U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 09:24 PM

354 posts, read 1,058,798 times

Advertisements

I'll tell you what I know.

I like this area a lot. I volunteer at Lemon Bay High marching band. I know a lot of great kids that don't mess with drugs. I am also recovering drug addict and know how things work in drug community.

My friends brother from Grove City is a functioning Oxy addict and told me some about E-Wood (as the kids call it ). Yes, it has an underbelly of meth, crack, dope and oxy use. He says some pay $35 a pill for Oxy.

I live in So. Venice west of 41 close to the gulf. We have a nice non-deed restricted neighborhood. We also have a crack house across the street. It was vacant for over a year and it was wonderful. Then the new landlord put some bad tenants in there. I got an alarm system for the house. My worry is theft from addicts. Now I feel better when I leave the house. Any time they act up I call the sheriff. I become a real pain in the a....with the sherrif and they send the cars. I know they won't last as they will run out of money for electric, food etc. ( I should have bought the house when it was in foreclosure last year). Then we will have our nice neighbor hood back.

Now I know why they have gated communities - Florida does have some problems. I choose not to live in a gated because I have trucks and trailers and a workshop. Drugs are not the only problem. You may get some redneck neighbors who like to collect junk cars and drink on the front lawn all day.

Now we used to live in Manchester, NH in the city and it had it's share of problems. This Venice area is very nice and the bad stuff can be avoided easily. You won't even know it's going on unless you watch SNN 6. (local cable news). It's actually funny to watch these idiots get busted for silly thefts. For the most part there are good kids all over.

The economy downturn helps fuel increase in drug and alcohol use. There should be an increase in problems nationwide.

Florida is a funny place and you need to check your neighborhood before moving in. I still like it and I won't be run-off by one drug house. North Port - Port Charlotte have worse problems than E-Wood and Venice. Nokomis... well
that's another story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 11:12 AM

960 posts, read 1,165,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiddle View Post
I'll tell you what I know.

I like this area a lot. I volunteer at Lemon Bay High marching band. I know a lot of great kids that don't mess with drugs. I am also recovering drug addict and know how things work in drug community.

My friends brother from Grove City is a functioning Oxy addict and told me some about E-Wood (as the kids call it ). Yes, it has an underbelly of meth, crack, dope and oxy use. He says some pay $35 a pill for Oxy.

I live in So. Venice west of 41 close to the gulf. We have a nice non-deed restricted neighborhood. We also have a crack house across the street. It was vacant for over a year and it was wonderful. Then the new landlord put some bad tenants in there. I got an alarm system for the house. My worry is theft from addicts. Now I feel better when I leave the house. Any time they act up I call the sheriff. I become a real pain in the a....with the sherrif and they send the cars. I know they won't last as they will run out of money for electric, food etc. ( I should have bought the house when it was in foreclosure last year). Then we will have our nice neighbor hood back.

Now I know why they have gated communities - Florida does have some problems. I choose not to live in a gated because I have trucks and trailers and a workshop. Drugs are not the only problem. You may get some redneck neighbors who like to collect junk cars and drink on the front lawn all day.

Now we used to live in Manchester, NH in the city and it had it's share of problems. This Venice area is very nice and the bad stuff can be avoided easily. You won't even know it's going on unless you watch SNN 6. (local cable news). It's actually funny to watch these idiots get busted for silly thefts. For the most part there are good kids all over.

The economy downturn helps fuel increase in drug and alcohol use. There should be an increase in problems nationwide.

Florida is a funny place and you need to check your neighborhood before moving in. I still like it and I won't be run-off by one drug house. North Port - Port Charlotte have worse problems than E-Wood and Venice. Nokomis... well
that's another story.
What great perspective. You really have a clear and concise summary of the area.

Unlike 10-15-20 years ago, if you don't live in a gated community, you are taking your chances about the neighborhood. It is the same for all of Venice, Englewood, Nokomis, and North Port.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:39 PM

Cool yee-haw

Like I said before - I can't/won't live in a gated community - too confining for my lifestyle. I did drive by that new StoneyBrook on River Rd and ponder living worry-free. anyway , most neighborhoods are good.

I was looking at the Sarasota sheriff arrest reports after my post yesterday. Most crime is drug or DUI. Some live in my neighborhood. Florida does attract a certain type that wants to live that carefree lifestyle. Not like my nose to the grind stone area in New England. That's why I came here for a less stress, better weather, no more colds and flu, etc.

