Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 06:43 PM

2 posts, read 13,492 times

Advertisements

I am graduating college this December and I have a job offer in Sarasota. I am thinking I want to take it, but my main concern is that there won't be much for me to do as a single 22-year old. Are there a decent number of young people around Sarasota? What about things to do on the weekends such as concerts, clubs, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 09:59 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,458,760 times
Im under the impression its not that great for younger people.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:17 AM

2,227 posts, read 8,211,940 times
i agree crystalblue

Old 10-10-2007, 11:19 AM

942 posts, read 1,391,408 times
When I visited Sarasota last winter, I have visited it several times during the years this is what I noticed. There were quite a few young people in the downtown area, in clubs ,pubs,or restaurants, bistro type places, so they are there. I only talked to a few, one I remember especially was very unfriendly, so it was hard to tell with her, and the other was a nice waitress that liked it there, but said she was priced out and had to leave. I remember she summed it up like this. Sarasota was a nice place close enough to Tampa st pete for entertainment and far enough away to feel safer. She seemed happy there but said many young people were priced out or had felt the effects of apts going to condo conversion and they could not afford to buy them. Take a good look at it, and meet as many poeple your age there and see what happens. In many ways now Sarasota does seem to be or quickly turning into a place for only wealthy retirees or high income professionals.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:45 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Lived there for 17 years - it's a place for older, wealthier people, period. Young people can't get decent paying jobs and can't afford to live there - it was like that when I first moved there in 1981, and today it's about 20 times worse, cost-wise. I am almost a senior citizen myself and it's too old for me. Ten years ago, when we left, I told by 70 y.o. dad that we were moving and he said "GOOD - I never understood why you wanted to live there with all the old people." lol

St. Pete/Tampa area is much better for younger and young-at-heart, and way more affordable.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:07 PM

32 posts, read 238,783 times
I am 25 and work in Sarasota but live in St. Pete. I enjoy working here and most of the people I work with are under age 35. Downtown is mostly an over 40 crowd but Siesta Key is really cool and attracts alot of people in their 20s. I also belong to a gym here and there are alot of young people there too. Its weird though b/c when I walk around town I am totally baffled that everyone is so old! All in all it really is a nice town though, you just need to join clubs and work a little harder to meet people our age.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:17 PM

4 posts, read 12,566 times
I have lived in Sarasota for 3 years. It is definitely a place for older people. Our Rep. in the U.S. House told me he represents the oldest demographic in all of Congress. If you must live in Florida, which I don't recommend, choose a place on the east coast. Of course it is rather expensive, but the Miami area id definitely the cultural star of the state and is very lively and cosmopolitan, compared to Tampa, St. Pete or Sarasota.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:05 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,688,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplaura02 View Post
I have lived in Sarasota for 3 years. It is definitely a place for older people. Our Rep. in the U.S. House told me he represents the oldest demographic in all of Congress. If you must live in Florida, which I don't recommend, choose a place on the east coast. Of course it is rather expensive, but the Miami area id definitely the cultural star of the state and is very lively and cosmopolitan, compared to Tampa, St. Pete or Sarasota.
"cultural star"? what culture are you referring to?

Old 12-22-2013, 04:48 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,677,562 times
This thread is 6 years old....

Old 12-22-2013, 11:21 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,688,199 times
well, i didn't resurrect it, just responded to it. But, you're right. I think posts originated over a year before should be disabled for replies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area