Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 01:35 PM

4 posts, read 9,096 times

Advertisements

George,

While some have recommended Lakewood Ranch, it sounds like you are definitely wanting to be closer to the beach. As some others have posted, Lakewood Ranch is a great, up and coming area where there are many younger families. However, Lakewood Ranch is also 30 minutes from the nearest Gulf beach. It's a nice area, but it is farther away from the culture and true Sarasota lifestyle.

As for schools, which will be a big priority for you, know that Sarasota is known for having a very well-rounded education system.

A couple of helpful links regarding schools:
Florida Dept. of Education school district rankings: http://schoolgrades.fldoe.org/default.asp
Sarasota County School website: http://sarasotacountyschools.net/

I would recommend taking education principles into consideration when making your decision on where to live in Sarasota. Find which school is the best fit for you and your children.

As for areas of recommendation, I will suggest what others have said and that is to come visit and see the area for yourself.

Based on what your previous posts mentioned (desire to be near beach, schools, parks, etc.), I would suggest you look in the following areas:

Palmer Ranch 34238
Palmer Ranch is in a desirable location due to its close proximity to I-75, minutes to Siesta Key Beach, and a short drive to downtown Sarasota. One of the best aspects of Palmer Ranch is that it has its own grocery store, shopping plaza, gas stations, banks, and more. Many of the homes have fenced in backyards. Palmer Ranch is a very "walkable" area, so going on a family walk or taking the dogs out would be very enjoyable. It is also a beautiful community that has mature landscaping, giving it a "suburbia" feel.

Siesta Key 34242:
Most popular for its beaches, which consistently rank in the “Top 10” for best beaches in America, Siesta Key Beach claimed the top spot in 2011, as it was voted “#1 Beach in America” by Dr. Beach. Residents of condo communities can enjoy spending their days at the pool, riding a bike along Midnight Pass, sinking their feet into the powdery sand at Siesta Key Beach, dining or shopping in Siesta Key Village, or having an adventurous day on the water. Glebe Park in Siesta Key is great for children-- there are soccer and baseball fields, basketball courts, a covered picnic area, and a playground. Siesta Key Beach is also great for families, because there is a playground, picnic area, concession stand, and restrooms.

Gulf Gate 34231
If you don't mind older homes, Gulf Gate would be a good place to consider. It is close to Siesta Key and Turtle Beach, not a far drive from Oscar Scherer State Park where you can hike, fish, or take the kids to a playground. It is close to the Sarasota Square Mall and other shopping centers. There are many ranch style homes that were first developed in the 1960s, though there are some newer constructed homes. Gulf Gate has a great charm and personality of suburban Sarasota. There are many families in this section as well.

These are a few areas that I think you could begin searching.

If you have any other questions, feel free to DM me!

Best of luck to you on your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 09:16 AM

6 posts, read 7,438 times
Hi!

Thanks, I was looking to the locations that you gave me, but those are definitely more expensive than Lakewood Ranch. I do like to be close to the beach (I actually live at 2 blocks of the caribean sea), but I know that there is more expensive and probably I wont be able to afford it. How is it Sarasota Springs?

Old 11-22-2012, 11:10 AM

6 posts, read 7,438 times
One more question if you don't mind. How much should I calculate to expend in the grocery for a family of 4 per month?

Old 11-23-2012, 08:19 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
I think Siesta Key is going to be over your price range.

The best rentals I've found are not the ones advertised but the ones you find driving around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area