lot worse. The first time I mentioned it, they took in the puppy. When she asked which dog was making the noise, I really didn't know what to say, since both of them bark continuously throughout the day. I thought that might resolve the problem, but I was wrong. Yesterday they must have left later in the morning, because she didn't start barking until 9, but she was still barking and whining when I got home at 5:30. Today (Thanksgiving) I couldn't handle all the barking and whining, so I spoke up and my neighbor acted very surprised. The dog only carries on when they're not home (must have separation anxiety) so I don't know how to prove it unless I make a video. I often walk over to the screen and talk to her and she calms down, but that doesn't last for long.

I hate confrontations and rarely complain to neighbors. I probably should have filed a complaint with the HOA instead, but I always feel it is best to resolve problems face to face in an amicable manner.

Just last week I asked these same neighbors to turn down their stereo. It's hard to believe, but even in a separate building I am feeling the vibrations from his music. He told me he turned up the woofer to get more bass. I only know that at times it sounds & feels as if a motorcycle is revving up outside my bedroom window. Again, the same way I don't understand how people can tolerate barking dogs and sleep through all the noise, I can't imagine sitting in a home with loud speakers blasting.

Funny, isn't it? We're discussing barking dogs and I just mentioned that a loud woofer is disturbing me.
Can you just record the sound...on your phone or something? Or cameras have the video option and that will record sound too. If you haven't used these features your camera and cell phone probably have these and you could get someone to show you how to work them.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:12 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,347,725 times
I think talking to the neighbor directly instead of involving the HOA is a much better choice. The HOA just sends letters that are faceless and emotionless. When you know your bothering someone, and they tell you, it's much easier to fix because you know the person your bugging and its a much more sympathetic resolution. Just my $0.02.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:00 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,105,339 times
Going to the HOA is like ratting on someone to the principal. It doesn't build goodwill. Going to the HOA would not be my first choice.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:05 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,502,785 times
There is no reason a dog should be barking all night. Dogs are pack animals - a dog needs to be with its pack - that is the family - in the home all night with the family. It is cruel to leave a dog alone in a yard or on a chain. People who do this are either dumb or cruel.

I would call the police and not leave my name. People who let their dogs bark all night are not normal.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:33 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,105,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
The dog only carries on when they're not home (must have separation anxiety) so I don't know how to prove it unless I make a video.
Would the dogs know if the owners were at your house? If you invited the neighbors over for coffee, maybe the dogs would bark and they could hear it as you experience it. Let them figure out which dog is barking. (And why does it matter which one?)

I am also thinking if you hate confrontation, they can probably tell that you feel bad bringing it up and they probably think you won't push it. Their "surprise" may be a polite non-confrontational "too bad". My favorite ploy when busted for something is to play dumb. ("You mean dogs bark? You mean my dog actually barks? I have never ever heard my dog bark. Are you sure?) That may be what they are doing. Talking and acting concerned but doing nothing about it.

IMHO you have to feel justified in pushing it and determined to not let this drop. There is no reason anyone should have to live with noise pollution like that.

When you seem bull doggedly determined, they will take you seriously. I would be reporting to them ever day exactly how long their dog barked and would be asking what they are going to do about it. It is worth it to make them a little uncomfortable so that they have a reason to do something to solve this.

Good luck.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:43 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Nancy, Cardiff is on the money; you have to be a bigger pain in the ass to the dog owners than their dogs are to you. I'd go over and bang on their door every night, call them at work every day, confront them at work every day, call the cops, call the dog catchers--whatever it takes. Nothing passive-aggressive either, straight up. What are they gonna do, get angry at you? So what, what should you care?

Old 11-29-2013, 08:48 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Nancy, you have to be a bigger pain in the ass to the dog owners than their dogs are to you. I'd go over and bang on their door every day, call them at work every day, confront them at work every day, call the cops, call the dog catchers--whatever it takes. Nothing passive-aggressive either, straight up. What are they gonna do, get angry at you? So what, what should you care?
I'd get their cell phone numbers and every single time the dog starts barking, call the owners.

I had something similar with a builder in Myrtle Beach (he was building on both sides of me) and EVERY single time they bothered me, using my power, parking in my yard, using my outdoor shower, starting too early, staying too late, I called. I called and called and called and he finally straightened out his crews.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:41 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Thanks to everyone who responded to my post. I didn't meant to hijack the thread, but I wanted to continue the discussion that was already started about barking dogs. Thank goodness the neighbors I mentioned have been much quieter. I can still hear the bass from his stereo or surround sound, but it's better. I've heard some barking, but it quickly stops.

It's the weekend, so I won't know for sure if this problem has been resolved until Monday, but they are keeping the dogs inside most of the time now. They were outside today for a while playing and are so cute together. (I'm talking about the dogs!

I really don't mind if dogs bark once in a while as long as it's not very early (or very late) but the constant barking was driving me crazy. I should have said something sooner.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,200 times
Default Barking Dogs

I live in Parrish,my neighbor has about 5 dogs that bark and fight all night,he does nothing about it ,is there anything I can do..he has 2 chihuahua and 2 big dogs,1 of the chihuahua has mates twice with a shephard and had baby,,,I don't think he cares about them or he would not let this happen,,,,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area