U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 07:44 PM

3 posts, read 13,824 times

Advertisements

We are looking at relocating with my husbands job to Bradenton AREA...I found a house I love in Parrish. We were told not to buy a 2 story home because heat rises and the 2nd floors just don't cool down well. We were also told that 2 story homes sit on the market longer. Is this true? Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 08:32 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,239,008 times
From what I see on the real estate sites, most 2-stories are 2nd floor frame construction. Think "possible" hurricane and insurance rates.

I tend to agree with the heat rising comments.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:05 AM

15,190 posts, read 31,132,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glastron_79 View Post
From what I see on the real estate sites, most 2-stories are 2nd floor frame construction. Think "possible" hurricane and insurance rates.

I tend to agree with the heat rising comments.
Yes, that, and a whole lot of people don't want to have to climb stairs. That eliminates a LOT of future buyers if you need to resell.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:15 AM

1,939 posts, read 5,601,349 times
We looking for the same! Looove Parrish but cant find too much info on it.. We want to stay in the area also as we both work in WEST bradenton..Love the homes out that way but heard conflicting reports on the drive..Did you find any interesting news?

Old 10-15-2007, 12:47 PM

272 posts, read 1,406,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVINANDMELISSA View Post
We are looking at relocating with my husbands job to Bradenton AREA...I found a house I love in Parrish. We were told not to buy a 2 story home because heat rises and the 2nd floors just don't cool down well. We were also told that 2 story homes sit on the market longer. Is this true? Any thoughts?
Reasons why 2 story houses are rare in Florida:

The heat does rise significantly in 2 story houses. You will see a lot of the 2 story newer construction with 2 air conditioner units; one is exclusively for the second floor so that one unit doesn't become overworked.

The taller your house is, the more likely it is to take hurricane damage. Especially if it has a pitched roof. Tall houses just become a big wind break.

A lot of older people move to FL to retire and they do not want to climb 5,000 steps.

Depending on the size and location, it can increase your sinkhole risk due to increased weight.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:22 AM

16 posts, read 58,412 times
I live in an older two story house in Tampa, and I find that bcasue the upstairs has many more closed in rooms (bedrooms) it actually is more comfortable up there....each room has its own vent and the cool air stays put as opposed to being out in the open of downstairs. Just one way of looking at it.....My roof is hipped, so I get a big insurance discount for hurricane mitigation construction. I'm from the north and have always lived in two story huses, so that's what I naturally flocked to here.....

Old 10-26-2007, 09:01 AM

792 posts, read 2,018,342 times
The heat rising issue is more significant on houses that aren't insulated properly. That can be an issue in Florida because it rarely gets very cold.

If you have a two story house that very well insulated, the upstairs will only get marginally warmer than the bottom floor.

I know this because I owned a house that had a 2nd floor that was poorly insulated. I was VERY hot in the summer, even though the AC was on full blast.
Anyway, I eventually redid the entire upstairs and put heavy insulation throughout all the walls and attic area. It made a significant difference in the temperature, as well as the cost to heat and cool the upstairs.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:37 PM

558 posts, read 2,058,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVINANDMELISSA View Post
We've lived in a 2-story house in Bradenton for 8.5 years--we had always lived in them before, so when we came to Florida, it was a natural. I wonder if some of the people posting so far have actually lived in Florida in a 2-story house?? Ours is well-built, well-insulated, cool upstairs and down, and we are very happy with it. Most of our neighborhood is made up of 2-stories, as well--all custom built, not cookie-cutter.

Just thought another perspective from someone experiencing it might help .
Attached Thumbnails
2 story houses-dark-house.jpg  

Old 10-26-2007, 04:15 PM

515 posts, read 1,146,181 times
My neighborhood is full of two story houses as well. With the real estate prices around here, you really need a two story house if you want something over 2000 square feet. Otherwise you'd be paying a huge premium for an extra large lot.

The heat issue isn't anything that is unique to Florida. Hot air rises whether you're in Florida or Montana. An efficient air conditioner will keep the second story cool. As to hurricane strength, it is true that even many of the higher end two story houses only feature block or poured concrete construction on the main level. The only two story houses I've seen that feature concrete exterior walls on the second story are those that are oceanfront.

Old 10-26-2007, 05:16 PM

151 posts, read 545,552 times
Builders tend to use the two story home to cram more house in a smaller lot. Plus I agree resale may be a problem in a stand alone home it typically is the norm in a planned community and buyers understand that. The a/c is a problem with exceptions made to help this problem such as the 2 a/c systems, which will add to costs. There is also a noise issue with children in the house. It really depends on your age (do you want to climb stairs as you age) and your goals for staying in the house short or long term.
I personally prefer a split plan ranch, works out with chuldren and later with houseguests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area