Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 01:38 PM

22 posts, read 36,064 times

Advertisements

I have an aunt who suggested that Sarasota is a beautiful place to move to. I love Florida, the energy, oceans, and different resorts all sound like a nice package to call home. However I don't plan to move for a year or two and was hoping someone could share their take of Sarasota. Is it the best city for raising a family? What about safe neighborhoods and decent job opportunities? I would greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 01:50 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Moving this to the Sarasota forum for you.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:46 PM

47 posts, read 65,921 times
Hay sjane, I will be moving to that area the last of september. I will let you know when I get there, until then, Welcome here!

Old 08-14-2012, 04:19 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjane08 View Post
I have an aunt who suggested that Sarasota is a beautiful place to move to. I love Florida, the energy, oceans, and different resorts all sound like a nice package to call home. However I don't plan to move for a year or two and was hoping someone could share their take of Sarasota. Is it the best city for raising a family? What about safe neighborhoods and decent job opportunities? I would greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks!
Hi Sjane, there is a lot of info here if you want to do a search on the forum. It's a great place to live. Since you won't be here for a while you can spend some time reading the threads here.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:38 PM

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it

Old 08-14-2012, 06:18 PM

285 posts, read 639,211 times
Sjane, Sarasota is a great town to raise a family. Schools are very good here, the beaches are excellent, and the weather is tough to beat. If you want high energy live closer to the coast, if you want larger lot sizes, peace & quiet, and see some wildlife then live east of I-75. There are many safe communities here, but you may have to pay for that premium to live in one. I live in Laurel Oak and it's great here, just moved down in February.

I looked at a lot of towns in Florida before deciding on Sarasota. Along the east coast I found the area from Jacksonville to Cocoa Beach to have a lot of redneck types, except for Ponte Vedra which was nice but expensive. I also prefer the Gulf of Mexico over the rougher Atlantic ocean. Anything farther south of Cocoa Beach and the hurricane likelihood increases substantially. Along the west coast Naples was nice but too far south in the hurricane ally. Fort Myers seemed like a spring-break type crowd year-round. Cape Coral looked like a war zone (I think they were ground zero for the housing bubble) as there are a lot of vacant homes. Venice seems too old. North Port is very affordable but wasn't centrally located for my needs. Sarasota fit the bill perfect. It seems like everyone here is so friendly & much more sophisticated than other towns.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:10 PM

Everyone on this thread is convincing me more and more that Sarasota is a wonderful place. I will definitely have to plan to fly out and take a weekend vacation to visit. Plus it would be a nice break from my job and school responsibilities.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:22 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,415,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjane08 View Post
Everyone on this thread is convincing me more and more that Sarasota is a wonderful place. I will definitely have to plan to fly out and take a weekend vacation to visit. Plus it would be a nice break from my job and school responsibilities.
Definitely visit first before you move!

Old 08-21-2012, 04:39 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leetchy2 View Post
Sjane, Sarasota is a great town to raise a family. Schools are very good here, the beaches are excellent, and the weather is tough to beat. If you want high energy live closer to the coast, if you want larger lot sizes, peace & quiet, and see some wildlife then live east of I-75. There are many safe communities here, but you may have to pay for that premium to live in one. I live in Laurel Oak and it's great here, just moved down in February.

I looked at a lot of towns in Florida before deciding on Sarasota. Along the east coast I found the area from Jacksonville to Cocoa Beach to have a lot of redneck types, except for Ponte Vedra which was nice but expensive. I also prefer the Gulf of Mexico over the rougher Atlantic ocean. Anything farther south of Cocoa Beach and the hurricane likelihood increases substantially. Along the west coast Naples was nice but too far south in the hurricane ally. Fort Myers seemed like a spring-break type crowd year-round. Cape Coral looked like a war zone (I think they were ground zero for the housing bubble) as there are a lot of vacant homes. Venice seems too old. North Port is very affordable but wasn't centrally located for my needs. Sarasota fit the bill perfect. It seems like everyone here is so friendly & much more sophisticated than other towns.
There are no areas of Florida that are less or more likely to get a hurricane.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:40 AM

26 posts, read 56,997 times
Default We made the move, and love it!

My family and I packed our bags and moved to Siesta Key a year ago. We came from the Washington DC area. We rented a place for a year, just in case we decided the lifestyle wasn't for us, or if the kids had a really hard time adjusting. Just over a year has passed and we are all happy. Now, I am not sure if I could ever move away from the beach. If you are able to give yourself a trial run, I do recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area