Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 10:29 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,841,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinoutofjersey View Post
its good to get into a debate and maybe even an argument on what will ultimately effect all of us. going by kids and flipping the bird proves nothing but idiocity. the kids actually were laughing at them. even if they were adults out there and there was finger waving and obscenities yelled it proves nothing. why not stop and get into a discussion if you feel so strongly. you never know just might convince them to jump ship.
The old geezers should keep their eyes on the road for once instead of flipping the bird to youngsters. Maybe there would be less accidents that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 10:38 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,372,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoman_6 View Post
There is no civility anymore..except perhaps at Publix

What publix are you shopping at?

Old 11-02-2012, 10:40 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,343,122 times
This election might be the single most depressing of my lifetime.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:14 PM

1,580 posts, read 3,140,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
This election might be the single most depressing of my lifetime.
take a deep breath, it will be all right.

i dont know about depressing, but it could be the worst thing to happen for the country.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:14 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
No--the Bush/Gore election was the worst debacle of its kind since before the Civil War probably...
Having Bush in office vs Gore lead directly to the involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan...
Don't know if the 9-11 bombings would have been prevented, but don't think Gore would have approached the "answer" to that attack in same way that Bush did...
Plus would not have had same Supreme Court line-up that we do now...
So Bush-Gore was terrible event because of how it changed the atmosphere of the election process...
Gore was a ninny to stop fighting over the recount decision--
That was not a conciliation gesture that brought the country together...which I guess was what he thought might happen...
Give in to bullies and you make them stronger...

Old 11-04-2012, 12:51 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
I don't claim to be exceptionally well traveled but we have taken vacations in states mainly in south and southwest--have spent quite a bit of time in FL and Louisiana in addition to TX and frankly I have never met as many ill-mannered OLDER people than I have in FL...
The truth is most of them from what I have seen are from out of state--usually the north east US--so I can't say that FL is to blame for their bad manners...
But they are obnoxous -- terrible drivers, cut in line in grocery stores and the post office, don't move their carts out of the parking lot when they are done shopping...
And just very unfriendly...
So if I were guessting about the birthplace and true residence of those throwing fingers I would bet 75% of them are from back East...

My daughter was 8 mo pregnant and in line at Publix with her hands full of stuff she was buying (no she didn't get a cart) and someone cut in line in front of her--when she confronted him his reaction was "Oh, I didn't think you would mind" in a very NY accent...
Only one example but indicative of attitudes...

so I sympathize with you--my daughter who is in her mid 30's was raised in TX for most of her life and taught to use "Sir" and "Ma'm" when addressing her elders--and they didn't have to be too much older either...
Now that she is an adult, she still uses that term of respect--
Woman who is definitely her elder and works at the Subway in the Publix parking lot on Tamiami almost at the Venice Island turn off ALWAYS yells at her very disrespectfully when she has answered her with "Ma'm" when buying sandwiches...
Couldn't believe she would be so rude to be addressed that way--but apparently she considers it is a term of DISrespect since she doesn't want to admit she is senior citizen...
Again--her accent definitely puts her as someone from back East...

Old 11-05-2012, 07:19 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,140,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
no--the bush/gore election was the worst debacle of its kind since before the civil war probably...
Having bush in office vs gore lead directly to the involvement in iraq and afghanistan...
Don't know if the 9-11 bombings would have been prevented, but don't think gore would have approached the "answer" to that attack in same way that bush did...
Plus would not have had same supreme court line-up that we do now...
So bush-gore was terrible event because of how it changed the atmosphere of the election process...
Gore was a ninny to stop fighting over the recount decision--
that was not a conciliation gesture that brought the country together...which i guess was what he thought might happen...
Give in to bullies and you make them stronger...
what does this have to do with the original subject and post??????????????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area