Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 02:34 PM

8,037 posts, read 4,631,899 times

Advertisements

Please drive appropriately for the weather conditions. This means generally going slower and leaving more distance from the car in front of you (when it's raining). I'd be willing to bet the majority of these crashes were the result of people not driving appropriately for the road/weather conditions.

Rainy season arrives early; thunderstorms, heavy rain on way | HeraldTribune.com (click for full article)

"Numerous crashes have clogged area roadways this morning as drivers try to cope with heavy rains rolling across southwest Florida.

The Florida Highway Patrol reported no less than 10 vehicle accidents in Manatee County alone in a half-hour span from roughly 7 a.m. to 7:30 a.m. today, as the brunt of the storms moved through the county. A string of seven accidents snarled traffic on I-75 in Manatee between 7 a.m. and 8 a.m, according to FHP."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 02:57 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,677,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
Please drive appropriately for the weather conditions. This means generally going slower and leaving more distance from the car in front of you (when it's raining). I'd be willing to bet the majority of these crashes were the result of people not driving appropriately for the road/weather conditions.

Rainy season arrives early; thunderstorms, heavy rain on way | HeraldTribune.com (click for full article)

"Numerous crashes have clogged area roadways this morning as drivers try to cope with heavy rains rolling across southwest Florida.

The Florida Highway Patrol reported no less than 10 vehicle accidents in Manatee County alone in a half-hour span from roughly 7 a.m. to 7:30 a.m. today, as the brunt of the storms moved through the county. A string of seven accidents snarled traffic on I-75 in Manatee between 7 a.m. and 8 a.m, according to FHP."
Yes, as I sat for an hour an and a half in stopped traffic due to an accident on I-75 yesterday, I repeatedly said to myself "I wish people could learn how to drive in the rain"... this mixed with a few other selected words But I assume there were others having a much worse day than I...

Old 06-07-2012, 03:44 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,198,652 times
Its hard to drive in rain on 'bald tires.'

Why don't people put decent tires on their cars. I see them skidding and sliding on the wet roads.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:22 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,343,318 times
It's amazing to me that people cannot understand the physics involved as it regards driving on a wet surface.

It gives me an amazing feeling of superiority.

Until, of course, that feeling goes away when I have to try to draw something, because I don't draw very well.

But at least bad drawings don't kill people.

See what I mean?

Old 10-06-2012, 11:56 PM

I swear so many idiot drivers in Sarasota. The "slow granny" drivers don't bother me - but it's always rush, rush, rush - tailgaiting - the impatient "Type A" personalities that weave in and out and don't leave enough space between cars. Those drivers are the MOST dangerous and cause the most accidents... I moved from St. Louis and I definitely think there are more of the impatient & imprudent drivers in Sarasota. Not sure why.....

Now there has been a 47 car pile-up on I-75!

In I-75 crashes, wall of water was sudden | HeraldTribune.com

"SARASOTA COUNTY - Drivers zooming along Interstate 75 plunged into a wall of water on Friday, a sudden torrent of rain that contributed to a 47-car crash."

Freakin' idiots -

Relax and slowdown................

Last edited by wondermint2; 10-07-2012 at 12:37 AM..

Old 10-07-2012, 12:47 AM

Charges are pending in Friday’s 50-car pile-up on I-75, but it could be a week before any are filed as investigators sort out what happened | HeraldTribune.com

"Lt. Chris Miller of the Florida Highway Patrol said on Saturday that many of the accidents were caused by people driving too fast for the conditions, following the cars in front of them too closely or not paying attention to the situation in front of them."

OMG check out these pictures of the pile-up:

http://www.skweezer.com/s.aspx/-/gal...aspx?id=356098

Last edited by wondermint2; 10-07-2012 at 01:35 AM..

Old 10-07-2012, 05:07 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,343,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
Charges are pending in Friday’s 50-car pile-up on I-75, but it could be a week before any are filed as investigators sort out what happened | HeraldTribune.com

"Lt. Chris Miller of the Florida Highway Patrol said on Saturday that many of the accidents were caused by people driving too fast for the conditions, following the cars in front of them too closely or not paying attention to the situation in front of them."

OMG check out these pictures of the pile-up:

Massive Accident Closes Southbound I-75 | Photo Galleries |...
My wife got caught right in the middle of that nightmare, and said there were cars and trucks just whizzing past her sideways, smashing into each other, and flipping. Ours was the ONLY car in view that had not been touched in any way whatsoever. All around her was just carnage (so to speak).

She is still shaken up. She's a nurse, and the EMT's asked her to help triage, and she said some of the injuries she saw were just horrifying.

For the life of me I cannot figure out why people are too dumb to slow down when the weather warrants it.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:09 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,141,072 times
there is no justification for agressive driving but one reason i see that prompts it over and over is the old guys that get side by side and will not let anyone pass. one could chalk this up to coincidence as in they dont realize that they are doing it but i say they absolutely know the game they are playing. they have cars stacked up behind them like a nascar pace car and then when one finally breaks off its like the green flag just got waved.

another issue is the condition of the tires. since there is no snow down here there is no incentive to replace them. also there is no inspection. it is common to see the steel belts sticking out on alot of tires

Old 10-07-2012, 07:53 AM

462 posts, read 1,706,836 times
Yeah, speaking of the idiot who has to ride your bumper at 80 mph trying to nudge you off the road, I had an incident of just that on a road trip driving on I-95 from the NE back to SRQ a few weeks ago. I was in Georgia and although the speed limit is 70, no one drives that slow. I had a very agressive driver bumper riding me and I was trying to get past the cars to my right so I could pull in front of them and get out of this idiot's way, and just as I was pulling to the right in front of the pack of cars, this guy started to pass me and just at that moment, noticed a cop car on the median to the left and suddenly slowed down. Just then I look up to see the flashing lights coming after ME and pulling ME over! I was astonished and told the cop, why didn't you pull that guy over, he was the one pushing me off the road and driving dangerously. He said he didn't see all that but did believe me and gave me a warning. I was so shaken by that driver as he was really scaring me being so close on my bumper at 80 mph! People are just plain crazy and then I'm the one who gets pulled over. Go figure!

Old 10-07-2012, 09:28 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,932,105 times
The speed people drive down here is insane. We moved from NY / NJ where the speed limit is 55-65 but I still thought drivers were aggressive. Here going 70 seems to be a minimum requirement. When I am on the highway in the slow lane doing 70 it's like I am standing still. I was just telling my friend on Friday that on my 10 min highway drive I was overtaken (flying by me) by a landscape truck full of stuff in the open back, a pick-up TOWING a trailer and a small 16 seater bus thing. Craziness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area