Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 02:07 PM

205 posts, read 480,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwideweberdesign View Post
I apologize because I know this is going to be long, but I saw that people got angry if you didn't combine your questions, so I'm putting them all in one post.

My family and I are looking to move somewhere on the Gulf Coast between Tampa and Fort Myers. We are planning an exploration trip for the last week of May/1st week of June. I'm hoping some of the local residents can give me some feedback.

We currently live in Lakeland, TN, a suburb of Memphis. My husband is a FedEx pilot and I'm a graphic designer. I have a design business that I run from home with clients all over the US and my husband can commute. So we don't have to find jobs jobs to relocate

After four years in Memphis I just have had enough. We bought our dream house here, in the "best" school district, but unfortunately you still have to leave the compound and deal with Memphis crime, prejudice and everything else.

For my husband's commute to work we want to be within an 1 1/2 hours of either Fort Myers or Tampa Airports.

We are considering Tampa, Sarasota & Cape Coral but are open to suggestions. Sarasota is high on our list because one of the pilots my husband flies with moved there and loves it. He told us that he did all the research and it's the best option.

We realize that we will have to downsize. Houses are big and affordable here...I think because no one wants to live here. We live in a 4600 sq ft. 5 bed 4.5 bath house. From what I've seen of Sarasota, it looks like we will likely get something half the size for the same price.

Schools are a big consideration. Currently my daughter goes to a school that is rated 10 on GreatSchools.org. It's in our neighborhood and has very good parental involvement. She's in 3rd grade and reading on an 8th grade level. This school here has a gifted program called Apex, and I'm hoping for a school there that will also challenge her. I've heard that Sarasota has the best schools. Even one for gifted kids. However I've also heard that Sarasota's schools are good compared to FL, not compared to other places.

My daughter is on a competitive soccer team and we heard that Florida is a great state for soccer. Is there a league in Sarasota that is better than others?

I realize I'm moving to Florida, and there are a lot of retirees, but I'd really like to have at least some neighbors that are around my age and kids for my daughter to play with. Is Sarasota that place? Are there specific neighborhoods to focus on? My husband is 40, I'm 37 and my daughter is 9. Nothing against retirees either. I just want some people my age around.

Crime is a big deal. Sarasota seems to have a low crime rate, and that's another check in it's favor. Tampa really concerns me. I feel safe where I live right now, but not safe when I venture out of my neighborhood. Is my daughter safe to play in her own backyard?

What do you think we should see in Sarasota while we are visiting? Is there any specific area that we should focus on? I'm hoping to contact a realtor to at least see a few houses to get a feel for how much we will actually be downsizing even though we aren't going to buy this trip. We will have to buy a cheaper house than we are in currently because my husband will not have as much an opportunity to work his schedule to max his pay while commuting. We will probably not go above $350-400k this time around. I'm concerned because Sarasota's market seems pricier. I'm actually really handy and can do a fixer, but if I do I want to have money left in the budget to pay for it. What are the building codes like? Do I have to get a permit for minor changes there like you do in Cape Coral?

Any input would be appreciated. I am going primarily to look at real estate but I will have a nine year old to keep happy too. Anything fun to do? Besides the beach of course. Yet another huge plus for Sarasota.

Thanks so much for your help. I'm going to be posting similar posts in Cape Coral and Tampa too.

I hear yea on the big house thing, We left Ft lauderdale to move to Tx and go the big house and its not all what its cracked up to be. We have to drive far for everything and there is nothing to do here.

we are looking to move to Lakewood Ranch in the summer. We also looked into Tampa and liked Welsely Chapel, orange park and a couple surounding cities there but found Tampa to be busy and far from the water. I have a friend who lives there and loves it. We have visited several times and like it. I would take your daughter to the clearwater aquarium. Thats where dolphin tale was filmed. My 8yr old has been asking to go there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 09:16 PM

10 posts, read 19,165 times
Well we made the trip out to the Gulf Coast and it looks like the Sarasota area won! I liked it the best for a lot of reasons, beaches, the arts, the schools, and finally the fact that we actually have friends that already live there. I wish I could pick up and move there immediately, but we've got a house to sell.

Anyway, it's interesting to note that I posted in three forums for three different areas that we were visiting and I got far more people who responded to the Sarasota thread. It seems to me that the people that live in Sarasota love it.

We still have to make some decisions about what area. Our friends live in Lakewood Ranch and absolutely love it, but there is a good chance that my daughter would do better in the gifted school, simply because she is currently in a gifted program here. I did like some areas of Lakewood Ranch, and they have a competitive soccer team. There is a lot to be said for convenience. However I just don't know enough about the schools there. I've heard they are good, but they were already out for the summer when we visited.