Some people fall off the wagon and can't get back on. There is virtually no industry in this area. Lack of good jobs. So they turn to drugs and booze to feel good. The house building crash has left a lot out of work. Yet, I still don't want that kind of stuff across the street from me. It will work out in the end. We still live a stones throw from great beaches and nature. You would have to be a millionaire to live this close to the ocean up north.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:25 AM

611 posts, read 1,689,544 times
So much paranoia. Drugs are all over the USA. Go on any forum and read about the epidemic and how this or that city is the worst ever. The fact is kids will rebel. Some will try drugs. A percentage will become addicted. Some of those may OD. A few may die. It's been going on for over 40 years. Living in constant fear is pointless. Be involved with your kids. Pay attention to where they go and who they hang around with. There are no gated communities in my area of eastern Pa just as most of the northeast. We are not however constant victims of crime and our kids eventually grow up and do quite well despite being exposed to drugs and other bad things. Oh and do people really believe that hiding behind a gate is a great lifestyle or that their kids will be free from the same temptations as their nongated peers?

Old 04-30-2009, 12:23 PM

4,542 posts, read 11,394,845 times
The other morning, "they" (thieves) were caught throwing bikes over a seven foot concrete wall off Palm Ave in Sarasota. Alot of good a wall does today, eh?

Old 12-17-2010, 05:09 PM

2 posts, read 8,430 times
this is for whoever wrote this article.for a person who actually came from the same city and state that i did and i live in the same city you do now,you should be so ashamed of yourself.it sounds like you are putting people down who live in gated communitys and and saying that there are less problems.i live in venice fl myself i moved here when i was 10 as a persson who went to the local high school venice high school i can tell you this. 80 percent of venice high schools student body either drinks or smokes pot.cocaine is maybe 5 percent of that 80 percent.and guess what.take a wild guess at whos doing the drugs and drinking 14-19 high schoolers whose parents are rich and they live behind a gated community.shockingly 70 percent of the 80 percent get 3.0 grade point averages and go onto college.yes your future doctors and nurses smoked dope.interesting huh.i know this as a fact because of these people i hung out with.i wasn't a part of their ****.you think that all trouble is outside the gate.sorry but your goody goody kids are more then half the problem.im 24 years old I too come from Manchester nh.where i come from we don't judge others.that problem kind of kicked in here.

you use the term (slang) redneck do you have any idea what that really means.open a dictionary or go back to school.

i was on a scat bus one day.this lady was running her mouth saying i just went on a trip to new hampshire and every single on of them had no teeth they are *******s and stupid.and i let her talk for 5 mins before she got scared after i told her (lady do you really want me to walk over there and knock all your teeth out you ****ing loud *****.the bus driver glared but was laughing.and then she said what why would you do that i didn't do anything to you.i said lady you might want to think about the next time you say something about people who live in new Hampshire.because i lived there for 14 years of my life.I have wonderful looking teeth,i definitely not stupid and neither were my friends,neighbors or family.only one does apply and that's if you choose to run your mouth a lil more i can be an *******.that lady said no more after that and got off at the next stop.everyone clapped

Old 12-17-2010, 05:45 PM

2 posts, read 8,430 times
sorry i meant age 14-19 years old highschoolers

Old 12-18-2010, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahbeth211986 View Post
this is for whoever wrote this article.for a person who actually came from the same city and state that i did and i live in the same city you do now,you should be so ashamed of yourself.it sounds like you are putting people down who live in gated communitys and and saying that there are less problems.i live in venice fl myself i moved here when i was 10 as a persson who went to the local high school venice high school i can tell you this. 80 percent of venice high schools student body either drinks or smokes pot.cocaine is maybe 5 percent of that 80 percent.and guess what.take a wild guess at whos doing the drugs and drinking 14-19 high schoolers whose parents are rich and they live behind a gated community.shockingly 70 percent of the 80 percent get 3.0 grade point averages and go onto college.yes your future doctors and nurses smoked dope.interesting huh.i know this as a fact because of these people i hung out with.i wasn't a part of their ****.you think that all trouble is outside the gate.sorry but your goody goody kids are more then half the problem.im 24 years old I too come from Manchester nh.where i come from we don't judge others.that problem kind of kicked in here.

you use the term (slang) redneck do you have any idea what that really means.open a dictionary or go back to school.

