U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 01:40 AM

780 posts, read 926,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbondated View Post
I've never been to Laguna Beach, but I would have to say Sarasota is not like the Los Angeles area at all. Only similarity would be the beach. Sarasota is a nice town, but it's not the best place for young single people. Tampa and St. Pete are definately a better choice as far as meeting people your own age. The late 20's / early 30's crowd in Sarasota are primarily married with children.
Actually Laguna Beach is more like Sarasota than LA since it is located in much more conservative/older and whiter Southern Orange County..I'll take the Florida beaches any day over SoCal but I'd take the SoCal coastal weather and incredible diverse scenery of Laguna/Dana Point in a heartbeat over our never ending flatness and humidity hell down here for much of the year..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 11:39 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,009,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Great post - you really nailed it. Sarasota is NOT the best place for the younger crowd, never has been, never will be. Geared toward wealthy conservative retirees. And while I have never personally been to Laguna Beach, I don't think Sarasota would be anything like it.

I would recommend going a bit north to St. Pete - still have beautiful beaches there with a much younger, more eclectic and Bohemian population. More night life and close to Tampa (for the city), etc. And I can't stress enough that the climate here will take MAJOR getting used to after living near the California coast, which has near perfect weather. People just can't comprehend that fact until they get here and are miserable. I would take an extended visit first and see if you can stand it.

Good luck!
I TOTALLY AGREE!!!!!!!!

Old 12-08-2007, 11:42 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,009,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bohemians View Post
We've never lived in Sarasota, and wouldn't call it a "young" city, but we did live in both St Pete & Bradenton (which is close to Sarasota) and spent quite a bit of time in Sarasota. Even though we had lived in Florida and then in Los Angeles, and even though we love it in Florida --- it is a dramatic change from California. In California, you have a perfect climate, you can visit different landscapes by traveling just an hour away, you have options and opportunities, diversity and open minds. We highly recommend that you spend some real time in Sarasota before making the leap. Don't get us wrong, we love Florida, we live up in the Panhandle area and we love it!!! Don't miss the traffic or parking issues at all --- and the quiet of the beach is precious and the Emerald Green waters of the Gulf of Mexico are exquisite. But it is so different from Laguna Beach and will take some adjustments -- and it gets hot, steamy hot.
I have lived in Orange County and San Diego, but Florida has the BEST BEACHES.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,205 times
Default Did you move?

Hey! Just wondering if you ended up moving to Sarasota and if you like it. Am the same age and am not sure if I will be bored to tears or not. And am single female, so if you moved let me know how it is going. Thanks!

Old 06-19-2008, 08:35 PM

172 posts, read 281,324 times
Hey! I lived in Redondo Beach years ago and I prefer Sarasota. You might be more comfortable in a large city but I find sota to be the perfect size.There is a great younger vibe in this city too. Tonight we had two events: one at ceviche and the other at esca. Tomorrow is the outdoor concert at the Van Wezel, saturday is the sarasota music fest at the Opera House and sunday is yoga in Laurel park, brunch and then the beach. We are in our 30's and love this city. peace

Old 06-20-2008, 08:27 AM

4,228 posts, read 8,265,835 times
I think a lot of people don't understand that there is a great "younger" vibe here in Sarasota....it's not all wealthy retirees!

Old 06-21-2008, 10:36 PM

27,237 posts, read 26,926,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
I think a lot of people don't understand that there is a great "younger" vibe here in Sarasota....it's not all wealthy retirees!
Who do you think does all the "work" in Sarasota? Who's working at the grocery store, the gas station, etc.? Not retirees!

Old 06-22-2008, 11:13 AM

132 posts, read 302,172 times
I'd like to jump in on this thread...

I too am in Cali, but the northern part, Sacramento... it gets over 100 here often, and getting worse every year... I don't care if it's a dry heat, it's too much to have 100 temps start in May and have hot weather go through Oct... and I am about 2 hours from everything

I have a job op' in the Tampa/Sarasota area (sales lots of driving) and my problem is... I just turned 50, look about 35 (told this all the time, and young 40's think they are dating a younger guy) and I am young at heart but wouldn't want to hang with honda civic thumping bass crowd... so I am not sure I will fit in with the crowd in Sarasota from what I read on here... but I do like what an established crowd brings to a neighborhood in the way of stability etc... do you know what the avg income is in Sarasota? Would $120-150k per year viable to live there. or would I be better off to go live in the St. pete/tampa area with all things considered? Is there a nice happy medium area that has some urban nightlife, condos with beach views to rent (rent before I buy)... a nice mix of young and older but not stuffy?

Old 06-22-2008, 11:21 AM

10,300 posts, read 16,859,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B to the T View Post
I'd like to jump in on this thread...

I too am in Cali, but the northern part, Sacramento... it gets over 100 here often, and getting worse every year... I don't care if it's a dry heat, it's too much to have 100 temps start in May and have hot weather go through Oct... and I am about 2 hours from everything

I have a job op' in the Tampa/Sarasota area (sales lots of driving) and my problem is... I just turned 50, look about 35 (told this all the time, and young 40's think they are dating a younger guy) and I am young at heart but wouldn't want to hang with honda civic thumping bass crowd... so I am not sure I will fit in with the crowd in Sarasota from what I read on here... but I do like what an established crowd brings to a neighborhood in the way of stability etc... do you know what the avg income is in Sarasota? Would $120-150k per year viable to live there. or would I be better off to go live in the St. pete/tampa area with all things considered? Is there a nice happy medium area that has some urban nightlife, condos with beach views to rent (rent before I buy)... a nice mix of young and older but not stuffy?
At your age and income, you would enjoy either Sarasot or St. Pete. Most people don't make anywhere near that income, and your $$$$$$ go way further than in Cali. Come visit the various towns and see what suits you. Downtown St. Pete is on the water, and has a more laid-back lifestyle. Sarasota is a bit more upscale with older professionals and wealthy retirees, but has become a bit more hip and progressive in the last decade. St. Pete seems younger and hipper though, still, IMO, and is also an easy drive to the more urban town of Tampa, which has even more stuff to do.

Good luck to you!

Old 06-23-2008, 10:57 AM

6 posts, read 262,985 times
we are considering moving to sarasota from NY - My husband and I are both 32 and my son is now 8. Although we plan to have more kids, right now, I am looking into good middle schools and high schools. Any suggestions? I also have a sense that there are lots to do with little kids but how about pretween and teenagers? We of course love the beach and all the outdoore stuff but as my son gets older he wants more independence. Is this a place that kids can ride their bikes around, get ice-creams, play ball and get into a little mischief on their own? Or is this a place where kids get more isolated by community gates and need to be driven everywhere?
How about teenagers? What do they do for fun? Or they can't wait to move away? Please help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area