Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 07:35 AM

8,027 posts, read 4,631,899 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I was wondering if anyone knows if there are any ordinances in Sarasota County about dumpster diving? Some counties call them "anti scavenging" ordinances. I tried a search and found an old news article from 1990 that mentioned Sarasota County had such an ordinance. But I couldn't find anything specific about it - or if it's still enacted?

I live across the street from a restaurant - and recently a guy comes around in a big van approximately 9:30PM to 10PM and takes all the glass beer bottles out of the restaurant dumpster. This is a popular restaurant and they throw away a lot of glass bottles (every night around 8Pm to 9pm at night). I'm not sure if the restaurant is giving this guy permission to do it - but I think so.

But any way wouldn't the County be losing out on recycling money this way? The big issue I have with it is that it makes noise at night. I can hear the glass bottles rattling around while this guy is doing his scavenging. He's usually there for about 20 minutes or so. As I said it's a lot of bottles.

If you were in my shoes would you call the police? Thanks for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 07:52 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,932,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
Hi all. I was wondering if anyone knows if there are any ordinances in Sarasota County about dumpster diving? Some counties call them "anti scavenging" ordinances. I tried a search and found an old news article from 1990 that mentioned Sarasota County had such an ordinance. But I couldn't find anything specific about it - or if it's still enacted?

I live across the street from a restaurant - and recently a guy comes around in a big van approximately 9:30PM to 10PM and takes all the glass beer bottles out of the restaurant dumpster. This is a popular restaurant and they throw away a lot of glass bottles (every night around 8Pm to 9pm at night). I'm not sure if the restaurant is giving this guy permission to do it - but I think so.

But any way wouldn't the County be losing out on recycling money this way? The big issue I have with it is that it makes noise at night. I can hear the glass bottles rattling around while this guy is doing his scavenging. He's usually there for about 20 minutes or so. As I said it's a lot of bottles.

If you were in my shoes would you call the police? Thanks for any suggestions.
I wouldn't call the police. I also wouldn't live across the street from a dumpster if I was looking for peace and quiet.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:55 AM

279 posts, read 577,551 times
No, I wouldn't call the police. A) The restaurant is throwing out bottles. They chose not to recycle and they don't care about the money. Even if they didn't give the guy permission they probably know about it. B) There is a dude that needs the money & the bottles get recycled so that's a good thing.

You can try talking to the restaurant and see if they'd be willing to put the glass bottles aside in a separate box/bin since they are going to get dug out of the dumpster every night anyway and the noise bothers you.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:58 AM

279 posts, read 577,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
I wouldn't call the police. I also wouldn't live across the street from a dumpster if I was looking for peace and quiet.
yeah, this too!

Old 11-09-2012, 08:06 AM

3,179 posts, read 5,998,184 times
How is this guy making money off glass bottles??? FL does not have a deposit program. I can see aluminum can scavenging, but glass???

Old 11-09-2012, 08:10 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
I say leave the guy alone. Maybe he's an artist - who cares? The bottles are getting recycled.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I say leave the guy alone. Maybe he's an artist - who cares? The bottles are getting recycled.
Thank you for responding.

IMO easy for you to say leave the guy alone - as you live in peace and quiet.

However if you were in my shoes being bothered by annoying noise - somehow I imagine you'd have a different view of things. Strange how the world works..... Oh the poor guy who's probably breaking the law (violating an ordinance) needs the money. Scr*** the law abiding citizen that just wants peace and quiet.

So is there an ordinance or not? And I thought it was mandatory (law) for businesses to recycle in Sarasota County????

Old 11-09-2012, 08:21 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,859,468 times
Have you tried talking to the guy who is scavenging?

Old 11-09-2012, 08:46 AM

Ah HA!! I found out from the Sarasota County web site that it's MANDATORY for businesses to recycle! So this restaurant owner is not obeying the law. I think I might just "lean" on him a bit about this -

Solid Waste and Recycling Information

From the Sarasota County Government web site:

"The City Commission has approved changes to solid waste services that went into into effect September 1, 2010. The City of Sarasota provides solid waste services, with the help of private contractors, within the city limits. Recycling is mandatory in the City of Sarasota for Residents and Businesses - view the ordinance here. Services include the following:

Collection of garbage, recyclable materials, yard waste, and special waste.

BLUE BIN recyclable materials include: aluminum cans, foil, and food trays without residue; steel/tin cans; glass bottles and jars of all colors; metal jar lids; plastic containers typically marked on the bottom with a 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7; (see image below) and polycoated paper cartons (milk and juice cartons and boxes)."

Old 11-09-2012, 09:20 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,371,973 times
I'd talk to the business owner. I sure like my sleep too and wouldn't want to be rattled out of it every night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area