U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 08:38 PM

11 posts, read 18,954 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning on moving to a development called Island Walk. We enjoy bicycling and the development would be ok for her and me to ride in; but as a former competetive cyclist I ride long distances on the road. I wonder how cycling friendly this area is and if there is a bike club active in the area. I would also appreciate any feedback on Island Walk. Is there anything else similiar and around 300k(or less) to be had? Thanks to anyone in advance who may have some insight. Peavoe, in Channahon Il.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 05:24 AM

3,961 posts, read 8,513,477 times
IslandWalk in Venice is a very nice community with great resort style amenities. I have sold a couple of homes there. As far as cycling if you venture out of the community you are on main roads and traffic can get quite heavy during snowbird season in Venice. You are better off cycling in a park. There are a couple in Venice. Here is a web link that lists the parks with bicycle trails in the area: Venice Trails & Trail Maps | Venice, Florida | TrailLink.com

Punta Gorda has over 15 miles of bicycle paths that connect the parks, neighborhoods, and commercial areas as a ring around the city. Punta Gorda has received honorable-mention recognition as a “Bicycle-Friendly Community” by the League of American Bicyclists. To see a map of the plan and photos of some of the existing routes, go to the City of Punta Gorda web site at http://www.ci.puntagorda.fl.us/depts/growthmgmt/ringaroundcity.html or http://teampuntagorda.org/

Old 09-07-2012, 05:27 AM

6,620 posts, read 11,666,509 times
I know a guy from Venice who bikes 30 miles a day. Must be good for biking I would assume.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:25 AM

15,353 posts, read 17,603,354 times
I have seen groups of adults on bikes in the area. Some looked like very serious long distance bikers based on their gear and their speed. Others seem like they do it sometimes as a group but more casual. My guess is that there are several cycling clubs.

There are more adults riding bikes here than children. Some roads are dangerous but they learn which roads to avoid.

It's hot and humind in the summer so you have to learn to go early/late in the summer. But you have all winter to bike as well, and this is when the weather is awesome.

You will see many retirees that take leisure bike rides as well.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:33 AM

774 posts, read 1,904,013 times
The groups of cyclists you're seeing are from the group Coastal Cruisers, based out of North Port.

Check out their website online.

Mikey

Old 09-07-2012, 02:55 PM

547 posts, read 740,653 times
Depending on what you are looking for you may want to come to Sarasota. Besides the Sarasota Manatee bike club: The Sarasota Manatee Bicycle Club There are shop rides and others that just meet at a place & time.If you want longer distance and speed these are the ones I would look for.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:30 AM

3 posts, read 14,216 times
Is this safe for walkers, being around waterways? You don;t have to worry about alligators coming out of the water while walking do you? I know it is a stupid question, but I am terrified of coming across alligators near these waterways.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:52 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,698,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanacher3 View Post
Is this safe for walkers, being around waterways? You don;t have to worry about alligators coming out of the water while walking do you? I know it is a stupid question, but I am terrified of coming across alligators near these waterways.
When you are walking the bike riders that have the we own the road attitude will be more of a threat than alligators will ever be.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:23 AM

3,961 posts, read 8,513,477 times
If you see an alligator, turn and walk the other way. They usually only come out to sun themselves. They do not just fly out of the water and attack you while you are walking by. It is ok to be cautious around them though.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:10 AM

3 posts, read 14,216 times
Thanks for the info. I am very Florida-illiterate I'm afraid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area