Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2012, 01:46 PM

103 posts, read 381,135 times

Advertisements

To move to SW Florida Has anyone out there had experience with this situation? What did you do? How hard did you try to get them to come around? There are so many ways to look at it .... on the one hand, he's established here in California career-wise. The kids (2 and 4) have all their friends and school and well, everything, here. We have close family here.

On the other hand, my heart just isn't here anymore. Sigh. I love Florida and can't seem to shake the desire to move. It feels like the proverbial rock and a hard place. I've tried for 10 years to fall in love with Cali, and it just isn't happening. IMHO life is too short not to live somewhere you love. Granted, you have to be responsible about it, and not just take off impulsively, especially with kids, but it's not like we'd be moving to Mars! Any advice would be greatly appreciated ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 03:15 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,371,973 times
Step one would be him finding employment here. I don't have a clue of how you can convince someone to move if they really don't want to. The kids shouldn't be a huge concern since they are so young they can make friends anywhere.

My husband lived in CA for 32 years then PA and we moved here to retire. He would NEVER go back to CA, he really hated it there but LOVES it here. I can't repeat here the things he says about CA.

Old 03-18-2012, 04:30 PM

103 posts, read 294,849 times
I hear you loud and clear...I am in a similar situation in Colorado. Really not digging the snow and eratic weather here, but miss the ocean the most! My kids are high school age and not wanting to relocate until at least graduation, but I have been here for 7 years now and never liked it> In my opinion, you should go where your heart calls you---life is too short and location plays a big part in your overall happiness, although the rest of my family disagrees. I am visiting the Sarasota area in 1 week to see if it is what I am looking for and will move with or without them because I have waited long enough. Make a list of what is important to you and if you find it in Florida--I say go for it!!!

Old 03-18-2012, 04:35 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature1 View Post
IMHO life is too short not to live somewhere you love.
Get that through to his head.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:09 PM

547 posts, read 926,307 times
My personal perspective is that a move when everyone is not on board can be difficult at best. Adding to it is the family and friends you would be leaving behind. Not saying it can't be done but...
Knowing what I know now I would have loved to have lived in Norcal, or a few spots in Colorado than here. But then I wouldn't have had the great life and opportunities this area has given me
But with kids and grandkids here the only option for us now are long vacations.
Saying all that, this is a great place to live and raise a family.But you will never love it without being able to afford to live comfortably, and have jobs lined up.
Where in California do you live?

Old 03-18-2012, 06:34 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Start with the job first.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:16 AM

103 posts, read 381,135 times
Thanks, all, for the input. Right now we're in the San Jose area. The Silicon Valley rat race is not my thing and it seems that it's almost inevitable that you get sucked into it if you stay here. It's a culture of long commutes, overscheduled children (think violin lessons, ballet lessons, academic tutoring,etc, and that's just Tuesday! haha) I have to ask "What is the end game?" Yes, it's nice to make a large salary, but when do you have time to enjoy it?

Yes, we would absolutely have a job secured before making a move. Right now it's more about getting to a point of even considering SW Florida.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:26 AM

103 posts, read 294,849 times
never rule any place out before checking it out firsthand. I will give you my impression of Sarasota end of next week after returning from a 1 week trip with my son. Keep in mind that I have never been there and sounds like we may be looking for similar things!

Old 03-19-2012, 10:46 AM

161 posts, read 412,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingWarmth211 View Post
I hear you loud and clear...I am in a similar situation in Colorado. Really not digging the snow and eratic weather here, but miss the ocean the most! My kids are high school age and not wanting to relocate until at least graduation, but I have been here for 7 years now and never liked it> In my opinion, you should go where your heart calls you---life is too short and location plays a big part in your overall happiness, although the rest of my family disagrees. I am visiting the Sarasota area in 1 week to see if it is what I am looking for and will move with or without them because I have waited long enough. Make a list of what is important to you and if you find it in Florida--I say go for it!!!
I am all for people relocating if that's where their heart leads them. I was born & raised in Florida but lived in Ky for over 25 years when my husband decided we needed to move to Florida. So last October we made the plunge. It is what it is, and it is getting easier to actually turn into WalMart instead of getting on I-95 northbound and flooring it back to Ky LOL So long story short, I say go for it....BUT, I have to take your kids side and say I would wait until they graduate. High School is such a wonderful time for kids and so many memories are made with their friends. Changing schools suck at any age but during H.S. would be horrible in my opinion.

Just my 2 cents LOL

Last edited by DodgeGirl78; 03-19-2012 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: Typos and such
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area