U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 06:47 AM

14,307 posts, read 25,605,657 times
Yrs
I signed up during that $500 promotion and never got my gift card...
Have to make some calls
Thanks for reminding me

Re the OP
You can get an HD antenna and depending on where your local stations are broadcasting from you might not need cable for local programming

IF you have Internet then try to find a friend who has a Fios or UVerse plan and him part of his monthly bill for use of his signon to use HBOGo and Showtime Now and I think there is one for Max the movie channel
All the major channels like CBS have Internet sites and make their programs available the day after they are shown on TV
Note the dates on these articles
Some are old enough that their recommendations are likely not top drawer but the concept might be worth investigation

TV Without Cable: How to Cut the Cord - CBS News

35 Ways To Watch Television for Free Without Cable Or Satellite

How We Watch TV Without Cable Service

Guide How to Watch TV without Cable | Missing Remote

If u aren't technically savvy buy an hour of Geek Squad time if u need installation
Or check UTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 01:01 PM

11 posts, read 10,012 times
In Hawaii we have Time Warner Cable and currently (prices always going up) pay $65.75 a month for "standard" service. This includes local network affiliates with local news, local channels and various cable channels such as ESPN, Shopping, HGTV, A&E, Discovery, Spike, History, etc. for a total of about 63 channels. No box or DVR.

Basic cable is cheaper but comes with much fewer channels.

How does our basic or standard cable pricing compare with Sarasota cable providers ? Thanks.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:42 PM

43 posts, read 60,671 times
What's the best internet in town? I have Comcast XFinity, and I do not love it. I'd like to switch, but I'm not sure where to go. I don't think my apartment has FiOS available yet.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:44 PM

555 posts, read 595,652 times
Check out the site called Filmon for a lot of free live internet TV channels - including live network TV channels such as CW, NBC Miami, and CBS New York.

The site is run by eccentric billionaire Alki David -

Watch Streaming Movies and live TV in HD. Watch Football and Compare us to Hulu, Zattoo and TVCatchup.

For a bit of background information about Filmon and it's legal underpinnings - the following recent article is informative. (Filmon is currently using a technology similar to the company Aereo):

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr...scaring-387947

Old 11-13-2012, 09:11 PM

If you call Comcast and ask to speak to their "retention department" you will be offered the best deals. I get the "limited-basic" TV package for $10/month. It's really everything I need. I get about 8 PBS channels (with all of the PBS sub-channels from WEDU and WUSF). I love "THIS TV" from Tampa for movies. I also get Turner Classic Movies and Hallmark Channel. I also like ME-TV (a retro TV channel - it's a NBC sub-channel from Tampa). Those are my favorite channels. In addition I get all the major channels in HD such as ION, CW, NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, and MY. Plus some other stuff such as SNN 6 local news.

I found that for my needs this was really sufficient and I didn't need to spend any more.

Plus - because I subscribe to a TV package I get the lower rates for Comcast's internet packages. Without TV service - the rates for internet are higher.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:50 PM

260 posts, read 396,551 times
I did the FIOS thing and was promised $100.00 credit for referring a friend. Never got it. I did Brighthouse it was OK until I only wanted cable. I now have DISH for the 3rd time in 15 years with no problems. 300 channels for $50 a month (including one box) after a year it goes up to $65 so I will knock it down to the 250 channels. Taxes are less when you have dish or direct. With DISH you can have one box and it will work on 2 TV's and you can watch different channels on the TV's. I like to take my comp when I travel so I have MiFi with AT&T for $50.00 for 5 gigs a month. I usually use about 3 or 4 at the most. I also have cell phone with AT&T it was 450 minutes a month but told them I would have to find a better plan because I needed more minutes so they gave me 100 bonus minutes that they use first on my monthly limit and let me add 5 numbers I call the most for unlimited calling. My unused minutes roll over so I don't have to worry about going over my limit. That is just over $47 per month including tax. I know that I have had it with cable, Fios whatever is out there and will never use either again. The one thing that burned me was Verizon sends you a final bill, you pay it and you think you all done then you get another bill for canceling their service. $3 for canceling my cell phone 5 yrs ago and $7 for canceling my internet and tv.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:59 AM

I just talked to Comcast retention department because my special 12 month deal of $10/mo for Limited Basic TV service is ending soon.

They are no longer offering that same deal - but instead are now offering a new 12 month deal for the "Digital Economy" TV tier for $14.95/mo.

There are no contracts to sign and this can be cancelled (by customer) any time before 12 months is up without any penalties or extra costs.

Digital Economy is regularly $39.95/mo. I would describe it as someting in between Expanded basic and Limited Basic in terms of the number of channels offered.

I also suscribe to "Economy Plus" internet service and the regular price for that with a TV subscription is $29.95/mo. (without TV it's $39.95/mo). I get about 3.2 mbps download speed which is fine for my needs. I'm even able to stream 720P videos. If you want to stream 1080P videos you will need a faster internet package. However I find that there really isn't that much content available in 1080P to justify paying for more expensive internet.

TV and internet with Verizon is about $80/mo I believe. So this saves me some money compared to if I went with Verizon. Of course with Verizon for that extra cost you'll have more channels and a faster internet speed. But I don't watch much television so I figure that all of those gazillion channels are something that I can do without.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:35 AM

4,932 posts, read 4,322,433 times
This is about internet service.

Has anyone tried the "no contract" remote broadband sticks? This is the little device to stick into your laptop to be able to access the www anywhere, not just in your home.

I have used Verizon's before, but it was via a contract. This time I want 'no contract'.

So far it looks like T Mobile has one. Its approx $60 for the device...then you buy a 1 month or 1 week 'pass' that has a GB limit. It's good if you are taking a trip and need internet access but don't want to buy it for long term contract.

Anyone try these (mobile broadband - no contract) ...which companies have decent service?

They are supposed to be much higher speed now versus a couple years ago.

Also about T Mobile, it appears from some web searches that when your time/GB allotment is over, they simply slow down your speed rather than cut off internet access completely. Anyone input?

Old 01-22-2013, 09:00 AM

443 posts, read 334,609 times
That sounds similar to the data plan I get on my iPad4 when I travel, only there is nothing to plug in, just an account I can use to purchase the amount of MGs that I want and it's pretty reasonable too. When home I just have it on my WiFi.

It's true about t mobile, I'm no longer with them, but I really disliked that. Unlimited should be unlimited, that seemed shady to me.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:50 PM

192 posts, read 106,511 times
Don't got to Comcast. Horrible service, customer, and literal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area