U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-09-2012, 07:14 AM

818 posts, read 1,114,665 times
Default Learn To Fish Ministry

So a couple of months ago we tried selling a used sofa and loveseat. After a couple of weeks we got tired of seeing the old stuff and decided to just give it away. We were contacted by someone at Learn To Fish Ministries and wanted to know if we would donate them for a house they had for abused women. It sounded like a good cause so we told them to come and pick them up. They came and pick up the items and left literature about their project. I didn't really read it, just tossed it. About a month ago we got a call letting us know they were having a fundraiser and wanted to know if we come. As we are part time residents we told them no, but maybe we would make a donation. We forgot about making the donation. Earlier this week they called again to ask about the donation and wanted a checking account number. My wife was uncomfortable with that and made an excuse to get off the phone. They called 5 times on Friday and 8 more times Saturday. We did not answer the phone. Finally my wife had enough and answered the phone late yesterday afternoon and told them to stop calling. I did a bit of research and found a Learn To Fish, Inc which is a substance abuse place in Bradenton. I also found another Learn To Fish, which was run through a local church in Sarasota. It was to provide a place for women recently released from jail. I am not sure if these are the same, but neither one of these was what we thought we were donating to. Anyone every heard of Learn To Fish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 10:08 PM

334 posts, read 522,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davery5872 View Post
So a couple of months ago we tried selling a used sofa and loveseat. After a couple of weeks we got tired of seeing the old stuff and decided to just give it away. We were contacted by someone at Learn To Fish Ministries and wanted to know if we would donate them for a house they had for abused women. It sounded like a good cause so we told them to come and pick them up. They came and pick up the items and left literature about their project. I didn't really read it, just tossed it. About a month ago we got a call letting us know they were having a fundraiser and wanted to know if we come. As we are part time residents we told them no, but maybe we would make a donation. We forgot about making the donation. Earlier this week they called again to ask about the donation and wanted a checking account number. My wife was uncomfortable with that and made an excuse to get off the phone. They called 5 times on Friday and 8 more times Saturday. We did not answer the phone. Finally my wife had enough and answered the phone late yesterday afternoon and told them to stop calling. I did a bit of research and found a Learn To Fish, Inc which is a substance abuse place in Bradenton. I also found another Learn To Fish, which was run through a local church in Sarasota. It was to provide a place for women recently released from jail. I am not sure if these are the same, but neither one of these was what we thought we were donating to. Anyone every heard of Learn To Fish?
Never heard of them till I saw your post,then I received an email from them asking if I would consider donating some things I had on Craigslist. Now I am curious if they are legit or just trying to obtain items to sell themselves.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:27 AM

1,647 posts, read 1,584,709 times
Sorry, but this has scam written all over it.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
Sorry, but this has scam written all over it.
I'm thinking the same. I am glad my wife did not give her account number. I don't really care about the furntiture. My only concern is that I was trying to give it to someone who was in need. If they sold it, that's not what I had in mind....but stuff happens. Live and learn. Boy, am I mellowing out as I get older!

Old 09-21-2012, 11:13 AM

925 posts, read 869,575 times
The callers could have easily been pretending to be from the real Learn to Fish Ministries. I'd definitely report their behavior to the police.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:56 PM

74 posts, read 120,048 times
This is definitely a real organization. If you want to validate, you can contact Church of the Cross in Bradenton. This is where we attend church and this past weekend we had Learn to Fish Ministries speak during our service. They seem to be an amazing organization that provides support for women who have been seriously abused. The county has recently given them a larger house (in not-so-great condition) and they are trying very hard to get it finished in a few weeks. This Saturday, our church members will be at the new house at 8:30 am to help in whatever way they can to get the project completed. The church is also accepting donations for Learn to Fish ministries, so if you'd like to make a donation of any kinds, feel free to contact the church and I'm sure they can tell you more about it. Hope this helps!

Old 09-25-2012, 11:36 AM

1,647 posts, read 1,584,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohtofl View Post
This is definitely a real organization. If you want to validate, you can contact Church of the Cross in Bradenton. This is where we attend church and this past weekend we had Learn to Fish Ministries speak during our service. They seem to be an amazing organization that provides support for women who have been seriously abused. The county has recently given them a larger house (in not-so-great condition) and they are trying very hard to get it finished in a few weeks. This Saturday, our church members will be at the new house at 8:30 am to help in whatever way they can to get the project completed. The church is also accepting donations for Learn to Fish ministries, so if you'd like to make a donation of any kinds, feel free to contact the church and I'm sure they can tell you more about it. Hope this helps!
If all of this is true, that's great.

But I would suggest that in this day and age, if you are in a field requiring legitimation (such as, say...a charity), you get SOME sort of internet presence (aka a "website"). A simple Google search reveals only passing mention of Learn To Fish Ministry, and none that really validate the entity at all.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohtofl View Post
There is a link on the church website to a Learn to Fish website, but it is about drug rehab. While there is a small blurb about abused women on the front page that seems to tie abused women into drub abuse, I could not find any other info about this subject. It may be they have not started this part of their ministry yet? But it is interesting that clicking on this link takes you to another website which appears to have nothing to do with any of this.

Learn To Fish Home Page

As far as getting this house done in a few weeks, this IS the story they gave me back in June. They needed furniture to open this house for abused women in a few weeks. I guess if I were really interested in this I would contact the church. But from my experience, IF they are a legitimate organization they are very unprofessional.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:11 PM

74 posts, read 120,048 times
They also have a newly opened thrift shop on 15th near Big Lots. We drove past it today. I am in no way affiliated with them, but I can assure you it's a real organization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
If all of this is true, that's great.

But I would suggest that in this day and age, if you are in a field requiring legitimation (such as, say...a charity), you get SOME sort of internet presence (aka a "website"). A simple Google search reveals only passing mention of Learn To Fish Ministry, and none that really validate the entity at all.
Yes, perhaps they should have a legitimate website or some way of verifying, but I'm guessing that if they are trying to get donations and funding for basic necessities, they most likely do not have the resources, time, or knowledge to develop a website at this time. They do have printed literature which they distributed at our church the other day.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,078 times
Default clear the air

I donated to this in a large way and happy I did Thank You.
It is not a scam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area