Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 02:57 AM

88 posts, read 158,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frida7 View Post
No one needs cable any more, you can watch everything online. Hook up your computer to the tv with your hdmi and your done.
I've even done it by tethering off my smartphone.
I think that using internet-provided content is the way to cut your cable bill, but I don't know enough details about it. I believe that you will eventually be able to stream all/most internet content through a Roku box, but that piece isn't there, yet. I have all the movies that I want on Netflix via my Roku, but I'd like to get the main network stations (CBS, NBC) and a few other stations/content, such as Food Network. I'm interested in the details on this please, such as what sites you go to for TV content. Also, do you have to get up and search the laptop to change what you are watching?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 07:17 AM

279 posts, read 577,519 times
we were using Netflix through Roku for years with only the most basic service from Fios. When the kids younger it was plenty of content. Now that they are older the shows they want aren't available, we cancelled Netflix for now. We get Amazon through Roku because I have a Prime account and it's included but Amazon has limited content available. I may try Hulu Plus.

We don't watch Network TV at all. Mostly AMC, Showtime, SyFy, Discovery, Food and Cartoon Network so I don't know if we can really get the new content online.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:45 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,931,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wille View Post
I am sick over the exorbitant cost of cable TV. My monthly bill is $180 (with taxes and fees) for FIOS Triple Play with no movie options. I have 2 set top boxes and a DVR. Has anyone found a considerably less alternative?
We have brighthouse triple play with every movie channel, 4 boxes and whole house DVR...the bill with tax is $228 a month. Urgh!

Old 11-04-2012, 08:46 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,931,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyChief View Post
I would NOT recommend getting the triple play. You do NOT need anyone else s VOIP (Voice over IP). MagicJack Plus works GREAT! I used it over in Iraq/Kuwait to call home over their local cellular network and then used it over here for the past two years. So, get internet & cable, then plug a magicjack plus into your router..the output into a wall phone jack...and you are set !
But when you drop the phone portion of the triple play they charge you more for the two remaining services so the savings are minimal.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:07 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,660,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoOsprey View Post
we were using Netflix through Roku for years with only the most basic service from Fios. When the kids younger it was plenty of content. Now that they are older the shows they want aren't available, we cancelled Netflix for now. We get Amazon through Roku because I have a Prime account and it's included but Amazon has limited content available. I may try Hulu Plus.

We don't watch Network TV at all. Mostly AMC, Showtime, SyFy, Discovery, Food and Cartoon Network so I don't know if we can really get the new content online.
This is the problem that we have as well. I would love to cut the cable, but the channels that have shows that I actually care to watch have gone out of their way to prevent you from getting their content any other way. We tried Hulu Plus for a month, and it's fine for content from the major networks, but there isn't as much from the cable networks.

I have noticed that the AMC shows that I like are generally available to buy in digital format on Amazon shortly after they air, so that's a possibility, but FX and Cartoon Network shows (Adult Swim specifically) don't seem to be available any other way (besides waiting 6-9 months for them to go to DVD).

Old 11-04-2012, 11:19 AM

509 posts, read 906,944 times
Willie, watchseries.com: The Leading Watch Series Site on the Net is a good one, Netflix, piratebay.com are good too. Yes, you control what you watch, and pause if need be, on the laptop. My kids always seem to be able to watch movies that are new in theaters, online. I'm not sure where they go for that, but we haven't been to a movie theater in years.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:38 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,414,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frida7 View Post
My kids always seem to be able to watch movies that are new in theaters, online. I'm not sure where they go for that, but we haven't been to a movie theater in years.
People certainly need to get creative when locating their desired content, but this one does seem to me like it could be slightly illegal...

Old 11-05-2012, 02:54 PM

509 posts, read 906,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
People certainly need to get creative when locating their desired content, but this one does seem to me like it could be slightly illegal...
I'll live dangerously.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:59 PM

285 posts, read 638,742 times
Satellite internet stinks. It's slow and there are daily use limits.

Not sure how you're paying $180 per month without premium channels. I pay $129/mo with the triple-play, and I have 3 set top boxes, fast 50/25 internet speed, all the Cinemax channels, and I received a $500 gift card for signing a 2-year deal.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:50 AM

88 posts, read 158,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leetchy2 View Post
Satellite internet stinks. It's slow and there are daily use limits.

Not sure how you're paying $180 per month without premium channels. I pay $129/mo with the triple-play, and I have 3 set top boxes, fast 50/25 internet speed, all the Cinemax channels, and I received a $500 gift card for signing a 2-year deal.
The triple play is now $119 with the Extreme package HD package. We have an extra phone line that is 9.99, 2 set top boxes are 6.99 ea and a DVR that is 16.99. Taxes and fees make up the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area