We told our family of our plans to move, and we've already been informed to expect company! It's funny, I couldn't pay some of those people to come stay with us in Memphis, but they are all about coming to Sarasota.

I appreciate all the input advice that you've given me. We haven't met with a realtor yet to look at houses, simply because I didn't want to waste their time when we need to sell so we can buy down there and the houses that are for sale now probably won't be when we move. Our friends did show us around, but they were all sold on Lakewood Ranch. I'm not sure if I got an unbiased opinion there

Old 06-26-2012, 07:23 AM

17,504 posts, read 38,989,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwideweberdesign View Post
Well we made the trip out to the Gulf Coast and it looks like the Sarasota area won! I liked it the best for a lot of reasons, beaches, the arts, the schools, and finally the fact that we actually have friends that already live there. I wish I could pick up and move there immediately, but we've got a house to sell.

Anyway, it's interesting to note that I posted in three forums for three different areas that we were visiting and I got far more people who responded to the Sarasota thread. It seems to me that the people that live in Sarasota love it.

We still have to make some decisions about what area. Our friends live in Lakewood Ranch and absolutely love it, but there is a good chance that my daughter would do better in the gifted school, simply because she is currently in a gifted program here. I did like some areas of Lakewood Ranch, and they have a competitive soccer team. There is a lot to be said for convenience. However I just don't know enough about the schools there. I've heard they are good, but they were already out for the summer when we visited.

We told our family of our plans to move, and we've already been informed to expect company! It's funny, I couldn't pay some of those people to come stay with us in Memphis, but they are all about coming to Sarasota.

I appreciate all the input advice that you've given me. We haven't met with a realtor yet to look at houses, simply because I didn't want to waste their time when we need to sell so we can buy down there and the houses that are for sale now probably won't be when we move. Our friends did show us around, but they were all sold on Lakewood Ranch. I'm not sure if I got an unbiased opinion there
Congratulations on making a wise decision - this is a fantastic place to live, work, play, raise a family, vacation, go to school or retire. You will enjoy house hunting when the time comes. Thanks for updating us!

Old 06-26-2012, 09:15 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,251,474 times
I would suggest Sarasota for one reason: Pine View School

Our daughter was recently labeled as profoundly gifted, public schools are sufficient, but not doing anything impressive. We don't live In Sarasota County though and cannot send her to Pine View. Here is a link. If I had known about this previously, we would have moved closer to Pine View. It is also a K-12 school : ). You have the advantage, I would use it!

Pine View School | Ranked Tops in US

Old 06-26-2012, 11:17 AM

5,586 posts, read 8,377,672 times
"Profoundly" gifted! Wow! I guess "super-gifted" wouldn't have sounded right....but profoundly-gifted sounds like such a huge burden for a kid to live up to.....<sigh>....I'm so old-school, I think it was just called "advanced placement" back when my kid went to school.

Anyway, congrats to the OP for your decision to move to Sarasota! I am part-time in NW Bradenton and love the whole area! Tne thing I was curious about is the distance to the airports your husband wants to use, but I guess Sarasota-TPA would be maybe an hour'ish?

Old 06-26-2012, 11:53 AM

10 posts, read 19,165 times
My husband actually drove to the Tampa airport from Siesta Key and it took about 50 minutes. The thing about his job is that it's almost all night flying, which means that he is driving to the airport at 1AM or so. Not much traffic to deal with. It took us about 1:30 to get to Fort Myers, so Sarasota is almost in the middle of the two airports. Sometimes when FedEx needs someone to fly a flight out of Tampa or somewhere they will hire a limo service to take them there too. It's faster then having to fly someone in from Memphis. When we lived in Cincinnati, he would get a limo a few times a month to Indianapolis to fly flights from there. When they use a limo service, it gives him some extra time to nap and be ready to fly all night.

As far as Pine View school goes, my concerns are about getting her in. She's in Apex which is our schools gifted program.But it looks like she would have to go to another school in Sarasota and then have them recommend her for Pine View. I really wanted to transition easier than that, not have to switch schools once again after we move there. It will make it difficult to figure out where to move, etc. I don't mind paying for the IQ tests, but the website said that the referral had to come from another school in Sarasota. Anyone have experience with this?