i was on a scat bus one day.this lady was running her mouth saying i just went on a trip to new hampshire and every single on of them had no teeth they are *******s and stupid.and i let her talk for 5 mins before she got scared after i told her (lady do you really want me to walk over there and knock all your teeth out you ****ing loud *****.the bus driver glared but was laughing.and then she said what why would you do that i didn't do anything to you.i said lady you might want to think about the next time you say something about people who live in new Hampshire.because i lived there for 14 years of my life.I have wonderful looking teeth,i definitely not stupid and neither were my friends,neighbors or family.only one does apply and that's if you choose to run your mouth a lil more i can be an *******.that lady said no more after that and got off at the next stop.everyone clapped
I think you are responding to me? (please put the post you are responding to in quotes - thanks)

1) not putting people down in gated communities, just my opinion as to why they exist in abundance in Fla. Most of us were not born and raised here. where we come from usually does not have many if any gated communities.

2) smoking and pot and drinking is more a passage of youth then a drug problem - we all did it. beyond that it is a problem. Crime associated with any of that is a problem. . I'm sure my doctor has smoked pot before.

3 ) redneck ? my definition using the context of my sentence " neighbors who like to collect junk cars and drink on the front lawn all day."
websters - a white member of the Southern rural laboring class .
your dictionary - Now, a redneck is someone who is uncouth and uncultured because they grew up in a working class family, far from the cultural influence of an urban area.

I think we all use the term to describe someone and I can tell you that I may be a lot of things but redneck I am not.

4) I can't even figure out what you trying to say in the last paragraph. maybe add some humor?

Old 12-19-2010, 12:24 PM

14,271 posts, read 13,866,248 times
I'm not following the topic here. Are we comparing Englewood with Venice or gated communities vs non-deed restricted areas? Are we comparing people who can afford to pay $300+ for a home or someone who has a smaller budget, but still desires to live in a single family house?

Venice is, in general, a wealthier community than Englewood. However, each city has its good & bad sections, although none of them are dangerous, high crime areas. One of the above posts states that Port Charlotte is a lot worse. I've been in PC since Jan 2010 and haven't experienced any problems. Practically all of my neighbors are retirees or snowbirds. I'm sure there are less desirable areas in PC, but I feel very safe here.

The only reason I've expressed interest in living in a gated community is because I'm concerned about noisy neighbors and barking dogs. When you live on a street where anything goes, you have to cross your fingers and pray. Money has nothing to do with it. For some reason, there's a false perception that wealthy people aren't ignorant, rowdy or inconsiderate. I guess those who categorically assert this notion don't read the celebrity gossip or watch reality TV.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I'm not following the topic here. Are we comparing Englewood with Venice or gated communities vs non-deed restricted areas? Are we comparing people who can afford to pay $300+ for a home or someone who has a smaller budget, but still desires to live in a single family house?

Venice is, in general, a wealthier community than Englewood. However, each city has its good & bad sections, although none of them are dangerous, high crime areas. One of the above posts states that Port Charlotte is a lot worse. I've been in PC since Jan 2010 and haven't experienced any problems. Practically all of my neighbors are retirees or snowbirds. I'm sure there are less desirable areas in PC, but I feel very safe here.

The only reason I've expressed interest in living in a gated community is because I'm concerned about noisy neighbors and barking dogs. When you live on a street where anything goes, you have to cross your fingers and pray. Money has nothing to do with it. For some reason, there's a false perception that wealthy people aren't ignorant, rowdy or inconsiderate. I guess those who categorically assert this notion don't read the celebrity gossip or watch reality TV.

The topic (like all threads) has wandered a bit but seeing that I have posted a lot on this particular subject I can respond. the discussion of Englewood vs Venice. The City of Venice is wealthier. The area called South Venice (subdivison) is not incorporated or deed-restricted or gated and is much like Englewood, less wealthy and more affordable. The rest of the South County area away from the gulf has some gated/deed-restricted communities. Hence I believe it is important to include in the discussion the whole enchilada.

I think the OP was looking for advice on being near the beach, coffee shops and that Venice main st thing. I think they also discovered how much $$$$ that will cost. Jnancy I don't know where you going with your comments on affordability. Money has everything to do with it. I see that you desire a gated community so that you will have less barking dogs and no boats in the front yard. The odds are that you will get what you want in a gated community and you will pay more $$$ for that. wealth is a relative subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area