Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 04:35 PM

8,241 posts, read 4,660,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
Places where you should not move:

Riverside CA, where it is illegal for people to kiss on the lips without rinsing with carbonized rose water first.

In Alabama, it is illegal to play dominos where billiard tables are also present.

In Nebraska, a bar cannot serve beer unless soup is also available.

In South Carolina, kids are not permitted to play pinball machines.

You might never get off the phone in these places, as so many people would require the swift hand of Citizens' Justice.
Are you saying that laws requiring mandatory recycling are "frivolous"? If so please explain. It seems to me that you are comparing the mandatory Sarasota recycling law to rather frivolous laws such as the Nebraska law about not being able to buy beer unless soup is available.

Do you feel it is "erroneous behavior" to report businesses that violate the mandatory recycling law? It appears to me that is the point that you are trying to make. If so why do you feel that way?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just do a Google search about mandatory recycling and you'll see that many cities all across America have laws and stiff penalties in place. They also ENCOURAGE "good citizens" to report all violators. Now notice please that I supply a link to back up my claim as factual. Here are the rules from Haward, CA:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...7TTrS2BA6Tle1w

From above linked document:

"Escalating fines of $100, $200, $500"

also

"Residents urged to report all scavenging to HDP Dispatch"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the above link that I supplied rebukes the notion that the recycling law in Sarasota is an 'isolated' bizarre law (such as those that you posted). Because the same basic kind of laws about recycling are in place all over the country.

Are you implying then that the entire country is erroneously putting into place recycling laws? - and that all of these city/county governments are doing the wrong thing? Why is recycling bad? Please explain.

Last edited by wondermint2; 11-10-2012 at 05:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I don't really care enough to research it. I was going by what you pasted(it said City of Sarasota). I was just trying to help you because you pasted "city" info but mentioned county.
OK thank you. I have indeed researched it further and the ordinance is also in effect in Sarasota County.

**Here is the link proving my point:

https://www.scgov.net/commercialsoli...s/default.aspx

From the above Sarasota County Government link:

"Commercial Recycling and Garbage Collection

Recycling is mandatory in unincorporated portions of Sarasota County as well as the municipalities of Venice, Sarasota, North Port and Longboat Key.

Ordinance 2003-092 mandates recycling in unincorporated Sarasota County.

Businesses that don't recycle may incur fines up to $500.

Compliance means keeping all program recyclables out of the garbage container.

Sarasota County wants to help you "Recycle Right."

The Solid Waste recycling and waste reduction program gives you the opportunity to recycle much of what you throw away at your business. Recycling can make sound business sense and impact your bottom line. By recycling and taking materials out of the waste stream, you may be able to reduce the size of your garbage container and/or the number of collection pick-ups. ​

Commercial Garbage Collection

If you own or manage a business in unincorporated Sarasota County, you are required to use the county's franchised waste hauler, Waste Management, to collect garbage. Waste Management can be reached at 941-493-4100, and will assist you in determining the appropriate service level (number / size of containers, pick-up frequency) for your businesses.

Most businesses in Sarasota County are required to keep their solid waste and recycling containers in an enclosure."

Last edited by wondermint2; 11-10-2012 at 04:47 PM..

Old 11-10-2012, 04:48 PM

OK I'm officially done with this thread -

Old 11-10-2012, 06:29 PM

509 posts, read 907,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
OK I'm officially done with this thread -
First intelligent thing you've written.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:55 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,076,689 times
I recently had to get rid of an above range microwave. I called Waste Management for a pick up. I was told it would be picked up on Tuesday, my regular trash day, by the appliance truck. When I told the person to not blame me if it is not there in the morning because of 'pickers', I was told they are aware of that problem.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:24 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post

I wouldn't care if my neighbors activities didn't make noise. Then I wouldn't bother reporting it....
So all the hot air about how they are breaking ordinances and such?
Dang, just come right out and admit you don't have the gall to take address the problem in person, so this is your work around, hoping an anonymous call to the proper officials will make the problem go away without identifying you.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:39 PM

279 posts, read 577,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Dang, just come right out and admit you don't have the gall to take address the problem in person, so this is your work around, hoping an anonymous call to the proper officials will make the problem go away without identifying you.
that's the point i was trying to make!

Old 11-10-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
No I'm not afarid of anyone. I work out every day - have a unique full beard - let's just say that when most people see me "they don't want to mess with me". Believe me it has nothing to do with me being "chicken" - but everything to do with me having wisdom.

I'm highly intelligent. College degree and all.

Now let's break down the reasoning further:

1) Confronting somebody that is probably "ignorant" to begin with is not a good idea. Somebody that doesn't consider their neighbors and doesn't obey the laws is probably "ignorant" (or they have a personality flaw). These kinds of people are more inclined to act irrationally when asked not to make noise, or to stop doing some behavior that might be of benefit to them. At least there is certainly a risk of it.

2) Police and authorities (who are very smart by the way) - always advise citizens it's generally best not to "try and take the law into your own hands"- but just best to report illegal activity and the let the police handle it.

3) Often times when people try to take the law into their own hands bad things happen. Have you heard about the Trayvon Martin case? George Zimmerman thought he was being "bravado" by following Trayvon Martin after the police specifically told him not to. All he was supposed to do if he wittnessed something suspicious - is call the police and stay out of it:

Tragic death at the hands of Florida vigilante | KnoxViews

4) The recycling law helps Sarasota County. As a citizen of Sarasota County you benefit indirectly when everyone recycles. I believe the County makes money off of the recyclables. I have no way of "forcing" my business neighbor to recycle properly. If I called him I would suspect he would think that "it is not my place to tell him how to throw out his trash and recyclables". Quite frankly I understand that reaction from people. In actuality it is Sarasota County's place to tell him if he is not recycling properly. Not me.

OK Now this was really my last post. -

Last edited by wondermint2; 11-10-2012 at 09:59 PM..

Old 11-10-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelavie View Post
Here's a crazy thought... perhaps restaurant management has recently changed. In that case, there is a chance that the new managers (or perhaps a new employee in charge of the trash) is unaware of the ordinance. When a company is onboarding a new employee (especially a company as busy as you say this place is), it's possible to forget to mention a few of the finer points. I'm with everyone else in this thread. Make a phone call - it would take considerably less of your time than researching and trolling, and would be the KIND thing to do.

If you were unknowingly breaking an ordinance, would you rather find out from a kindly neighbor or from an official who is there to fine you? THAT is what the "do unto others" verse is getting at. Please don't quote scripture in the middle of a thread where you're being a complete a**. Not a good witness.
Wrong again Einstein. My landlord knows the owner of the restaurant. Nothing has changed hands for years. I'll quote scripture if I want to. You're not my boss. Thank you and good evening.

"1 Tomothy 5:20

(New International Version (©1984)

"Those who sin are to be rebuked publicly, so that the others may take warning."

http://bible.cc/1_timothy/5-20.htm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I provided a biblical quote (and the link to the source) - that backs up my philosophy of reprimanding sinners.

Can you supply a biblical quote (with a link to support it) - to show that sinners are to be treated with kindness instead of being rebuked? You know the Lord believes that rebuking a sinner ultimately helps everyone.

Are maybe you are just more into name calling?

Last edited by wondermint2; 11-10-2012 at 09:51 PM..

Old 11-10-2012, 10:00 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Wondermint, restaurants are exempt from this ordinance. I just called my husband and asked him (he is a restaurant GM in the city limits of Sarasota). It would be impossible for restaurants to recycle.

Back to the drawing board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area