Old 06-26-2012, 01:54 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,873,694 times
Sarasota county has one of the best school systems in the state of Florida. It also has Pine View School for the Gifted, which was ranked the top school in Florida and one of the top schools in the Nation. It is a public school and the requirements are that you live in Sarasota county, have an IQ of 130 or more, pass the achievement tests required and have teacher recommendations. I have a child who graduated from Pine View and one who went there from 2nd-7th grades. It's a great school but it's not for every kid. It services grades 2nd-12th. If you have any questions about the school I'm sure I can answer them. Here's some more info on that subject:
Welcome to Pine View School
Pine View School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Public Elites - Newsweek.com
Pine View wraps up perfect Olympics | HeraldTribune.com | Sarasota Florida | Southwest Florida's Information Leader
America's Best High Schools: Gold Medal List - US News and World Report

There are many other fantastic schools in Sarasota and Manatee county's Here's a website where you can see how the schools are rated:
School Accountability Report...
or www.GreatSchools.com

Here are the school districts by zone: http://www.sarasotacountyschools.net...lrp/zones.aspx

Southside services most of the downtown area south of Main St. North of Main would be mostly Booker school district. The Palmer Ranch area is mostly Ashton school district. There are other schools in the area but these are ones that I have either had personal experience with or I have friends that have kids in the schools.

Sarasota ranks as one of the top districts in the state by a number of measures, including test scores, graduation rates and teacher compensation.

It offers distinctive programs tailored to different student needs, including Florida's only school for the gifted, the state's largest special needs school and one of a handful of career-focused high schools.

Alright, if I were checking out schools other than Pine View these are the schools that I would look into, in order. This is also the order they fall in if you look at the stats on the state of FL.

I'll throw some zip codes in as well to use for a general guideline but make sure you double check them with the map provided and the local school board as the map/zip codes may change slightly if they add a new school.

I'm going to also include a few neighborhoods within each zip code. Keep in mind that there are many other communities in each zip code worth checking out. I'm just trying to give you a starting point. Also if the community is very large it might encompass two or three different schools.

Please use this website when searching for properties: www.myfloridahomesmls.com It's the most up to date website.

Sarasota County Schools

For Elementary
Southside Elementary (34228, 34236, 34239, 34242)
Most of the downtown Sarasota condos, the condos/homes on the south end of Longboat Key, Bay Isles, Bird Key, Bungalow Hill, Cherokee Park, County Club Shores, Granada, Harbor Acres, Lido Key, McClellan Park, Poinsettia Park, St Armand's, some of Southgate.

Venice Elementary (34285, 34292, 34293)
The island of Venice, Bellagio on Venice Island, Lakes of Jacaranda, Pinebrook, South Venice, Venice Acres

Ashton Elementary (34233, 34238)-The Palmer Ranch communities(Arielle, Botanica, The Hamptons, Turtle Rock, Serenade, Stonebridge, Village Walk, Wellington Chase), Center Gate Estates, Colonial Oaks, Emerald Gardens, Grove Point, Three Oaks

Cranberry Elementary (North Port)
-(34286, a certain section)

Taylor Ranch (southern Sarasota county)-(34292, 34293)-Governors Green, Gulf View Estates, Blue Heron Pond, Lakes of Jacaranda, Myakka River Trails, Park Estates, Pelican Pointe Golf & County Club, The Plantation, Pennington Place, South Venice, Stoneybrook at Venice, Venice Golf & County Club, Southwood, Woodmere Lakes

Lakeview Elementary (34241)-Bent Tree, Country Creek, East Lake, Forest at Hi Hat Ranch, Founders Club, Foxfire, Gator Creek, Heritage Oaks Golf & Country Club, Lake Sarasota, Misty Creek, Myakka Valley Ranches, Preserve at Heron Lake, Red Hawk Reserve, Saddle Creek, Secluded Oaks, Serenoa, Trillium, Tuscana

Gulf Gate Elementary (34231, 34238)-Palmer Ranch communities-(Country Club of Sarasota, Deer Creek, Prestancia,
Marabella, Mira Lago, Palisades), Beneva Oaks, Coral Cove, Gulf Gate, Southpointe Shores,

Laurel Nokomis Elementary (mid Sarasota county)-(34229, 34275)-Bay Point, Calusa Lakes, Casey Key, Huntington Pointe, Isles of Sarasota, Laurel Pines, Laurel Woodlands, Mission Valley Estates, The Oaks, Park Trace Estates, Rivendell, Sawgrass, Shakett Creek, Silver Oak, Sorrento East, Sorrento Shores, Sorrento South, Sorrento Woods, South Creek, Southbay Yacht & Racquet Club, Stoneybrook at Palmer Ranch, Venetian Golf & River Club, Waterfront Estates, Willow Chase, Willowbend, Willowbrook

Tatum Ridge Elementary (34240)
-Barton Farms, Colonial Oaks, Deer Hammock, Founders Club, The Hammocks, Laurel Lakes, Laurel Meadows, Laurel Oak Estates, Oak Ford Golf Club, The Paddocks, Palmer Farms, Palmer Glen, Sarasota Golf Club, Sarasota Polo Club, Shadow Oaks, Summerwood, Tatum Ridge, Villages at Pine Tree-(Marsh, Ponderosa, Spruce Pine)
Garden Elementary(34285, 34292, 34293)

