Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 09:18 PM

20 posts, read 79,126 times

Advertisements

We are considering another house (see post on Rats in Belfry post) but this house needs considerable updating. Electrical, plumping, popcorn ceilings, new kitchen, wall removed, flooring.

We are not familiar with anyone in Sarasota, we have asked around for recommendations, but no one wanted to recommend tradesmen that they used. We are thinking it might be better for us to work with a General Contractor to coordinate everything. Since we have been going back and forth from Ct., it is difficult for us to supervise work until we finally move.

Could anyone recommend someone they have used? If not a General Contractor, could I please ask for referrals to the various trades people who we might call.

Thank you,
Sara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 04:40 AM

7 posts, read 13,215 times
I hightly recommend Girard's Contracting in Sarasota. We insure them at our agency and have known him long enough to know his reputation is stellar. Good luck to you.

Lisa

Old 07-06-2012, 06:02 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,740,370 times
I can't actually recommend them because I haven't seen them in action first hand but Paradise Homes of Sarasota is a good builder here in Lakewood Ranch and they have another company called Extreme Remodeling or something like that.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:40 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
We had a problem with the main electric box in house we bought in Nokomis in May--could not get insurance until it was taken care of. OUr broker got someone he knows (Care Electric in Sarasota) to come out very quickly and take care of it so we could go forward with insurance process.
We subsequently used that company to come back to house after we closed and work on the electric box to clean up some breakers, to replace/move light fixtures and ceiling fans...to add some can lights in the living area
though they were very good--
they had to postpone the job for week because he had some of his crew taking vacation and out sick--but those problems can crop up
Fortunately our painters were able to work around--and then needed some time because of weather before they could come paint...
Our electric work grew from 3 days to a full week and a day--because we added items to the list--
and they were good enough to accomodate my change of mind.
The two electricians working our job were quick, polite, knowledgeable, and had great customer service skills...
They were neat and respectful of our property as well which always is the proper way to work in someone's home even if it is
not occupied...always locked all the doors, closed all windows and locked when they were done...parked in the driveway so as not to block the street for passing traffic...

Don't know how their prices compare with other electrical firms but we thought it was fair---just didn't know any other electrician and our realtor thought well of them...so didn't look..

The guy who owns the company is Daryl Care -- answers his phone when you call...and if he has to call back does just that...
sounds stupid to praise someone for doing something as elemental as that but we contacted some tradespeople in Sarasota/Nokomis area when we knew we would have work to do and some people don't answer their phone calls...

Old 07-06-2012, 09:48 PM

20 posts, read 79,126 times
Thank you! Loves2Read, you are so right about answering the phone. No one does anymore.

Any carpenters? There is a angled wall which I'd like to remove from the kitchen. I assume it would need a carpenter.

Thanks again,
Sara

Old 07-07-2012, 06:07 AM

807 posts, read 3,186,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I can't actually recommend them because I haven't seen them in action first hand but Paradise Homes of Sarasota is a good builder here in Lakewood Ranch and they have another company called Extreme Remodeling or something like that.
I have seen them in action, I work with lots of builders in the area and I wouldn't let Paradise or Extreme build a dog house for me. I love my dog too much.
The quality of the job has nothing to do with the owner of the company, the sales people or any fancy advertisements. Meet the person who will supervise the work. That's who will answer for any problems and will be responsible for the final quality.
Good, fast and cheap... pick any 2. If someone promises all 3, look out.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:26 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
no carpenters but we also had to have plumber come out to remove plumbing extending from wall where wet bar was originally when the house was first built (we think)...we used a local plumbing company called Bill the Plumber cause our daughter and SIL had used them before for their condo on Venice Island..
I called, they had truck available, he came out and cut back the pipes so the run was inside the wall cavity...
fair price...
would use them again if needed a plumber...

Old 07-23-2012, 08:53 PM

4,614 posts, read 7,535,442 times
There is one contractor I can recommend without reservation, Armando Perez. I've known him for over 10 years and his work is impeccable, neat and he is always professional. Everyone I have recommended Armando to has always given positive feedback on his work.

His company is YPAP Construction and his cell phone is (941) 586-8323, his web site is at: Welcome to YPAP Construction LLC

Tell him Diane sent you.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:02 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times
Don't you guys have Angie's List down there? It's widely used in the Philly area.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:22 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,547,697 times
Here are a few places you can check for a contractor.

Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulations - https://www.myfloridalicense.com/wl1...&SID=&brd=&typ=

Angie's List - Find a Local Business, Ratings, Reviews, Deals | Angie's List

Better Business Bureau - United States and Canada BBB Consumer and Business Reviews, Reports, Ratings, Complaints and Accredited Business Listings

Charlotte Desoto Building Industry Association - Charlotte Desoto Building Industry Association - CDBIA - Go to the Directory

Sun Newspapers has a Business and Service Directory right in the newspaper where you can look for any type of service - electrician, plumber, handyman, landscaping, lawn mowing, kitchen and bath remodeling, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area