Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 07:58 AM

4 posts, read 5,457 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I've been lurking on this post for several months now and it is filled with good information and many different viewpoints. I'll try and lay this out in a non-rambling way so here goes....My wife and I (+ daughters 18/14) live in the metro Detroit area (lifers) and hate it. We both have good jobs but our quality of life is lower and cost of living are high because we are stuck in a bad mortgage situation like many others. We also H-A-T-E winter here. We don't ski or do anything snow/ice related. However, we LOVE warm weather and we love Florida. We have vacationed in various parts of Florida (mostly Orlando) for 14 straight years. Last year we briefly visited Sarasota and Siesta Key and it was love at first sight. We recently returned from our yearly vacation a couple weeks ago. While we were there, we spent a day in Sarasota driving around and looking at neighborhoods. (We are dedicated realtor.com users) We love it even more. We feel our quality of life would be so much better. So basically this is where we are at and our issues (are we crazy???)

1. We think we want Riverview HS (my daughter needs a strong German program...other daughter is off to college)
2. We think we want West of I-75.
3. Not sure on Condo vs. Home
4. Not sure about Palmer Ranch. Looks nice, but coming from stuffy HOA in MI, not sure I want to go thru that again.
5. We are not rich, so money is an issue.
6. Oh yeah, and we both need to find jobs. My wife is a Nurse so her prospects I think are good. For me, complete career change. I am a Chemical Engineer but have no desire to stay on that path. I enjoy all things real estate related, so I think I'll focus my efforts there.

We have a million things swirling in our minds right now. Nobody in MI can understand. It's almost like a calling I guess. It pulls at us. Hard to explain...

Not sure if I have an actual question in this post, but I would appreciate comments both positive and negative. All our assumptions are open for discussion.

Thanks for reading....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 09:16 AM

164 posts, read 355,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspear View Post
Hi everyone,
I've been lurking on this post for several months now and it is filled with good information and many different viewpoints. I'll try and lay this out in a non-rambling way so here goes....My wife and I (+ daughters 18/14) live in the metro Detroit area (lifers) and hate it. We both have good jobs but our quality of life is lower and cost of living are high because we are stuck in a bad mortgage situation like many others. We also H-A-T-E winter here. We don't ski or do anything snow/ice related. However, we LOVE warm weather and we love Florida. We have vacationed in various parts of Florida (mostly Orlando) for 14 straight years. Last year we briefly visited Sarasota and Siesta Key and it was love at first sight. We recently returned from our yearly vacation a couple weeks ago. While we were there, we spent a day in Sarasota driving around and looking at neighborhoods. (We are dedicated realtor.com users) We love it even more. We feel our quality of life would be so much better. So basically this is where we are at and our issues (are we crazy???)

1. We think we want Riverview HS (my daughter needs a strong German program...other daughter is off to college)
4. Not sure about Palmer Ranch. Looks nice, but coming from stuffy HOA in MI, not sure I want to go thru that again.
6. Oh yeah, and we both need to find jobs. My wife is a Nurse so her prospects I think are good. For me, complete career change. I am a Chemical Engineer but have no desire to stay on that path. I enjoy all things real estate related, so I think I'll focus my efforts there.

We have a million things swirling in our minds right now. Nobody in MI can understand. It's almost like a calling I guess. It pulls at us. Hard to explain...

Not sure if I have an actual question in this post, but I would appreciate comments both positive and negative. All our assumptions are open for discussion.

Thanks for reading....
Coming from similar circumstances, I completely understand and am here to offer moral support!

My husband and I live in Toledo (we both grew up in Detroit by the way) but are moving to Parrish in about ten days. Being a very practical/responsible/conservative person, I did a very uncharacteristic thing by deciding to sell my stable business and leave my secure life to move to Florida. We were craving a better quality of life and a need to enjoy life all year round instead of being couped up all winter. It has taken us 2 1/2 years to execute our plan but we are very excited to begin a new chapter in our lives.

Your wife should have little difficulty finding employment in her field. So, if you are able to work out the logistics involved with the move, I say GO FOR IT...life is too short!

I am here to cheer you on if you need it!

Old 04-17-2012, 09:27 AM

17,504 posts, read 38,989,711 times
The two biggest concerns here as I see it are that 1) you are stuck in a "bad mortgage" situation and 2) need jobs here.

What are you planning to do about the mortgage situation? Do you mean you would need to sell first? Could you afford to move without selling? There are all price ranges here but this could be a real issue.

The job thing may or may not be as critical since your wife will probably secure employment easily. Can you live on just one salary for awhile?

Since you didn't really ask a question, not sure what else to tell you except this is a wonderful place to live, we have a very high quality of life here. Good luck!

Old 04-17-2012, 09:38 AM

419 posts, read 905,304 times
I think if I lived in metro Detroit, I would do anything to move to Florida....can't blame you at all.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:45 AM

153 posts, read 287,465 times
Get out while you still have your health. Just moved here from Chicago's SW side (born & raised there) 1 year ago and have no plans of going back. I think Detroit is worse than Chicago and probably will never be turned around. It's a filthy place.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:55 PM

398 posts, read 820,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue in Ohio View Post
Coming from similar circumstances, I completely understand and am here to offer moral support!

My husband and I live in Toledo (we both grew up in Detroit by the way) but are moving to Parrish in about ten days. Being a very practical/responsible/conservative person, I did a very uncharacteristic thing by deciding to sell my stable business and leave my secure life to move to Florida. We were craving a better quality of life and a need to enjoy life all year round instead of being couped up all winter. It has taken us 2 1/2 years to execute our plan but we are very excited to begin a new chapter in our lives.

Your wife should have little difficulty finding employment in her field. So, if you are able to work out the logistics involved with the move, I say GO FOR IT...life is too short!

I am here to cheer you on if you need it!
Great post & advice Sue. Tell Randy to give in & come back to CD, he is missed

Old 04-17-2012, 01:07 PM

4,592 posts, read 7,481,299 times
We took a leap of faith and moved from the midwest to Sarasota in the early 80s, I have never regretted the move.

Your wife, as an RN, will need to check into FL licensing. The state has a site but this site is more user friendly for preliminary info:
Florida Nursing License (FL) | Nursing in Florida | Nursing License Map

I've never visited Detroit but I have watched the show Parking Wars, which films in Detroit. I can understand your preference for sunny Sarasota and it's beautiful beaches.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:30 PM

103 posts, read 380,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspear View Post
Hi everyone,

Thanks for reading....
Not sure if I have much specific advice but I surely feel where your'e coming from. One thing ( a HUGE thing) you guys have going for you is that you're all on board with the move. There's no arm twisting of spouses Yes, Florida really is awesome. Especially if your kids are ok with it and you can swing it financially, just go for it. And don't stand around waiting for the MI people to finally understand and give you their blessing. Ain't gonna happen. For one, they will miss you, and simply don't want you to go. Understandable. Two, they are invested in the idea of the greatness of MI. Maybe it's great for them, but not for your family. I wish you all the best. Be strong and brave and remember that moving is a big deal (and a significant stressor) but it can be done with planning and persistance!

Old 04-17-2012, 04:58 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,055,515 times
Aside from all the excellent advice you've received, I just wanted to add that when my husband and I moved here (he was transferred), I didn't bother looking for a position in my field (hospitality management), I picked up a bartending job.

I make more money than I did before and my quality of life is amazing.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is to not rule anything out.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:38 PM

164 posts, read 355,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSnowbirds View Post
Great post & advice Sue. Tell Randy to give in & come back to CD, he is missed
Thank you! And I will tell him...I think he just got frustrated with the craziness going on here a few weeks ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area