Phillipi Shores(34231, 34242)-Aqualane Estates, Bay Island, Florence, Hansens, Harmony, Hidden Harbor, The Landings, Mira Mar, much of Siesta Key, Oyster Bay Estates, Phillipi Cove, Philipi Gardens, Pine Shores, Point Crisp, Princess Gate, Ridge Wood, Sanderling Club, Sandy Hook, Sarasota Beach, Siesta Cove, Siesta Estates, Siesta Isles, Siesta Bayside, Tortoise Estates

Fruitville Elementary(34232)-Hidden Oaks, Nottingham, Sherwood Estates, Sherwood Forest, Woodland Park

Englewood Elementary (southern Sarasota county)(34223)-Artist Acres, Bay Vista, Boca Royale, Deer Creek, Eden Harbor, Englewood Farm Acres, Englewood Gardens, Englewood Isles, Englewood Pines, Manasota Gardens, Manasota Key, Overbrook Gardens, Stillwater

For Middle
Sarasota Middle (34231-34242)

High School
Riverview(34231-34242)

Manatee county Schools

Elementary Schools
Robert Willis Elementary(34201, 34202)-Carlyle at the Villages of Palm Aire, Country Club East at Lakewood Ranch, Edgewater Village, Lake Club, Lakewood Ranch, Lakewood Ranch Country Club, Long Pond at Mote Ranch, Mote Ranch, Panther Ridge, Preserve at Panther Ridge, River Park at Mote Ranch, Riverwalk Ridge Cypress Banks, University Park

Gene Witt Elementary(34212)-Country Creek, Country Meadows, Foxbrook, Greyhawk Landing, Hidden Oaks, Mill Creek, Rye Wilderness,

Gilbert W McNeal Elementary(34202)-Concession, Greenbrook Village, Lakewood Ranch, Summerfield Village

Braden River Elementary(34202, 34211)-Braden Pines, Braden Woods, Oakbrooke at River Club, River Club North & South, Rosedale, Summerfield Village

BD Gullett Elementary(34211, 34212)-Central Park at Lakewood Ranch, Greyhawk Landing, Panther Ridge

Ida M Stewart Elementary(34209)-Perico Isles, Pinehurst, Riverview Landings, Shaws Point, Wisteria Park, Woodlands Park on Palma Sola Bay

Anna Maria Elementary(34216, 34217, 34228)-Anna Maria Island, Bay Palms, Bimini Bay Estates, Cortez, Emerald Harbor, Holmes Beach, Ilexhurst, Key Royale, Long Beach, Longboat Key, Shore Acres, Sleepy Lagoon, Wells Bay Harbor

Virgil Mills Elementary(34219, 34221, 34222)-Ancient Oaks, Copperstone, Covered Bridge, Fairways at Imperial Lakewoods, Fosters Creek, Heather Glen, Kingsfield Lakes, Lexington, Waterford, Whitney Meadows, Woodlawn Lakes

Kinnan Elementary(34243)-Carlyle at the Villages of Palm Aire, Country Oaks, Desoto Lakes Country Club, Glenbrooke, Mote Ranch, Palm Aire, Palm Lakes, Quail Run, University Groves, Rio Mar, Trails, Treymore at Village of Palm Aire, Vintage Creek

Freedom Elementary(34212)-Gates Creek, Greenfield Plantation, Heritage Harbour, Lighthouse Cove at Heritage Harbor, Old Grove at Greenfield, Planters Manor at Greenfield, River Strand, Stoneybrook at Heritage Harbor, Waterlefe Golf & River Club

Tara Elementary(34212)-Barrington Ridge, Braden Crossing, Creekwood, Manatee Oaks, Mandalay, River Landings Bluffs, River Place, Rivers Edge, Silver Lake, Tailfeather Way at Tara, Tara, Tara Preserve, Wallingford, Water Oak

Middle School
Carlos E Halie Middle(34208-34212)

Braden River Middle(32401-34243)

Nolan Middle(34202, 34211, 34251)

King Middle(34209, 34216, 34217, 34228)

High School
Lakewood Ranch High(34202, 34211, 34212, 34251)

Manatee High(34205-34209, 34216, 34217, 34228)

Alternative School
Manatee School for Arts and Sciences

Old 06-26-2012, 04:39 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,053,397 times
I think if your kid is already bright and eager to learn, I wouldn't put so much emphasis on buying a house in a certain school district in Sarasota.

After all, your kid will be out of that school in a couple of years and mom and dad still have to live in the house.

A bright kid will get into a good college even with the most challenging school situation with the right foundation from mom and dad.

Good luck on your house hunt and welcome to Sarasota!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area